Is it too late to change my race day nutrition strategy?

Options
VanderTuig1976
VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
Hi,

I will be running a marathon on May 1st (my first) and thought I had my nutrition strategy pretty much laid out. (Gu chomps, water, and GU electrolyte tab water every 5 miles). The race will not have the GU electrolyte beverage I've been training with but will have Gatorade.

I plan to carry my own gels but am really re-thinking the electrolyte water. If I use it, I will have to wear a hydration belt and I'm not sure I'll want to do that for 26.2 miles. I ran with my belt for 15 miles this last weekend and it didn't seem to bother me but I realize it could get annoying during the latter half of the race not to mention the extra weight it will add.

I have a 12 mile run planned for this Saturday. I usually don't fuel for runs shorter than 13 miles but am wondering if this might be a good opportunity to experiment with Gatorade? Is it too late to try?

Also, I'm wondering if I will need the electrolyte water - weather on race day should be between 60-75 degrees. I've used salt sticks before so that could be an alternative to the electrolyte water.

Any thoughts or advice is very much appreciated!!!

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I definitely would not go with the hydration belt since you do not know how it will work out. At 60-75 degrees for a full marathon you should replace some electrolytes which should be in the GU chomps. Maybe just add an extra GU chomp or two? That way you are not really doing anything too new.
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    I didn't realize the GU chomps could be used to replace electrolytes - duh!!!! Guess I should pay more attention to the ingredients;)

Thanks for the input!!!
    I definitely would not go with the hydration belt since you do not know how it will work out. At 60-75 degrees for a full marathon you should replace some electrolytes which should be in the GU chomps. Maybe just add an extra GU chomp or two? That way you are not really doing anything too new.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would stick with what you know -- hydration belt and all. If the belt was ok for 15 miles, it'll probably be just fine for 26. When testing out new socks, gear, shorts, etc. I can tell if it's good or not after about 10-12 miles.

Also, 60-75 is pretty warm so you may want to have that electrolyte added water in addition to on-course water and gatorade (this is why I always bring along the hand-held bottle I train with). The belt isn't adding THAT much weight, and it will weigh less the farther you run as you drink the water. And honestly in the last miles of a marathon there are other annoyances to take your attention besides a water belt ;)

Another thing to consider: how to carry those gels/chomps without the hydration belt, which I would guess has pockets/storage area? That's one big reason that I like to have my own water; the zip pocket holds the 2 gels that don't fit in my shorts.
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    Personally, I would stick with what you know -- hydration belt and all. If the belt was ok for 15 miles, it'll probably be just fine for 26. When testing out new socks, gear, shorts, etc. I can tell if it's good or not after about 10-12 miles.

Also, 60-75 is pretty warm so you may want to have that electrolyte added water in addition to on-course water and gatorade (this is why I always bring along the hand-held bottle I train with). The belt isn't adding THAT much weight, and it will weigh less the farther you run as you drink the water. And honestly in the last miles of a marathon there are other annoyances to take your attention besides a water belt ;)

Another thing to consider: how to carry those gels/chomps without the hydration belt, which I would guess has pockets/storage area? That's one big reason that I like to have my own water; the zip pocket holds the 2 gels that don't fit in my shorts.

Thanks for the advice. Reason tells me to wear the belt.....it just looks so dorky (I know a marathon is not a time to worry about what you look like, but I just can't help it, lol). Plus, in the pictures from last year's race, I didn't see any of the other runners wearing a belt - I worry that I'll be the only one. I guess I should care but I don't want my appearance to scream, "first time marathoner!" Better safe than sorry, I suppose!

Do you carry a hand-held bottle when you run marathons? I have an Amphipod which I've used for halfs but didn't like the feeling of the water sloshing back and forth after the bottle was half empty.

I plan to pin my gels in my shorts - I haven't tried this yet so I'm not sure how many gels my shorts will hold.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ah, I'm not brave enough to pin gels to my shorts. I have panicky daydream thoughts of them falling off or getting jabbed by a loosened pin. I've got some shorts with spacious pockets so I'll have my phone, ID, cash in the back pocket and gels in the side pocket. Then I'll have 1-2 gels in my water bottle zip as well as my salt-caps and an extra nuun tab. So much stuff!!

I do take the bottle with me for marathons (not HMs though; I don't take any water/fuel during a HM race). For me, having my own hand-held serves three purposes: 1) I can skip the first few water stops when they're most congested, 2) I can bring my own supplementary drink (water + nuun, these days) to have between stops since I usually want water more often than every 2-3 miles, and 3) it can hold stuff since it has a zip pocket on the holder. Switching hands every .5 mile or so gives me something to think about and focus on besides my tired legs, and I don't even notice the sloshing after a while. I train with it on all my longest runs though, and have run with a bottle for YEARS, so I've got quite the tolerance!

I know a few people that will run with a hydration belt in races. You gotta do what you gotta do! But if you don't need it for storage and are fine drinking only at water stops, then you can probably ditch it if you'd rather.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am with @kristinegift , I carry a 10 oz handheld for my marathons for those very reasons she stated (except I only put water in it). But I see a lot of people with hydration belts at races. If that's what you are used to, I would stick with it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Interesting conversation. This is something I was wondering about already too. Longest run so far has been 8 miles, and I've never carried a water bottle, but for my half in July, I'm considering it, since it will be HOT and having something for in between water stations would be nice....and I can't stand having anything in my hands while I run.

I have a camelbak, but not really seeing the need for a 2L backpack of water/fluids
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    To hop in on the fuel belt/hand held debate:
    I used a fuel belt for about a year of training and two half marathons. I really liked that it gave me space to store my phone and keys and that I was able to keep my hands free. Saw a lot of other people wearing them at races too. It worked really well for me for a while, except I found that I had to slow down a lot in order to take the bottles out of the little holders and put them back again. This didn't bother me when I was running 2+ hour half marathons and walking through some of the water stations any ways. Once I got faster though, I started to care about the 5-10 seconds I lost everytime I had to mess with the bottles, which is why I switched to a hand held about a year ago. Still not crazy about having to carry it, but now I don't have to slow down at all to hydrate. I recently bought a hydration vest that I'm planning to test out for some of my long training runs this summer so I guess I'll have to re-update you then :wink:
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    Interesting conversation. This is something I was wondering about already too. Longest run so far has been 8 miles, and I've never carried a water bottle, but for my half in July, I'm considering it, since it will be HOT and having something for in between water stations would be nice....and I can't stand having anything in my hands while I run.

I have a camelbak, but not really seeing the need for a 2L backpack of water/fluids

The half where I used my handheld was in August in a location where temps can be upwards of 100 degrees by mid-morning. I used the water in my hand-held to squirt my head and chest every couple of miles - really helped to keep me cool and feeling good!
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    Ah, I'm not brave enough to pin gels to my shorts. I have panicky daydream thoughts of them falling off or getting jabbed by a loosened pin. I've got some shorts with spacious pockets so I'll have my phone, ID, cash in the back pocket and gels in the side pocket. Then I'll have 1-2 gels in my water bottle zip as well as my salt-caps and an extra nuun tab. So much stuff!!

I do take the bottle with me for marathons (not HMs though; I don't take any water/fuel during a HM race). For me, having my own hand-held serves three purposes: 1) I can skip the first few water stops when they're most congested, 2) I can bring my own supplementary drink (water + nuun, these days) to have between stops since I usually want water more often than every 2-3 miles, and 3) it can hold stuff since it has a zip pocket on the holder. Switching hands every .5 mile or so gives me something to think about and focus on besides my tired legs, and I don't even notice the sloshing after a while. I train with it on all my longest runs though, and have run with a bottle for YEARS, so I've got quite the tolerance!

I know a few people that will run with a hydration belt in races. You gotta do what you gotta do! But if you don't need it for storage and are fine drinking only at water stops, then you can probably ditch it if you'd rather.

Now I'm scared about pinning my gels to my shorts, lol!!! Thanks for the tips on how to carry everything using a handheld. I'm considering looking for some shorts with pockets and using my Amphipod instead of my fuel belt.

I never considered switching arms every xxx miles - great idea! In hindsight, it was no wonder the arm holding the bottle always hurt after a long run:)
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am with @kristinegift , I carry a 10 oz handheld for my marathons for those very reasons she stated (except I only put water in it). But I see a lot of people with hydration belts at races. If that's what you are used to, I would stick with it.

I actually have more experience with the handheld than my belt. The shorts I run in don't have pockets which is why I purchased a belt. The longest run I've done with the belt has been 15 miles, and, as another poster mentioned, I had to stop to take the bottles out and drink. I found it much more difficult to manage than my handheld.

My long runs have all been in my neighborhood so I would stop by my house for water, gels, etc. In hindsight, I should have planned my strategy for carrying everything with me much earlier than I did. I think, at this point, the best solution is to find running shorts with pockets. Between the pockets and the pouch on my hand-held, I should have enough room for my gels.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I wear a hydration belt every time I run more than 2.99 miles. Which means I only run without it 2 or 3 times a year. My second 5k race I didn't wear my belt and I tried drinking from a cup on the run and wound up choking and coughing, so know I always take my own water. This has the added advantage of not being tied to where and how often the organizers decide to place drink/aid stations.

I have an Amphipod RunLite Stretch 4Plus(?)(they have changed their line up and don't actually sell what I have anymore). The bottles I have are not their current XTech bottles, which self center as you snap them into the "docking base", but the 1st(?) generation bottles where a ridge on the arms of the base snap into a grove that runs part way along either side of the bottle. This means that the grove has to be aligned properly to the base to properly snap in and stay put. Once I determined that it would take a little effort/skill to undock and redock the bottles I made a point of practicing it before each run while I was doing my warmup routine until it became second nature.

Using a hydration belt bottles and pouches or a handheld bottle is just like any other component of race readiness, you need to train the techniques ahead of time so that you don't have to think about it during a race, you just do it.

I ran a marathon two weeks ago and at the start it was 30 degrees and it warmed up into the 50s by noon. I wore a jacket and 5 miles in I took my arms out of the jacket, leaving the bottom tucked under my hydration belt, and knotted the sleeves so the top would not flop around or drag on the ground. This basically meant every time I accessed my bottles or pouches that I was doing it by feel under my jacket, but I didn't have to slow down or stop because it is all automatic for me at this point.

Whether you use a handheld or a belt is up to you, but make sure that you get some practice loaded up the way you will be at the start of your race. Even if it is only a 4 or 5 mile run, load up your 8 gels, and 16 oz.(?) of water, electrolyte tabs, etc.; and go for your run. If you are going to use your own electrolyte tabs, then start with plain water and add a tab a few miles in on the run. Practice getting your gels out of your various stashes while running and putting them back. What are you going to do with your empty gels? I put my empties in a snack size ziplock bag that I keep in a pouch or pocket, so that might be another thing to practice. If you are using a handheld then on your 12 mile run practice actually consuming a couple gels or chomps to make sure that you can manage opening the package and consuming the contents with a bottle in one hand.

You want to make sure you can do these different tasks without disrupting your running and that where you are stashing your supplies will not interfere with your running or cause irritation.
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    trswallow wrote: »

Whether you use a handheld or a belt is up to you, but make sure that you get some practice loaded up the way you will be at the start of your race. Even if it is only a 4 or 5 mile run, load up your 8 gels, and 16 oz.(?) of water, electrolyte tabs, etc.; and go for your run. If you are going to use your own electrolyte tabs, then start with plain water and add a tab a few miles in on the run. Practice getting your gels out of your various stashes while running and putting them back. What are you going to do with your empty gels? I put my empties in a snack size ziplock bag that I keep in a pouch or pocket, so that might be another thing to practice. If you are using a handheld then on your 12 mile run practice actually consuming a couple gels or chomps to make sure that you can manage opening the package and consuming the contents with a bottle in one hand.

I practiced this weekend with my handheld and it worked beautifully! Thanks for the advice, I feel much more confident about my strategy!!!