up's and downs

Options
Skittles2183
Skittles2183 Posts: 1,620 Member
I posted before I was thinking of having the gastric bypass surgery. I thought long and hard about it read every book i could find on it, spoke to people who had it,who were having it. went to the office and talked with people about the surgery and I have decided that as of 2016 I am not going to have the surgery. It really scared me so much and back in 2014 I lost 70lbs I know I can do this. It's going to take a lot of work and crying and a lot of up's and downs but I am going to lose what I can on my own and just take it one day at a time.

Replies

• FloraJL
    FloraJL Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I believe in you!

Of all the people I know who've had weight loss surgery in one form or another and are more than 5 years out (about 10 or so), only one would do it again. The negative side effects are more impactful than they originally thought, and one has gained all of the weight back plus more.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Good for you Skittles. Just take it slow and steady - it will happen. This is a good group to be in for support as you don't get all the negative responses seen on the main forums. We can all relate and understand. Personally I wouldn't want the bypass surgery either I have seen so many people gain back the weight or have major complications. Each day of success puts you one step closer to your goals so welcome to the shared journey.
  • Deem114
    Deem114 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Skittles, you absolutely can do this and have already proven you know what it takes.

I went through all the decision making processes, researched all the different procedures, appealed every way I could with my insurance to cover it (which were all denied) and even considered financing the surgery because after all, this was my health and well-being we're talking about. For years I thought surgery was the only way I could lose this insurmountable amount of weight and with every rejection and appeal denial, I fell deeper into depression and food addiction.

I also know there will be a lot of ups and downs, but as long as I can keep from getting discouraged and stay rational and know this will not be a quick or easy process...I know I can make it, and so can you. :smiley:

Good luck to you!
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's very awesome that you've chosen to not have the surgery (granted it works for some, it saves some people's lives) and I don't know how to give you accolades without really undercutting those that have done it, if that makes sense, not trying to pick sides surgery vs not, but if you can do it without it, then I think that's wonderful!

Surgery was in the very back of my mind but that's where it always stayed. I could never afford it even if I wanted to. And emotionally I don't think it would be a good fit for me either. I lost 60 pounds in 12' and gained it all back since and pretty much gave up. This year I took my health back into my hands. Recently I was prescribed victoza which is supposed to help with blood sugar (that I don't have a issue with at all) and help with weight loss. I sat at my desk with the needle in my hand after reading the side effects and just thought, what am I doing? Am I really this desperate? I threw it in the trash. I can do this without surgery or medication, and if you put your mind and heart in it, I believe you can too :)
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I understand the dilemma too. I have recently decided to go on a waiting list to see a surgeon here, i have lost 26 lbs on my own but my doctor is very worried as i have a lot of health problems! The way i see it, where i live i will probably be on a list for 2 years, if i am this fat in 2 years i need the surgery. If i am at least under 250 i wont qualify anymore! im hoping for the latter i dont want any more surgery!!

Keep pushing hard for yourself we are all here for you :)
  • Skittles2183
    Skittles2183 Posts: 1,620 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. It has been a hard road and I would never want to put anyone done who did or is having the surgery because I read that it is not the easy way out. you still have to really work at it to keep it off. you just lose it faster because you are not eating as much. so one day at a time and this group is amazing. I will get to 299 this year. that is my goal.
  • bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I thought about the surgery myself but decided against it. One friend of mine almost died on the table. That's very scary! I have lost 30 pounds since November, which is kinda slow, but it's still losing. I have issues with my ankles which keeps me from doing a lot of walking or dvd's. I am waiting for a referral to a podiatrist to get shoe inserts so i dont have that issue anymore (at least I hope so). You can do it without the surgery. Just post often and we will be here to support you...good luck!
  • stephaniejenson
    stephaniejenson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am new to myfitnesspal and also to this group. Surgery wouldn't ever be an option for me due to health problems (not related to my weight) - it would be too risky. It has been so daunting to me and I have previously thought "what's the point" because people my size need surgery and pills to lose weight. After coming on here I realise that there are a lot of hardworking supportive people who have lost a lot of weight. If I surround myself with these types of people and also people going through the same struggles I am - I am sure I will be able to do this!!! It won't be an easy or quick process but it will be worth it.