A motivation epiphany

Options
ctevis36
ctevis36 Posts: 32 Member
It's interesting how different meals cause different feel-good or feel-bad emotions. Case in point ( and i don't mind admitting this), I had a Big Mac and French fries last night. It was yummy, no doubt. I don't feel bad admitting this because life gets in the way sometimes. Back to my point, there was a potluck at my office today. I didn't go overboard I just ended up snacking all day. Because of this, I only had a salad for dinner.
Now that I'm going to bed, I feel the difference between McDonald's and a salad. I feel so much better tonight!! It's definitely motivating to keep eating a mostly plant based diet.

Replies

• smelbo
    smelbo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I am not a big Mac person. But I do love my pizza and beer occassions. Next day blob city. I guess as long as I don't do it every day, and save it for special occasions. You know that saying..." Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"
  • sammyb122
    sammyb122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're so right. You never feel as good as the food tastes. When I'm having a craving for something "bad for me" (cookies are my downfall), I need to remember how bloated and just plan uncomfortable I feel afterward. It probably doesn't help that I don't have just one, but three or four cookies :\ I need to keep this in mind when I'm hungry and reaching for bad foods.
  • ctevis36
    ctevis36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    sammyb122 wrote: »
    Yes, you're so right. You never feel as good as the food tastes. When I'm having a craving for something "bad for me" (cookies are my downfall), I need to remember how bloated and just plan uncomfortable I feel afterward. It probably doesn't help that I don't have just one, but three or four cookies :\ I need to keep this in mind when I'm hungry and reaching for bad foods.

Sammy, it helps me to know my remaining calorie allottment before I reach for my coworker's fun-size candy bar jar.
  • sisu89
    sisu89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For sure! Last week I had a burger and fries for dinner and felt so bloated and just uncomfortably full. Honestly the one meal was probably close to my *entire* calorie allotment for the day. Since then I've been eating tons of veggies, and minimal meats/potatoes and I feel great! This morning, it looked like I'd lost 5 pounds over the course of a few days!

Now to get myself to exercise!
  • kstewart1021
    kstewart1021 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ctevis36 wrote: »
    It's interesting how different meals cause different feel-good or feel-bad emotions. Case in point ( and i don't mind admitting this), I had a Big Mac and French fries last night. It was yummy, no doubt. I don't feel bad admitting this because life gets in the way sometimes. Back to my point, there was a potluck at my office today. I didn't go overboard I just ended up snacking all day. Because of this, I only had a salad for dinner.
    Now that I'm going to bed, I feel the difference between McDonald's and a salad. I feel so much better tonight!! It's definitely motivating to keep eating a mostly plant based diet.

Hi. I am feeling you. I am an emotional eater (at times). Eating things that are not so healthy feel good at the time yet always seem to have some guilt attached. I try to think of it as not winning every battle but trying to win the war on eating healthy, feeling good, and keeping myself motivated although I may have lost a "battle" for the day. Gook luck on your plant based diet!
  • kstewart1021
    Options
    smelbo wrote: »
    You are so right. I am not a big Mac person. But I do love my pizza and beer occassions. Next day blob city. I guess as long as I don't do it every day, and save it for special occasions. You know that saying..." Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

I like that smelbo! You call it "blob city", I call it feeling like a "slug"! I wish I could just save my splurges to just special occasions but it is hard.
  • kstewart1021
    Options
    sammyb122 wrote: »

Well, I must confess, all sweets are my downfall! I overdo it anytime I get around them! 3 or 4 cookies and I am just getting warmed up....I keep telling myself that I deserve it and that I am doing good b/c I am maintaining my weight (currently 151 lbs). Time to lose that 10-15lbs that keep making me feel uncomfortable. Good luck to you, as well!
  • kstewart1021
    Options
    sisu89 wrote: »
    For sure! Last week I had a burger and fries for dinner and felt so bloated and just uncomfortably full. Honestly the one meal was probably close to my *entire* calorie allotment for the day. Since then I've been eating tons of veggies, and minimal meats/potatoes and I feel great! This morning, it looked like I'd lost 5 pounds over the course of a few days!

Now to get myself to exercise!

Good luck in reaching your goal of getting out to exercise! I live in the mountains of WNC and the cold weather, which used to not phase me a decade ago, keeps my motivation to get out low sometimes....but once I do get out and warm up after a few, the cold doesn't phase me. We gotta try to keep up the motivation cause, unfortunately, good intentions ain't gonna get 'er dun!
  • kstewart1021
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading the posts here for this group. I am new to "my fitness pal" as of yesterday and am looking for some support and motivation to help spur me toward my fitness, life, and health goals! By nature, I am more of a solitary person. I am a runner, have been running since middle school. I enjoy that running doesn't require a gym membership, only a pair of decent shoes, and the will to get out and get going. A decade ago, I could eat whatever I wanted and just "run it off". But now, close to my mid-40's, that just isn't the case. For example, I have kept a running log for years. This past year I average running approx. 50 miles a month, some months a lot more yet some a lot less. At any rate, I weighed 153.6 lbs. one year ago and now I weigh 151 so you all do the math. Not a whole lot of progress. I liked this group b/c the not-that-heavy aspect applies. I have done the 'ol BMI calculation and have always been in the ideal weight category yet need to lose that last 10-15 lbs to feel comfortable in my skin. I am open to any comments, input, or support any in this group can provide! I am trying this group as a way to open up and share my failures, successes, and the like. Be glad to do the same for ya'll! I am determined to make 2016 my year for reaching my fitness goals a reality! I am going to try to get online each day and post to track my progress....good luck to each of you, as well!
  • kstewart1021
    Options
    Had a great day yesterday yet slightly ambitious in my exercise goal. Parked the car and made a fairly large running loop toward town and back. Thought it may take an hour yet ended up taking 66 min with the last mile or so being on a slight upgrade. I considered walking the last 0.5 mi yet didn't. Can't say much for the pace except I did not walk! Felt good to finish up. Anybody else a runner?
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Had a great day yesterday yet slightly ambitious in my exercise goal. Parked the car and made a fairly large running loop toward town and back. Thought it may take an hour yet ended up taking 66 min with the last mile or so being on a slight upgrade. I considered walking the last 0.5 mi yet didn't. Can't say much for the pace except I did not walk! Felt good to finish up. Anybody else a runner?

I do short distance (think 5k) and cycling. I try to rotate days and sometimes I cycle in the am and run in the pm. I'm in my mid 40s too, so I totally get what you said in your earlier post.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner/MMA fighter/weightlifter with a cracked rib and an angry attitude (at the moment; the rib makes me crabby). I stayed with a friend this weekend for a 12th Night party 3 hours to the north; I drove because she can't. Between the drive, the snow, and the complaining rib (did I mention she needed some help moving her things from her apartment?), I was in a bad mood when I got there, but then I realized that:

(1) Their eating schedule is roughly 4 hours off of mine--I was either always hungry or uncomfortably full for the duration of my stay;
    (2) The bed I was given was up a rickety, crooked flight of stairs with a wobbly banister and steps about half the width of my size 8 feet;
    (3) They're a "praying" house and didn't give me the run of the kitchen, so I always had to wait to eat even longer for food (I nearly fainted twice);
    and (4) My friend's mother has osteoporosis. She also drinks Diet Coke (several a day) and her yogurt has 32 g of sugar per serving and she puts half a cup of brown sugar in two servings of oatmeal. All the food was like that. If I wasn't fainting, I was so hopped up on sugar that my extremities tingled.

One more thing: there was not a single vegetable in the house.

Enough complaining: my motivational revelation was that I was incredibly, stunningly, incomprehensibly healthy in comparison. A year ago I might not have noticed the lack of veggies and the sugar might not have made me so sick, but I'm also at a considerably lower risk now of developing osteoporosis/osteoarthritis, cavities, muscle cramps, migraines...all of which my friend's mother has to a debilitating extent. I am also so grateful that I didn't die on those stairs that I am thinking of making a New Year's promise to God.
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a little late to this conversation, but I have to say that I have mild arthritis, and when I have a "bad for you food" day, the next day always hurts. Physically. Like, from the joints in my toes to the joints in my fingers hurt. It turns into a downward spiral because when I hurt, I don't want to work out, and I want to comfort myself with more "bad for you food!" But, when I can kick my tail into gear and eat well for just one day, the difference I feel the next morning is huge, which inspires me to work out, and keep eating properly - it's an upward spiral! When I realized just how much my food choices meant to my overall well-being - that was my ah-ha moment!