Anyone ever feel wiped out after workouts?

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
I tend to feel wiped out the rest of the day if I do a 30-60 min work out earlier in the day. My trainer swears it is carb-related, but I'm hoping she is incorrect. In general, I am in the 50-100 carbs per day, but my morning workouts are usually operating on roughly 20 g. Anyone with similar experience? Anything you can do to fight the fatigue? Will the fatigue go away at some point?

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's not carb related, although it may be electrolyte related.

I stay under 25g net and work out vigorously 3 - 6x per week, often in the mornings. My energy is fine as long as I supplement electrolytes! You might give ketoade a try.

Edit to add: I usually work out in a fasting state.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the electrolytes.

Like @Panda_Poptarts, I stay under 25g net and work out 5-6x a week. I have no problem with it and generally don't feel too fatigued, but I keep up on my electrolytes with a magnesium citrate supplement and use LiteSalt on almost all of my food.

The fatigue may also end if you keep at it - the body will adjust. Have you been exercising for long?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    yes its much more likely an electrolyte thing. I used to feel like that after doing nothing then I'd have a bottle of water with some salt added and feel like I could run a million miles. I'd say take a bottle of water add a 1/4 tsp salt to it and drink before/during working out and see how you feel.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yep. I agree with those guys. :smile:
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I do lite salt (potassium + sodium). 3 - 5 grams in a bottle of water, depending on my fatigue level and how hard I intend to work out. I sip throughout my workout, and I feel awesome.
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel wiped out for the day if I do morning exercise regardless of what I'm eating. My body just doesn't like to do it early in the morning. I either have to find time between 10-2pm if my children sleep, or later in the evening.
    I hope the electrolytes work for you!
  • Vilzi
    Vilzi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have had a trainer tell me a similar thing about carbohydrates - they were totally wrong! Salt was definitely the issue, not the lack of carbs. If you opt to use an oral rehydration solution to up your electrolytes, just ensure you check the label, a lot have unnecessary sugars thrown in.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    salt for me too. I learnt once that if you put a 1/4 teaspoon of celtic salt in hot water and drink, and it is not disgusting, then you body needs the salt. Contrary to old advice, most people do really well with salt, and anyone inclined to low blood pressure often needs more. IN Australia, table salt has additives that are not so good for you, so I buy rock salt, or celtic salt.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    FitToLead wrote: »
    salt for me too. I learnt once that if you put a 1/4 teaspoon of celtic salt in hot water and drink, and it is not disgusting, then you body needs the salt. Contrary to old advice, most people do really well with salt, and anyone inclined to low blood pressure often needs more. IN Australia, table salt has additives that are not so good for you, so I buy rock salt, or celtic salt.

Yes, I have low bp especially after exercise, it hits really hard when my sodium is low. Normally things go dark for a second every time I stand up, but it clears out really quick like a wave sort of. Last time after jogging, I could feel it coming on and starting to go dark but didn't clear up then got really dizzy. It was scary as hell, had to grab the railing and sit on the porch, then had powerade with extra salt, felt much better after about an hour. Checked my bp once I made it in the house and it was something like 90/62. I have always craved salt and salted my food more than anyone, now I know why. I can't handle keto levels though because I can't get my sodium to stay consistent.