Ground Beef Diet ... mmm, maybe not.

Options
reblazed
reblazed Posts: 255 Member
I hadn't really considered the 30 day (or two week, or whatever) ground beef diet but I had 2 lbs thawed out .. so why not do a day or 2 and see how it goes? Started Saturday adding only my morning drinks, tea, bouillon etc and decided to continue on Sunday since all was going well. Hopped out of bed Sunday and couldn't believe how badly my foot hurt. Large toe, bottom knuckle. I have never had gout before but judging from how my son has been affected in the past, I do believe I am susceptible too. Don't know for certain that is what it was ... but after eating dried cherries (ruined my carbs for the day!) the pain is receding. I'll possibly try with a "better" brand of ground beef in a week or so but might just continue using only rib-eye for my beef (obviously NOT ground). Anyone have any idea if different cuts of beef have different affects on the metabolism?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yeah, different cuts have different levels of purines. No idea what's in your ground beef, but organ meat has higher levels than other parts.

Dried cherries wouldn't be my first choice as a cure since fructose has also been implicated in gout.
  • reblazed
    Options
    Thanks, @wabmester . I don't know what was in it either. It was a gift to my neighbor who is a vegetarian. She gave it to me. I'll have a chuck roast ground next time and see what happens/ Cherries are the only natural remedy I've ever heard of ... and they worked.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    reblazed wrote: »
    Thanks, @wabmester . I don't know what was in it either. It was a gift to my neighbor who is a vegetarian. She gave it to me. I'll have a chuck roast ground next time and see what happens/ Cherries are the only natural remedy I've ever heard of ... and they worked.

The cherries that are supposed to work are TART CHERRIES. There is a specific compound in them that helps process the uric acid, though admittedly I don't understand all of the logistics. Sometimes it just allows a stress relief to allow the process to occur organically, too. My understanding is that the majority of gout episodes never pass quicker than a few days, even with the more extreme medications, unless caught at the earliest sign. Sounds like you got lucky all around!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I also have been trying different meats. Last night I tried a corned beef brisket in a crock pot with pearl onions and beef broth for 4 hours. I was excited because it was a huge piece of meat for five dollars. Well, it was terrible. HAHA. Very grizzly, chewy, but flavorful. I could only eat the fat. Still, I was expecting something more like a pot roast. It wasn't. On the other hand, the night before I went to Burton's Restaurant and spent $35.00 on a ribeye. OMG! Now, that was delicious! I think ground beef, ground lamb, ground sirloin are a happy medium. I didn't do the April challenge, but I still incorporate hamburg meats as a basic, easy, relatively inexpensive go to for dinners. I can't comment on how the different cuts effect metabolism. I think opting for organic meats and meats without nitrates, and avoiding deli meats will go further for you. For me, the important piece is looking forward to what I eat for meals, I prefer meats that are easy to grill, less prep time, including if I can store and freeze it, and the price, all play a more important role. It's not going to work, if I don't do it and do it consistently.
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Corn meat needs to cook low and slow to be tender. I generally cook it all day while I am at work. My family loves it. Try it again cook it on low for 8-10 hours it is delicious
  • reblazed
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thanks for that info. I do not have access to what type my son had on hand but they certainly were not sweet :) plus I did not mean to mislead anyone by saying 'they worked'. The discomfort is not gone but it's not painful if you know what I mean. Yep, I did get lucky by knowing what it might be AND having access to the remedy immediately.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    reblazed wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss Thanks for that info. I do not have access to what type my son had on hand but they certainly were not sweet :) plus I did not mean to mislead anyone by saying 'they worked'. The discomfort is not gone but it's not painful if you know what I mean. Yep, I did get lucky by knowing what it might be AND having access to the remedy immediately.

@reblazed Some people have more gout flare ups too, eating low carb or keto, but others get better, so there's no telling! Glad it took the horrible edge off the pain. I've never suffered it myself, but my coworker has, before going keto with me, and he's very ... descriptive, so I got an idea. He seems to react more to grains than he does to protein with his gout, but he's very well BPC'd up, so that might be another protective layer. :)