Newbie questions...

Options
klala042
klala042 Posts: 175 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
I just started the program last week and my second day (first Time doing B ) I messed my lower back up. I have zero core strength and deadlifts pushed me over the edge. I've been watching Alan Thrall videos as well as Mark Rippetoe vids to try and get my form down but I totally failed. So I took the rest of the week off last week and started over yesterday. I switched to doing front squats for now because it's easier for me to feel when my form is bad. Are there any other alternatives to deadlift? Or should I just do super low weights and stick with the traditional squat and deadlift until I'm confident I have good form? I'm working out of my basement with the jankiest set of weights you can imagine but I'd rather not get a personal trainer unless it's highly recommended. Any ideas, constructive criticism would be appreciated!

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    if you seriously hurt something, please realise i might not be steering you right here. actual injuries are out of my scope. but with that said:

i think getting the form is a good place to start, but it doesn't have to be either/or. you can also do 'accessory' things to help yourself get acquainted with the muscles you're going to use. understand i'm not an expert, but i kind of struggle to 'feel' my core too so here are some of the things i try to do:

- if you've never tried doing planks, that is one heck of a fast track to that 'engage your abs' sensation. and if you've never done one before, prepare for very short endurance. i think my first plank lasted 20 seconds at the most, and the next day i discovered we have all these muscles between our ribs that i hadn't known about. they all hurt like hell.
    - you could look up the valsalva manoeuvre and play with that as an exercise in its own right. breathing into the belly was something i had to consciously concentrate on and i'm still kind of left-handed at it.
    - front squats actually help me with the core thing. you need to stay more upright, and you need to keep your chest up. so i do them almost just so i'll be remembering how to recruit those muscles and how it should feel when i do.
    - goblet squats with a kettlebell are another one. i also just practice getting down into the bottom position with a kettlebell held in front of me, and then 'holding' myself there. when you hold the position, you have to breathe, and when you breathe in the position it's easier to figure out how to breathe consciously and make the right muscles work to do it.
    - look around for info on various 'carry' moves. this is as simple as it gets - just walking around with a weight either in your hands [suitcase carry] or stacked on one shoulder [farmer carry]. it's simple but one or two ciruits of that are a hell of a core activator.

i also do dimel deadlifts (see google) as an accessory lift for hamstrings. in my case this is because i suck at squats, not deadlifts. but i'm effectively 'not squatting' at all because i still can't seem to do it without doing it wrong. be careful with the dimels though as they involve the 'hip hinge' movement and i can tell you that very subtle form differences can make my s.i. joint feel pretty crunchy on the next day.

as far as trainers go: gmpfhm. this is very personal choice, but i don't really regret holding out for a year and a half before i looked for one. i definitely did a lot of things wrong when i was on my own, but i don't think 'training' is for everyone. if you're like me, then there's no point in finding a trainer until you know enough to know how to find the kind of trainer who can actually help. and in my case, that took a patch of time where i defined my criteria in my own mind.

you're using good sources with thrall and rippetoe, i believe.

• klala042
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I just recently discovered goblet squats and love them! I will definitely try pausing at the bottom and breathing. I have two girls aged 2 and 9 months so I carry extra weight around all day, does that count as a "carry move" lol. Thanks for the tips, you gave me some new ideas!
  • klala042
    Options
    Another question- warm up? What does that look like for you? Has it changed over time as your lifts got heavier?
    I mean other than warmup lifts. Today I did 10min on the elliptical and spent 5 min doing a few different stretches. I'm wondering if I should reverse that or just leave the elliptical out all together.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    klala042 wrote: »
    I have two girls aged 2 and 9 months so I carry extra weight around all day, does that count as a "carry move" lol.

it . . . maybe does. but you can't really carry your kids like a plate or a kettlebell unless you're consciously engaging the best muscles to cart them around with Good Form :P when my kid was a toddler i ended up at the chiropractor because doing that one-sided hip-carry with him had thrown a few things out of whack. basically, i wouldn't count on kid-carrying to give you good form although of course they are going to strengthen whatever muscles you do use.

as far as warmup, i bike to my gym time so have never worried much about the cardio aspect of it once i get there. it is useful for getting me a little more core-and-hamstring conscious, i guess. the other things that i now do religiously are more like mobility or isolated-muscle warmups. i do 'dislocates' with a broomstick, band pulls for my upper back and shoulders, and (when i'm being responsible) a bit of external rotation work for the shoulders as well. and i do air squats as a range-of-motion check before i do any actual squats.
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else encountered the sexist form correctors? My gym is pretty segregated, women in the cardio area men in the weight lifting area. Any time I go into the weight area without my husband some random guy corrects my form. Today I started my first 5x5 workout. I watched the videos twice and practiced my form before going to the gym. While I was doing the barbell row, an old guy came up to me and was like "you don't want to do that exercise it will make your back too big. Stick to the squats." I can't imagine having the audacity to tell a stranger what part of their body they should workout. I could tell that he thought he was being nice so I just smiled and nodded telling him that I was following a specific workout, but I know that his assumption is that because I'm a woman I don't know what I'm doing and he has every right to correct me. It's 2016 in NYC and this is still happening?!?
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else encountered the sexist form correctors? My gym is pretty segregated, women in the cardio area men in the weight lifting area. Any time I go into the weight area without my husband some random guy corrects my form. Today I started my first 5x5 workout. I watched the videos twice and practiced my form before going to the gym. While I was doing the barbell row, an old guy came up to me and was like "you don't want to do that exercise it will make your back too big. Stick to the squats." I can't imagine having the audacity to tell a stranger what part of their body they should workout. I could tell that he thought he was being nice so I just smiled and nodded telling him that I was following a specific workout, but I know that his assumption is that because I'm a woman I don't know what I'm doing and he has every right to correct me. It's 2016 in NYC and this is still happening?!?

It doesn't even sound like he was critiquing your form.. what an a**hat. For me, at this point the ONLY people that have given me suggestions on form are people I've asked (friends & trainers). All I can say is to use that to fuel your workout and keep going and continuing with your SL program and SHOW them how bada** your back looks in 6 months. I'm pretty lucky that there are quite a few other women using the weight room at my gym and even a few lifting heavy on the racks. Just think what an inspiration you will be to the next women that want to step across the line and lift with you. Keep on going.. SL is the best thing I have ever done for myself! I LOVE IT!

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    nobody's done that to me, but i'm sure they would if i were 20 years younger. how freaking presumptuous.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @tracymayyoung Wow. That is effed up. He has no right to give any opinion about what exercises you chose to do for your body. I've had a man correct my squat form early on when I was still at a gym. I was a little embarrassed but he gave me good info and was trying to help me prevent an injury. That is not what your experience was like. Sorry. I hope he leaves you alone from now on :#
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    So, he didn't want your back to get too "big", but he didn't mind if it was your booty. :) Typical, lol.