Haven't lost anything since 4/2!

Options
KDar1988
KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
So frustrating! I bounce up a few down a few but I can't get past my current weight. I am religiously counting calories and cannot understand why I don't lose on 800 calories a day, not counting exercise. Ughhhh.... All I seem to do is complain about how hard it is to lose weight. It never comes easy. Sorry to be such a downer. Just wish I knew what to do.

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    How recently was surgery? There are probably many factors why people stop losing weight. I personally believe no one should eat less than 1200 calories unless recommended by doctor/dietician. Bodies need fuel. With in a month of surgery I was eating 1500 calories and now eat 2-3k everyday. But I move, CONSTANTLY. I don't have the answer but my suggestion would be to slightly up the calories and try to get in more exercise. :-)
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating. I don't get much more calories than you do. I heard upping calories does work for some people. Most docs wont give a hard number for calorie intake which can be confusing. I starting doing interval stepping on my stepper and it works for me. You can do this with walking or any cardio. I start by doing average steps for 4 minutes then I do a 30 second burst as fast and as hard as I can. I repeat this 4 more times. This is suppose to burn more calories. I will tell you I am a sweaty mess afterwards which never happens when I do a full 30 minutes at an average pace. It has got me by my last stall.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    How recently was surgery? There are probably many factors why people stop losing weight. I personally believe no one should eat less than 1200 calories unless recommended by doctor/dietician. Bodies need fuel. With in a month of surgery I was eating 1500 calories and now eat 2-3k everyday. But I move, CONSTANTLY. I don't have the answer but my suggestion would be to slightly up the calories and try to get in more exercise. :-)

My surgery was 11/24. From my weight today I'm down only 48lbs. I had the lapband previously for 9 years and had it removed/revised to VSG. I was a terribly slow loser with the band and seems to be happening with the sleeve too. I weigh everything I eat and keep carbs under 50. I exercise every day and weight lift 2-3 days in addition. I haven't tried upping calories to 1200. I might have to and see what happens.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm only about a month ahead of you. Around 2 1/2 months ago my trainer begged me to up my calories and carbs. I was so hesitant, but did. Miraculously, I started losing. I was working out way too hard to sustain 800 calories. Now, I get just over 1000 calories daily, and I'm still losing. I get about 120 grams of protein and 75 carbs on gym days. I'm supposed to do that daily, but find it really haaaaaaaard (yes, whining) on non-gym days. So, two days a week, I do my best. *smile*
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you're weight lifting several times a week in addition to 7 days a week of exercise, it's a good bet most of your fat is turning into muscle, which weighs more. Setting aside the number on the scale, how are your measurements? Still losing inches in your waist? Additionally, that much exercise probably warrants an increase in calories and probably more protein than you'd normally eat. If you have a dietitian or nutritionist available to you, I'd try to meet with them and set up a plan that is compatible with the amount of exercise you're doing. Additionally, you may want to throw in at least one rest day just to give your body a break and some time to catch up.

Seriously, though. Grab that tape measure. It's my best friend when I hit plateaus.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I agree with others with your workouts, you most likely need to up your calories and carbs. Sounds like your body is in hoarding mode holding onto everything it has to compensate for what you are burning...try more intake and see what happens. If you are looking for help figuring out the exact mix of what you should be eating for your exercise level to maximize your tool, check out www.barifit.com
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's interesting because a friend who has VSG is training for a 1/2 marathon. She asked our NUT about her nutrition and she said just keep doing what you're doing. No suggestion of increasing calories or anything! I was kind of shocked. This woman is running between 3 and 5 miles most days out of the week in preparation and on minimal calories. I'll give upping the calories a try. I wish I could use a protein shake to boost my numbers. It gives me diarrhea (sorry TMI). I can't drink them after surgery :(

Thanks again..I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the website joysie1970 I will check it out.