Over 40, over 75lb to lose, 365 days committment to logging.

Options

Replies

• Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    peabean26 wrote: »
    I have such a hard time with the carbs. Girlfriend loves her pasta. One mouthful and I'm over my carb limit for the day.
    Some things fool you. Ate a 12 inch sautéed zucchini the other day and it had lots of carbs in it.
    Didn't see that one coming.... lol
    Keep trying.

Have you tried making your own egg noodles?
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-fettuccini-alfredo-low-carb.html

I make them whenever I really want pasta. They soak up sauce pretty well which disguises the egg flavor. I also like shiritaki noodles, you can buy them in most grocery stores. Some people dont like the flavor. You have to rinse them really well and put them in a sauce (I use them in thai curry sauces) for them to have a nice flavor.

Thanks! I'll give it a try....
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    My 70+ years certainly qualifies on the over 40 part. Having hit 249 and refusing to allow that middle number to turn into a (gasp) 5, and with a goal weight of 150 qualifies on the over 75 part. I started late in March and have said bye-bye to 11 pounds so far. Go me! And I've maintained a 35 day streak so 365 more means I'll be shooting for an even 400 days of logging. I'm in! Let the fun begin!

Love your mojo. Yeah, a beach part for all of us when we are under a big number, and after 365 days.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    FitToLead wrote: »

--Eat like I love myself
    --Move like I love myself
    --Speak to myself like I love myself, and
    --Act like I love myself "adapted form Tara Stiles"

This is beautiful.

I'm not quite 40--a little over 5 months until that milestone birthday--but I started out at 236 pounds 14 months ago wanting to lose around 90 pounds. So far I've lost about 65 of those, so I'm getting close. I'm already smaller than my driver's license weight, smaller than when I met my husband, and smaller than I was in graduate school (which was my lowest adult weight). I'm not losing very consistently lately, but I'm still a lot happier eating this way.

Some people can get away with not logging, but I need the accountability. Even if nobody is actually checking my food diary, it's the idea that someone (like the Keto Drill Sergeant!) might that motivates me to think twice about everything I put into my mouth. And I enter everything I eat, even if I strayed off my eating plan. That's what works for me.

Best of luck! This forum has a great bunch of people, without whom I never would have made it through my first few months of low carb eating. :)
  • lowcarbjen
    lowcarbjen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 and getting married in November. That wasn't even enough motivation. It was a seatbelt extender and sweating everywhere when everyone else was comfortable on vacation. Here to just get comfortable again. But looking to lose 170 lbs. Day 3 of keto. I like the high fat portion of it, it's helped stabilize my mood. Although so did the 8:30 pm bedtime last night! Looking forward to this group overall and this one in particular.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome @lowcarbjen! Hang on for a bumpy ride that smoothes out over time with determination and perseverance!! Looking forward to witnessing yours, and everyone else's, success!!
  • ctarp
    ctarp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and have over 100 lbs to loose. I'm just starting to log daily. I tried last year but did not log, or participate in any type of community. I lost about 20 lbs but gained it all and 10 more besides. I'm tired of being this heavy and have committed to changing my life. Visiting here and reddit daily has helped keep me motivated. Took awhile for the scale to move down but I know this is right for me.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    lowcarbjen wrote: »
    I'm over 40 and getting married in November. That wasn't even enough motivation. It was a seatbelt extender and sweating everywhere when everyone else was comfortable on vacation. Here to just get comfortable again. But looking to lose 170 lbs. Day 3 of keto. I like the high fat portion of it, it's helped stabilize my mood. Although so did the 8:30 pm bedtime last night! Looking forward to this group overall and this one in particular.

Oh I can't help but laugh- with sympathy. I never want to have that experience again of simply being unable to squeeze my flesh inside of a seat belt on a plane, an going through the indignity of either the air attendant noticing and getting me an extender, or me having to ask.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome @kathrout1973 ! You will find a wealth of information, with wonderful support, in this group! Don't forget to read the Launch Pad, located up ^^^^ there! Wonderful to have you here!
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    CARB COUNTER HERE!
    I will be 55 years old this month and at my highest I weighed 281lbs. Half of my body is still fat as of my last weigh in. I need to lose at least 100lbs more! I have made a life (-style) commitment so I am ready to take this journey.

I was diagnosed with Diabetes March 2015. Fast forward to March 2016, my weight was 263lbs with an A1C of 9.8. I have read so many testimonials of the healing power of eating low carb. It took me a year to lose 18lbs by giving up sugary drinks and late night eating. Now I have lost 18lbs in less than 2 months by counting carbs and calories (this is my 50th day on MFP). I have lost a total of 36lbs since March 2015.

My motivation is: I am a T2 diabetic and I also have diabetic complications. If I don't cut carbs, I could ultimately kill myself and/or negatively affect the quality of my life. After haphazardly losing 18lbs after a year of not really taking control of my eating, my diabetes became worse and I began experiencing complications. I have some nerve damage and my vision has been affected. I am practicing portion control and I have made some "hard" changes in my carb consumption. Most of the time I consume between 90g and 120g, but I want to go lower as I recover my health. 120g is significantly lower than my consumption of carbs at 281lbs! My body could not make insulin fast enough to control the sugar my carb consumption was releasing into my body. I was a carb addict!

There is so much confusing info out there because most doctors are against very low carb diets. The American Diabetes Association tells us to count carbs but I am at the low end of their daily recommended amount of carbs.

Is this accurate? I think I read this on a LCHF site somewhere.
    less than 50g is a very low carb diet
    51g-100g is a low carb diet
    101g-150g is a moderate low carb diet

I have read on some of the LCHF sites that for optimal ketosis one must intake 20g or less. I want to go lower but I am afraid of diabetic ketoacidosis even though this known to happen only in Type 1 diabetics. Irrational fear, maybe???

I am ready to go 365 days and beyond...

"I AM NOT ON A DIET because diets have start dates, end dates, and maintenance phases; I am eating healthy forever."
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @FitToLead so I read your thread description and just ignored it, then this morning I've opened it and read, I thought 75lb je that's a lot to lose, got me thinking that's some task ahead, "so I wonder how many lbs do I actually want to lose"? so I counted, OMG I hadn't realised, I started out in 2015 wanting to lose, 94lb :blush: started 2016 with still 73lbs to lose, wow thanks for opening my eyes, I truly hadn't realised I was that overweight. Today I have 66lb to go so I'm well and truly here with you.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing? I'm another 6 days on and two more pound down. 29lb lost so far, 46 more to lose to get to a healthy bmi.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many new faces!! Welcome to all! You'll love it here! I guess I've just been logging in for awhile now and not reading any posts or logging food. Time to get back to it!