Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building - Take 2

Options

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Week 2 - Day 4

Squats: 5x6 @ 95 lbs. - I decided to go up and squatted pretty deep into these. My hips are finally loosening up.
    BPress: 5x6 @85 lbs. - Still pretty hard at this weight and my 6th reps were a struggle. Will stay on this weight for Friday's workout.
    BRows: 5x6 @75 lbs.- went up this week and will stay at this weight for friday.
    Assisted Dips: 3x8 @ level 11. Went up from level 12
    Cardio: 6 mile bike ride to and from work.
    Goals for the week: stay within 1400 calories and eat my extra cardio calories but not the SL calories, up my protein intake from 75 grams to 100 grams, and watch my salt intake.
    Mood: Good start for the week and then heading out on Friday for NYC 5 Boro bike tour that weekend. I'll try to do my SL workout before work.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts - 105 lbs 1 X 6
    OHP - 40 lbs 4 X 6
    Pullups - negatives and band assisted. Was able to lift myself up 2 inches w/o any support, yay :)
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    dcresider wrote: »
    Advice needed! So I hadn't seen my friend in over a year and noticed how big my legs had gotten. Of course she said it must from lifting but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, it's the last thing I wanted to hear since I still have a lot of fat on the upper and inner thighs. Should I decrease weights (currently squatting at 90 lbs. 5 sets of 6 reps) and do more reps, or stay at the same weight /reps and not move up for a while?

Dcresider, I wished I felt comfortable answering this question but I don't think I know enough to do. Therefore, I am going to copy and paste a Q&A directly from one of Jay's article. Hopefully it helps.

Question #3: You've explained the importance of deloading when the goal is building muscle, but what about when losing fat? Should you deload while in a deficit?

Answer #3: Nope, definitely never deload in a deficit.

Doing so would essentially be the same as purposely lifting less weight while in a deficit, which of course is one of the worst things you can possibly do if you're trying to maintain muscle while losing fat.

However, if deloading is something you feel you need/want to do while you're in a fat loss phase, the ideal scenario would be to come back up to maintenance for a couple of weeks and deload during that period of time.

Once the deload is over and you're back to lifting at 100%, that's when you should resume the deficit.

DDHFree - great information! Who is Jay? I'd like to read more, please.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    I think that as long as you are eating at a deficit and keeping your protein to reasonable amount, you can't help but to look slimmer in the long run. For me the scale continues to go down but only for 2 out of 4 weeks monthly. My arms are getting big, I now have that square shoulder look but I am loving it. I just keep telling myself that while my arms look big (but with muscles), they are going to look GREAT as I continue to lose fat. I think that's where the patience has to come in. I can almost see how nice my arms will look once more of the fat is gone.

Agree. Just stay the course and listen to your body. Your cardio is amazing, too.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    DDHFree - Yeah, every time I think I've learned - I realize I still need reinforcement
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Deadlifts - 105 lbs 1 X 6
    OHP - 40 lbs 4 X 6
    Pullups - negatives and band assisted. Was able to lift myself up 2 inches w/o any support, yay :)

Go sixpacklady! Pullups are tough - congrats!
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Week 2 Day 4

Squats 5x5 @ 60lbs

OHP 5x5 50lbs I thought this was to be my least favorite exercise, but it's bench press for sure.

Deadlifts 3x5 @100lbs I did more because I like them and one set was not enough to practice my form.

I did a basic warm-up. It just feels weird to start lifting with no warm up. Overall, a good session. Looking forward to my next.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Should I decrease weights (currently squatting at 90 lbs. 5 sets of 6 reps) and do more reps, or stay at the same weight /reps and not move up for a while?

i have not tested this out for myself in any meaningful way, but the understanding i've picked up from pretty much everywhere is that extra reps is actually a bigger driver of 'hypertrophy'. i.e. increases in muscle tissue.

i can tell you there are a couple of absolutely toothpick-shaped women who are regulars at the same rec centre of me. i've been watching both of them squat crazy weights for at least a year, and both of them keep it to five reps per set.

both of them are still toothpick-shaped. i happened to run into one of them in the swimming pool area downstairs from the gym once, and i can totally attest to that. she looked fantastic but there is no way you'd ever look at her in a bikini and say 'see, lifting weights makes a woman bulky'.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    5minty, Way to go! Which program are you doing?

Sixpacklady, That is so freaking awesome! Now that’s some serious progress. You know I am just starting out with the pull ups so that’s so encouraging to hear.

Dcresider, you are always so darn active! Keep it up!

Iwayes820, Jay is the author of the program “A Workout Routine” which is the program that several of us are doing. In my opinion, the best introduction to Jay is to read this article. It was a real eye opener for me. http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-best-way-to-lose-weight-fast-and-keep-it-off/ I won't fall for any more "Get Lean in 12 Weeks" crap.
    Wow, you OHP 50 lbs. I am just in awe of you ladies who can OHP anything over 45 lbs.

Canadianlbs, thanks for the info. I’ve learned a lot reading your posts. Always appreciate when you do a “drive by”. ;)
  • dcresider
    edited April 2016
    Options
    canadianlbs- thanks for your input.

DDHFree - Yes, I'm pretty active in my daily routine...and actively eating too. LOL!!! Honestly, I'm not that active. I commute to work by bicycling to work and home is an easy ride about 20 minutes each way. I don't bicycle in the rain so it's not every day thing. Running is on hold for now with an occasional easy run twice a week after a weight training routine.

Today's workout: CARDIO
    - What can I say? I felt like running on the treadmill just so I can eat more tonight. LOL!! 3 mile easy rune done!

• DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 2: Total Week: 18
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift -109 lbs 4× 6
    It seems I pulled something in the lower back hip area while doing the last rep of the last set. Doesn't hurt at all but I feel the discomfort mainly when sitting. I was trying to focus on a tip Mehi gave to not hit your shins with the bar. I should have been focusing on lifting that last rep and making sure not to use my back because it's more challenging at that time. Hope it resolves itself before squats on Friday.

Shoulder Press - 44 lbs 4× 6,6,5,5

Negative Chin Ups - 4X6
    I can slowly lower myself for all sets all reps. So next I will move to negative pull-ups.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    5minty, Way to go! Which program are you doing?

@DDHFree Thanks! I'm doing SL's 5x5, but I also add a couple accessories :)

Week 2/Total Weeks 2
    SL's workout B

Squat: 65lbs 5x5

OHP: 55lbs 4x5, 60lbs 1 x5

Deadlift: 105lbs 1x5

BB Curls: 35lbs 1x8, 40 lbs 1x8

Calf Raises 45lbs 3x15

I've started adding weight on some of my last sets, to see if I can add more to my next workout, not sure if that is the proper way! But at least this way I now if I can or can't do it next time :-)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    5minty wrote: »
    I've started adding weight on some of my last sets, to see if I can add more to my next workout, not sure if that is the proper way! But at least this way I now if I can or can't do it next time :-)

5minty, I don't know if there are any negatives for doing it that way but I kind of like the rule of thumb that you increase when 1)you can do all of the reps for all of the sets and 2)your form is good for those sets/reps. BUT starting NOW, I am taking it a step farther, especially after this mornings mishap... I will only increase when the weight feel VERY comfortable and I am not struggling on any set/rep.

So this does not happen to any of you -- I was researching what to do about my muscle that I inadvertently pulled this morning. I came across these words in an article that I was reading.

...because the bar often scrapes against one’s shins and knees as it’s being raised, many weightlifters risk injuring their lower backs by holding it too far away from their bodies. Wearing long pants to protect your legs can easily solve this problem.

That is EXACTLY what I was doing after reading a post by Medhi. But I will just wear long thick pants going forward since I workout in the comfort of my home.
  • dcresider
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Week 2 - Day 5

Squats: 5x6 @ 105 lbs. - I decided to go up again. It was a little bit of a struggle with the increased weight but finished all sets. Form looked good in the mirror.
    OH Press: 5x5 @ 50lbs. - Form was okay and had to rest longer. I may stay on 5 reps instead of 6 until I get used to the heavier weight, then increase reps to 6.
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 130 lbs.- went up this week and so far so good.
    Assisted Pull Ups: 3x8 @ level 13
    Assisted Dips: 3x8 @ level 12

mood: Upbeat. I'm staying within my macros so far and trying to eat loads of protein. I got up to 113 grams yesterday. I hope I can keep it up.

• 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    5minty wrote: »

5minty, I don't know if there are any negatives for doing it that way but I kind of like the rule of thumb that you increase when 1)you can do all of the reps for all of the sets and 2)your form is good for those sets/reps. BUT starting NOW, I am taking it a step farther, especially after this mornings mishap... I will only increase when the weight feel VERY comfortable and I am not struggling on any set/rep.

So this does not happen to any of you -- I was researching what to do about my muscle that I inadvertently pulled this morning. I came across these words in an article that I was reading.

...because the bar often scrapes against one’s shins and knees as it’s being raised, many weightlifters risk injuring their lower backs by holding it too far away from their bodies. Wearing long pants to protect your legs can easily solve this problem.

That is EXACTLY what I was doing after reading a post by Medhi. But I will just wear long thick pants going forward since I workout in the comfort of my home.

DDHFree I'm not sure if there are negatives either?
    I'm going with the my own rule of thumb that after doing workout A or B at the same weight for 1 to several sessions, (or to the point that I can then do 5 sets with good form) for then next session I will do 4 sets & go up on the 5th set and go with that weight on the next workout.
    If I am struggling with bad form on that 5th set with the added weight then I will stay where I am for the time being until form is good on all sets.

Good advice for the deadlift! I am almost always wearing long pants when I am in the gym anyway, but as long as the bar only "skims' up/down my legs I am fine with that. If the bar is scraping then I know I am not doing something right and will stop and readjust.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was off day. 20 mins of bike riding, planks 2x30 secs, and did squats. Working hard on form, no knee pain. Did 1 set 10 reps @45pds; 1 set 10 reps @65pds, 3 set x10 reps @ 95 pds.

Today
    Sl
    Squat 5x5@145pds
    Ohp 5x5 @65pds
    Dl 1x7@ 145pds

So far, im sore for once. Going up the stairs hurt at work lol.

• dcresider
    Options
    Isca_1 - you are on a roll with those OHP and DL!
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Week 2 Day 5 Total Weeks 2

Squatsu
    Warm-up 2x5 @ 45lbs
    5x5 @ 65lbs
    Sets went well. Form felt good. Looking forward to increasing next see.

Bench Press
    5x5 @ 55lbs
    My least fave exercise actually went well. I had to adjust the bench to get my form correct. As always, I listened/ watched Alan Thrall and it helped.

Barbel Row
    5x5 @ 75 lbs
    These felt good, too

Mood
    Still enjoying the work outs. Learning a lot and getting stronger with each lift. Will be adding cardio next week. We'll see how that works for me.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's Workout

Squat 72.5 lbs 3 X 6
    Bench 45 lbs 3 X 6
    DB one arm row 22.5 lbs 3 X 8
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks dcresider. Really trying hard to get form right.

lwhayes820 - Nice job! Keep up the great work!

sixpacklady - Good job!

Love coming in here and seeing all the great work being done! I really wish we all worked out at the same gym, it's disheartening to go into my gym and be the only woman in the free weight section...