Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Foamroller wrote: »
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Foamroller wrote: »
    For selenium I eat 1 brazil nut per day.

Well, look at that....I love it when I learn something new! I love brazil nuts and I've been trying to figure out a good source of selenium (obviously not trying very hard on my part) to help my nails with strength issues! LOL

Actually, I've upped the brazil nuts to 2/day lately, cause my ex gave me a huge bag as a bribe. I didn't think of it before you said nails and strength. Mine have indeed become much stronger past weeks. The RDA is covered by 1 nut. So YMMV.

I do this, too. The brazil nut thing.
    I'd rather get it from food than to buy another supplement. I'll run out of counter soon. :lol:

Be wary on these unless they're great quality nuts. Apparently any given nut can have 10%-250% of the recommended "USDA" average amount due to soil depletion and growing areas and climate and all that nonsense. So it make take more to get your "dose" or having many could have you overdosing...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I've always shed some hair but over the winter it started seriously thinning out. I was already on synthroid (thyroid med for hypothyroid) but when my dr rechecked my thyroid levels there was one level that was off and added another med, cytomel, and now I don't shed at all, and have a 3 inch undergrowth of new hair coming in. If nothing is helping you may want to have your thyroid checked as hair loss is a symptom of underactive thyroid.

@darlswife May I ask what "level" it is that was off? I have been shedding like 10-20x the normal rate of loss for a while now. I just had my thyroid stuff tested, and I'd love to know what I can look for. I'm not in a hurry to add another medication, but I'd love to know so that I can focus that direction. Thanks in advance!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I just checked my results. My GFR estimated was 49 which is considered low. My TSH and T3 were barely in normal range and I'd been taking .88 mcg of synthroid for close to a year. He added the cytomel and within weeks my hair stopped falling out. I haven't had bloodwork since then but now I literally have no shedding so I'm not complaining. I hope that info helps. Good luck!!!
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/3x55jNuCIbo

I posted this recently (a few minutes ago) on another topic. I really recommend looking into food grade diatomaceous earth. The stuff is amazing and helpful with so many things! For hair and nails, intestinal health, cleansing, skin, it's anti-aging, it's truly amazing.... I have definitely seen improvement in my hair which my hair dresser had told me a couple of months ago that my hair was thinning! I can't afford to lose hair! It's so much healthier. I really feel like the stuff is the all natural fountain of youth. Google it!
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just want EVERYONE To know about it! Can you tell I'm excited? I bought a 10 (or 20!)pound bag on Amazon for 20 bucks. And you don't even want to get me started and what it does for pets and insect control.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I just checked my results. My GFR estimated was 49 which is considered low. My TSH and T3 were barely in normal range and I'd been taking .88 mcg of synthroid for close to a year. He added the cytomel and within weeks my hair stopped falling out. I haven't had bloodwork since then but now I literally have no shedding so I'm not complaining. I hope that info helps. Good luck!!!

Interesting. I had all the hallmark symptoms of low thyroid YEARS before it showed up in my tests results. And we tried Armour for a while, which did nothing at all. I learned after the fact that Armour doses must be finely tuned and often increased dramatically to achieve symptom results. I discontinued it. Later (a couple years), my TSH dropped dramatically by over half, and my doctor put me on synthroid this time, 75 mcg. I had my bloodwork improve but really didn't feel better with it, until I added an iodine/iodide supplement. But then, I got referred to a new endocrinologist. He tested my iodine levels, and they were crazy high, so he wanted me to step down to half pills, which I did, and it was still high, so we stepped down to half a pill every other day until I just got annoyed and stopped. My level there is now back into the highest part of the normal range, but my TSH spiked during this iodine stepdown, so he increased my dosage to 88 mcg, then 100 mcg. Within just a few days of increasing dosage, I could feel a definite difference.

Apparently gallbladder issues, or in my case, having had it removed, means that my body is really bad about converting T4 to the active T3. I didn't know that until recently. I also have a few of the symptoms of Hashi's, but the less common ones, which is totally on par with everything I've ever had/been diagnosed with. I never have ALL the symptoms, and I'm usually missing at least 1 of the biggest red flag symptoms, so I'm terrible to diagnose. I'm going to ask my next bloodwork panel to test for the antibodies that can confirm this. Just to ease my mind, more than anything.

But that also means that since cytomel is a T3 medication, I might end up there, too. I didn't realize that synthroid is a T4 only med until reading today. I knew it was only one, but didn't know which. So until I have more testing, I'm not going to panic or anthing...

So GFR was estimated at over 60, no number given, so I got a "pass" on that test, apparently. My TSH was still out of range for my age, and my understanding is that my T4 and T3 were disproportionate to each other in connection to the TSH...or something...

Ugh, I hate that this is so complicated, and I hate that so much is related to gut. What's the worst, though, IMO, is that the thyroid antibodies can be in your body, doing damage to your thyroid and all for 10-12 years before the results show in your TSH! Good luck on your continued improvements, @darlswife.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I actually don't have a gallbladder either. Who knew that could make a difference.
    I had symptoms way before my numbers showed issued too. The body is very mysterious.
    Sigh