Switching to PHUL or something similar

Options
grapaj
grapaj Posts: 136 Member
I have a trainer who does programming for me every 4-6 weeks and I lift with her once a week for form checks etc since about last summer. I am needing to break up with her for budget reasons + I've been heavy lifting for about 18 months and am ready to get to it on my own << feel bad about this.....anyways.

I want to focus of mostly the compound lifts and keep going heavy. I typically do 4 days of lifting + maybe 20min on weekend for cardio.

I am thinking of trying PHUL (I did SL 5x5 before the trainer). Is there a spreadsheet out there for PHUL? App? Also for those that have run this program are there any substitutions or mods you have done or did you follow it straight up, as written?

Any suggestions would be great, thx.

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am on week 5 of PHUL. I really like it. I use a good ol' fashioned spreadsheet and pen to log my workouts.

I am not really losing weight right now but people are asking me if I am losing weight...so I think something is working. lol

I do a little calf work but sometimes sub that out because I feel my calves are fine and shapely enough and get enough work otherwise. I add glute bridges. I also do 1-2 days of some ab stuff.

Also, on hypertrophy days, sometimes I add one or two more exercises if I feel like it.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks -- how long does a session take you? Do you do Mon/Tu/Th/F?

I am a pen & paper logger too so I guess I will just transpose the program onto excel. :)
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do that schedule, yes.

It takes me at least 40 minutes...sometimes it takes around 55 minutes....keeping in mind, I have zero wait time for racks or weights. Completing my workout is solely based on my rest between sets.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I've ran PHUL for quite awhile. You don't need a spreadsheet or an app.

I added glute work to it and only leg curled once per week. I also didn't do any calf isolation work. Otherwise I did the program. I ran compound lifts on power days in a 5/3/1 progression but I don't know if I actually recommend that.