Can this be right?

Options
cristinaengel
cristinaengel Posts: 13 Member
Grande frappé, heavy cream, no whip, sugar free caramel from Starbucks has no carbs or sugar? Help! It was delicious so it has to be wrong, right. Feeling guilty

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Other than being careful of sugar-free stuff triggering cravings, and depending on how much cream you had, it should be pretty close.

Heavy cream has about 6.4 grams of carbs per CUP or 16 TBSP... You can do the math - that's 0.4 carbs per TBSP...

Sugar-free stuff often has sugar alcohols, some of which still impact blood sugars and therefore it needs to be counted. Just depends on what's in them. Maltitol has to be counted at half. Anything with dextrose or maltodextrin in it should be counted as a 1, etc. Most others don't have to be counted, but should be limited if they trigger hunger or cravings.

Aside from that, guilty is worse than any calorie or carb...so try to banish that, too! (hugs)
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The frape syrup at Starbucks has sugar in it, even if none of the additions do. Found this out the hard way.
  • cristinaengel
    cristinaengel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    The frape syrup at Starbucks has sugar in it, even if none of the additions do. Found this out the hard way.

Thank you~ that's what I thought. But I could find proof anywhere on the website. Not even in the nutritional information. Thanks again!
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you look at the bottom of the page to the left, it shows the nutritional info for syrups they use.

https://news.starbucks.com/uploads/documents/nutrition.pdf
  • matean444
    matean444 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If Starbuck's caramel syrup is like DaVinci's, it contains Splenda which has carbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @matean444 It isn't the Splenda itself that has the carbs - it is the filler they use in the powders, so it is possible for a liquid form of splenda to not have carbs, unless there are added sugar alcohols or something.
  • matean444
    Options
    Really? I have an old bottle of syrup that lists 2 grams per serving. If its not from the Splenda, I don't know what else it could be. No sugar alcohols listed. That's okay, I never use the stuff anyway and am tossing it. I make my own caramel now with Swerve.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    matean444 wrote: »
    Really? I have an old bottle of syrup that lists 2 grams per serving. If its not from the Splenda, I don't know what else it could be. No sugar alcohols listed. That's okay, I never use the stuff anyway and am tossing it. I make my own caramel now with Swerve.

I pulled up DaVinci Sugar Free Caramel syrup from the website, and it lists zero carbs. But it does have cellulose gum. That might have some carbs. It's like an emulsifier or binder... I'm sure in the ingredients we could figure out what it is.

The main problem is that manufacturers are realizing that we pay attention to that now, so they artificially reduce the serving sizes so it's under 1 gram per serving, which legally they can round down to 0 to mislead us. It's SO annoying if you're tight on carbs or if you use a larger amount than is called for on the maladjusted portion size listed.

Would you share your caramel recipe please? I'd love to have a tried and tested one! (I'm trying to shift my guy to low carb sweeteners whenever possible...) Thanks in advance!
  • matean444
    Options
    My bottle is very old - about 7 yrs. I knew to pay attention to serving size - but never came across a product where 1 gram was considered a serving size!! How insulting!!!

I'd be happy to share the caramel recipe! http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/?s=caramel+sauce It's called "the best low carb caramel sauce" Created by a woman named Carolyn, and its a great recipe. She's very talented with desserts.

Personally I believe that caramel is even more important than chocolate!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I recommend your favorite sugar free drink, made with heavy cream, and order it blended. It'll be like a frap without the high sugar content in the frap mix.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    matean444 wrote: »
    I knew to pay attention to serving size - but never came across a product where 1 gram was considered a serving size!!

You know those spray oils like Pam, for spraying pans before you cook eggs or whatever?
    Have you ever wondered how they advertise "low fat" when it's literally 100% fat? (well, maybe 99.99% fat and 0.001% propellant)
    The serving size is "1/4 second spray" aka 0.25 grams!!!