2 day Rock Festival while on LCHF/Keto

Options
megemrj
megemrj Posts: 547 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
Advice please. Its a two day rock festival. 10 hours one day and 11 the other. There is no re-entry allowed. Once you are admitted each day, no leaving or you can't get back in.

I can't take in bags, food, cooler, or drinks (only 1 unopened & sealed water bottle is allowed per person) into the venue. My food plan is meat, meat, and more meat with maybe a little vegs but def no chips, bread, or grains.. I usually have a honey bourbon and sprite but thinking not this time.

I am concerned about dehydration along with my magnesium and sodium. It will be in Florida, very hot. Last year it rained but gave little reprieve to the heat.

Any suggestions to keep my electrolytes in check or seasoned tricks for eating low carb at festivals??

I currently supplement with liquid magnesium and pink Himalayan salt.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Pickles would help you with hydration. Beef jerky would be both easy and help with salt as well.
    You could also plan to fast for most of the day (maybe only eat some pickles as needed) and eat your food in one "meal". That may just be easier.
    There are probably food booths that will have meat options too If you don't want to pack everything. You may be able to find food vendor info on the festival website.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would avoid drinking alcohol as it can be very dehydrating and stick with buying bottled water after you finish the one you can bring in. People on here have talked about sodium tablets, that might be a solution for some backup sodium if you feel sluggish, you should be able to pop some in your pocket and take them in.

Foodwise, there are always great meat options at festivals. Look for some kabobs or some type of meat on a stick. Worst case scenario yiu can always get a hamburger or hot dog and toss the bun. That's what I love about this woe, you don't have to give up the social stuff.

Have fun!!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have had luck getting nuts, beef jerky, etc past security guards if they are in sealed, factory labeled, original packaging and I say "I have dietary restrictions/allergies that make it difficult/dangerous for me to eat at the food vendors. Please..." They might let you through with them (or, you'll get the jerk who makes you throw them away). Also, double-check with the festival page to make sure they're not going to have an "eco information booth" or something along those lines. A few I've been to lately have had refillable water bottle stations. In that case you can re-fill the water bottle you bring. Or stick a flat-pack "platypus" water bottle in your pocket for filling. Cargo shorts are a big bonus here...or a significant other with cargo shorts :smile: if you can't take in a small purse/bag. My husband feels like my pack-mule sometimes, I think :smile: .
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    There will most likely be sausage, burgers, chicken on a stick. Get everything without bread and you should be ok.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I have gone to festivals gluten free for years which isn't necessarily low carb but usually ends up being. I have successfully snuck nuts in each year. I carry a little backpack and they don't do a great job of searching it at the festivals I attend. I usually try to fast as much as possible. If I do eat I get a bunless burger.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Stuff. It. Everywhere.

I'd fill up pockets with baggies of nuts, beef jerky, etc. You have a bra, too. Just saying. LOL
  • megemrj
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the good ideas! Wish I could take in a small bag like in the past but they are pretty strict. This is our 3rd year going and each year the list grows and grows for things we can't bring.

I may try the salt tablets. Thinking my bra will be filled. ;) My son and I usually wear cargo shorts so those will be filled as well.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I would plan on eating a huge meal prior to heading to the festival and then just fast until afterwards. 10 hours isn't a long fast and when you get home you will be tired and ready for a nice end of day meal. Mostly just have fun.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    (only 1 unopened & sealed water bottle is allowed per person)

8j7NCoz.jpg
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    re: those suggesting OMAD, I'd only do that if you've done a longer fast before. If it's new to you, it might be easy to cave and eat stuff you'll regret later.
  • megemrj
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    (only 1 unopened & sealed water bottle is allowed per person)

8j7NCoz.jpg

^^Hilarious! Wish that could be my one container!

I thought about the exact plan of large breakfast, fast, then large dinner. I currently do 5:2 but I don't think I can do the full 10 hours with no food in the heat. My teenager eating everything in sight all day would probably drive me right over into the "eating everything not nailed down" zone. Think I better eat something small at least, then have a big late dinner or a bpc.

Our hotel has buffet breakfast and I do plan to partake... A lot.

The not weighing my food is going to be an adjustment for me. That and not knowing exactly what is in my food. Fun will be had! I'm a HUGE metal head and cannot wait! B)B)B)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Have fun! It sucks that they have so many prohibited items. We usually go to Carolina Rebellion and they are very lax. lol.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am going to a 3-day country music festival in July that doesn't allow carry-ins of any kind...not even a water bottle. Luckily, my mom and I buy VIP tickets which includes all of our food and beverages and at night, there is a buffet that has all kinds of yummy meats. Last year when I went I was yet low-carb but this year I will be and I am going to try to stick to it...except for the alcohol I plan on consuming. With the VIP tickets we get all day beer, water, soda and then starting at 5:00 p.m. mixed drinks are included so I'm hoping they have a low-carb mixer for the vodka.

Have fun!!
  • megemrj
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Have fun! It sucks that they have so many prohibited items. We usually go to Carolina Rebellion and they are very lax. lol.

We are going to Rockville! It's basically the same lineup of the Carolina Rebellion with a few differences. We thought about switching to the Rebellion this year but it conflicted with my work schedule. :(
  • megemrj
    Options
    @petunia773

If our Festival had VIP tix like yours, I would def get them. Ours is pitiful and super expensive for the little they give. Which is why I have never bought them.

Ticket Info
    VIP TICKETS INCLUDE:
    Separate VIP entrance to venue
    Access to VIP lounge area featuring dedicated bar, beverage and food service (for purchase)
    VIP-Only viewing area of main stage
    Seated area with shade for dining
    Private restroom facilities
    Commemorative VIP Laminate
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    @petunia773

If our Festival had VIP tix like yours, I would def get them. Ours is pitiful and super expensive for the little they give. Which is why I have never bought them.

Ticket Info
    VIP TICKETS INCLUDE:
    Separate VIP entrance to venue
    Access to VIP lounge area featuring dedicated bar, beverage and food service (for purchase)
    VIP-Only viewing area of main stage
    Seated area with shade for dining
    Private restroom facilities
    Commemorative VIP Laminate

"For purchase"?? Yeah, I'd pass on that VIP too. :(
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What festival are you attending?
  • megemrj
    Options