Can't. Stop. Pooping.

Options
MrsSpitser
MrsSpitser Posts: 35 Member
Recently started LCHF diet and I have TERRIBLE diarrhea. I use the restroom 6 to 10 times a day and it's nearly water. I know this is kinda gross, but I seriously need help!

I drink lots of water and salt my food liberally. I take a multivitamin and make sure to include low carb veggies in my daily diet. I'm a week in and nearing my wits end about this.

I don't want to stop unless I have to because I'm T2D and my blood glucose levels have been way better. But I can't keep leaving my classroom to poop 10 times a day! Besides the pain and discomfort.

Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You sure you don't have a virus?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How much and what kinds of fats do you eat?
    Are you drinking 8 glasses of water like its a goal or is that just how you drink based on thirst?
  • MrsSpitser
    Options
    How much and what kinds of fats do you eat?
    Are you drinking 8 glasses of water like its a goal or is that just how you drink based on thirst?

I never have a specific water goal in mind, I just try to make sure I have water within reach (I usually consume 60 - 80 ounces a day at least). I have excessive dry mouth from my diabetes. I use olive oil and coconut oil when cooking. I also use salted butter for vegetables. I also had my gallbladder removed 18 months ago and struggle with diarrhea frequently due to my diabetes medication. I have just never had constant and severe diarrhea like this until I started LCHF. I have also experienced the fatigue and nausea that I've read about in the initial stage but the diarrhea is really what is causing me discomfort and disrupting my work day. (I'm a special needs teacher and can't just hop up and run all the time.)
  • MrsSpitser
    Options
    You sure you don't have a virus?

I'm pretty sure it's not a virus. I have a pretty good track record with avoiding colds and viruses. Working in the school system has built up my immune system. :smiley:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Typically I've only heard this complaint with some people upon starting coconut or MCT oil in coffee or when starting a magnesium supplement, specifically oxide or citrate in too large a dosage.
    I know you've got some immunity to the virus you're no doubt exposed to in that environment, but making a big change to your diet is a stressor which can challenge immunities in the short term.
    I would watch the fat intake, not sure how much you're eating at any one time, but it could be too much too fast for you since it's a new way. Is your medicine metformin? I know this is a common side effect of that and I realize it's not new, but you're doing new things so it's still possible it's related to that. Hopefully some others with knowledge specific to that will chime in if they think that also makes sense.
    Oddly enough, the same thing others use to go could be helpful to get you to stop. Might need to add some kind of fiber supplement to bulk things up. I don't know much about the low carb options since I mostly avoid fiber myself.
    You're no doubt losing a lot of water under the circumstances so keeping electrolytes replenished will be important. Keep up on the sodium for sure.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a gut flora problem
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Imodium can work wonders
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That happened to me when I over did it with magnesium, plus the body has to get used to all of the changes too.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, although I'm fairly certain mine is a direct effect of hyperthyroid disease - mine's "successfully treated" (blood numbers are stellar) but I'm still symptomatic (obviously. grr). Fortunately, in a rather unfortunate way, another side effect is pretty gruesome insomnia - so I wake for the day at like 1am or earlier, drink my coffee by 2 because why the heck not - and am completely cleaned out before I have to face life. It's crazy but it's what works at the moment :-/
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    if you take some fiber capsules like metamuscil or generic form it will help absorb the liquid and firm up the stool. I have had success doing this on an as needed basis
    good luck
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    OMG - @anglyn1 I LOVE YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT LINK!!!! I'll explain why in a minute/below.

I have this reaction frequently, and I attribute it to a combination of having no gallbladder and having gut flora issues. I am insulin resistant, but not diabetic, and I'm not on Metformin. Here are my comments.
    • With Metformin - avoid dairy 4 hours either side of your Met dosage. It's explosive! I stopped it for this exact reason.
    • Do not go higher carb - or have anything with straight legit white sugar/HFCS. Same reaction.

Without metformin, here's the rest of my recommendation. Things I've learned about my body and DISASTER PANTS.
    • Do not have coconut oil and any vinegar product, particularly pickles or pickle juice withing 2-4 hours of each other. Instant disaster pants issues.
    • Do not fast for more than 8-10 hours, or you'll be going - and will all be bile and stomach acid! OUCH.
    • Do not take 500 mg magnesium oxide, three days in a row - you will have disaster pants without warning, during SLEEP. This makes any bed partners extremely unhappy.
    • Don't be afraid to eat a little extra veggies like broccoli to end the sea voyage. If you're like me, your body is way more forgiving of broccoli and green bean and asparagus, etc. carbs than it is of junk carbs.
    • Drink enough water (100 oz, usually, if you're in the 200 pound or more range).
    • Up those electrolytes. adding too much or too little will trigger the need to run....
    • Add Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother) preferably 20 minutes prior to meals - or after if distress starts. #5 was me. I assumed the disgusting color was dumping bile (like my fast days) not from malabsorption, but it makes so so so so so much sense now... As for #6, I prefer to keep pills to a minimum, if I can. So far ACV is working, but I've notched this one into the
    • Don't do bulletproof coffee/tea/etc. or some form of fatty/protein shakes as your first meal. Eggs, or other real food are fabulous. A drink/shake is find for mid-day, but for whatever reason, it triggers violent reactions in my gallbladderless body.
    • Don't take MCT oil or excess coconut oil straight/on an empty stomach. See above.
    • Skip most lettuce/greens. Gallbladderless bodies without extra digestive enzymes or stomach acid (ACV) causes quick dumping and stomach discomfort to rival food poisoning, minus the vomiting. I'm MUCH better with the enzymes and ACV - before 6 months ago, I didn't even know this was a thing.
    • Don't be afraid to take a step back, and add some good carbs (not starch veg/fruit, etc., maybe even chia, flax, almond flour, coconut flour, etc.). One day or meal won't hurt.
    • Probiotics like sauerkraut and kombucha (processed longer to minimize sugars) can help balance you, but you have to start SMALL. The misery on dosing too fast is AS BAD as the ... current issue you're suffering.
    • Don't be afraid to try out different things - take notes of what you try - and don't try too many things at once - and remember, it can take 4-12 weeks for the body to readapt to your changes.

P.S. Apple Cider Vinegar, taking it before meals, is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my whole entire life... Just wanted to mention that one again!!
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This is happening to me too :| I have my gall bladder so I'm hoping it will only last a short time. Thanks for the tips and I'll definitely try the ACV.. Have that. Ugh.. Didn't know this would happen but I'm going to try to stick to it a bit longer and see if it gets better. :)