Started the pre-op diet!!

meltinglbs
meltinglbs Posts: 20 Member
I started the 2wk liquid pre-op diet yesterday. I had kind of a rough time with it yesterday, mostly mentally. I thought I had geared myself up for it, but by the end of the day I was hungry and super irritable! Today is much better so far. I hope my husband and kids are tough enough to handle the next couple of weeks, lol!!

Replies

• vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    you can do this...just think you will be happier and feel better...my pre op diet was hard too...i was on a diabetic pre op and i was allowed 4 ounces of chicken/turkey/ham for lunch and dinner and then unlimited sf pudding, jello, popsicles, broth, pickles, cauliflower and some other things but it was hard cuz i was constantly feeling hungry...just think positive and know it is all worth it.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    The first few days of liquid diet were the hardest for me; and the good news is post-op the cravings went away completely for me.
  • meltinglbs
    The first few days of liquid diet were the hardest for me; and the good news is post-op the cravings went away completely for me.

Glad to hear that! I hope that happens for me too!!
  • meltinglbs
    you can do this...just think you will be happier and feel better...my pre op diet was hard too...i was on a diabetic pre op and i was allowed 4 ounces of chicken/turkey/ham for lunch and dinner and then unlimited sf pudding, jello, popsicles, broth, pickles, cauliflower and some other things but it was hard cuz i was constantly feeling hungry...just think positive and know it is all worth it.

Thanks!! It definitely helps being able to come here & vent!!
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    I started my pre-op diet today as well but I have to do it for 4 weeks!!!
  • Bluemajestic
    Bluemajestic Posts: 54 Member
    I'm on the pre-op diet as well and I have to agree it is much harder than I anticipated! I just want to eat something solid! Sorry, had to vent.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Every surgeon/hospital has different guidelines for pre-op diet. Bottom line is they want you to lose a few lbs before surgery. If you "cheat" and have a food not on allowable list don't beat yourself up about it. I met with my surgeon 4 days before surgery. He said I could eat what I wanted as long it wasn't sugar and to make sure only liquids 24 hours before surgery.

The rewards you will experience in the coming months and years will be well worth the sacrifice of a few days. <3:)
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    It does get easier as the days go by. I will tell you one food that saved me was Budget Saver sugar free twin pops in the freezer section at walmart. It was actually something solid I could bite into. I think the flavors are much better and they dont seem as hard as the name brand freezer pops. They are usually on the bottom shelf in a big clear bag. Sometimes you have to search the bags for the sugar free ones. I hope the time flies by for you!
  • Bluemajestic
    Did anyone cheat during their pre-op? Surgery is Monday but I feel so hungry. I would love a chicken shawarma sandwich!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Did anyone cheat during their pre-op? Surgery is Monday but I feel so hungry. I would love a chicken shawarma sandwich!

You've come this far. Don't cheat! I've heard stories from support group where someone cheated on the pre-op diet, the doctor walked in, heard they hadn't done what they were supposed to, refused to do the surgery and that was that.

The pre-op diet is designed to shrink your liver so it's easier to move during surgery. But it's also a test - if you can't handle changing things for a few days, how are you going to handle an entire lifestyle change that will impact you from here on out as long as you live?

It's not worth it! Hang in there and you'll be through this in no time.
  • Bluemajestic

You've come this far. Don't cheat! I've heard stories from support group where someone cheated on the pre-op diet, the doctor walked in, heard they hadn't done what they were supposed to, refused to do the surgery and that was that.

The pre-op diet is designed to shrink your liver so it's easier to move during surgery. But it's also a test - if you can't handle changing things for a few days, how are you going to handle an entire lifestyle change that will impact you from here on out as long as you live?

It's not worth it! Hang in there and you'll be through this in no time.

Thanks so much for the support! I think I was just having a moment, lol. I made it through it without cheating and am doing much better today!
  • meltinglbs
    I started my pre-op diet today as well but I have to do it for 4 weeks!!!

Oh no! 4 wks is a long time!! How are you doing so far?

• meltinglbs
    I'm on the pre-op diet as well and I have to agree it is much harder than I anticipated! I just want to eat something solid! Sorry, had to vent.

How are you doing with it now? I'm on Day 8 of 14 and it seems to be a little better. I guess I'm getting used to it. Still a little hungry at times. I find myself thinking about what I wish I could eat, lol!
  • meltinglbs
    It does get easier as the days go by. I will tell you one food that saved me was Budget Saver sugar free twin pops in the freezer section at walmart. It was actually something solid I could bite into. I think the flavors are much better and they dont seem as hard as the name brand freezer pops. They are usually on the bottom shelf in a big clear bag. Sometimes you have to search the bags for the sugar free ones. I hope the time flies by for you!

Yes! I have these and love them! Thanks!!

• meltinglbs

Glad you didn't cave and eat the chicken sandwich! I would love to eat something too, but instead, I will continue to sip on my water with crystal light - sunrise orange.

I know you must be super excited about surgery on Monday! Are you freaking out, or just ready to get it over with?

• Bluemajestic
    meltinglbs wrote: »

Glad you didn't cave and eat the chicken sandwich! I would love to eat something too, but instead, I will continue to sip on my water with crystal light - sunrise orange.

I know you must be super excited about surgery on Monday! Are you freaking out, or just ready to get it over with?

Today is a little better. I've been hungry every day despite how much protein I take in.

I'm super nervous and excited about Monday. It seemed so far away before, and then this past month seemed to fly by. I am just hoping everything goes well and I don't regret my decision.
  • vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    i cheated but it was a thick soup...my preop wasn't that hard i was able to have 4 ounces of lean chicken, turkey or ham...i think cuz i was on a diabetic preop diet. i could have unlimited broth and jello and vegetables but glad you havent cheated they're right you've come this far keep it up...i know after surgery was hard for me on the second week because my mom was feeling guilty about eating in front of me and although i was glad to be on cream of wheat i was still HUNGRY