Participation

Options
stesig13
stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
Let's talk about what you think about our group nonparticipating members.
Should they be uninvited ? Should we give them one more chance for another week?
We don't want watchers anymore, we need strong motivated people who will win with us!

Replies

• agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of people join groups with good intentions or join just to see what's happening since you couldn't read posts until you joined.

Then its not for them so they back out. I think all of us should be able to post at bare minimum once a week when we weigh in. If you can't be part of group to do at least that why be a member?

• stesig13
    Options
    I find a lot of people join groups with good intentions or join just to see what's happening since you couldn't read posts until you joined.

Then its not for them so they back out. I think all of us should be able to post at bare minimum once a week when we weigh in. If you can't be part of group to do at least that why be a member?
    We have 28 motivated members who constantly participate and feel connected to each other here.
    So that will b our amazing group!
    I will give a chance to watchers: you can choose to be participating with us or just find a group for watchers.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would let them have one more week (gosh i'm kind) and then Sat morning first thing... get rid of the ones who didn't participate. 3 chances really is 2 too many... :)
  • karenenriquez1225
    karenenriquez1225 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Maybe letting all the watchers know that they can PM you their stats, Stella. I would agree with Mirabelle in letting them have one more week. I need the accountability and I'm so grateful for this group!!
  • FitMeBetter
    FitMeBetter Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree that we should continue to offer our encouragement to all those that joined the group. Give them another week. It's possible that some people still feel shy or intimidated. Maybe they aren't progressing and don't feel they have anything to contribute. (I know that feeling.) After that, if they appear to have lost interest, then drop/uninvite them. This really is a wonderful group!
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Few members are active in the group sharing there things mostly members new to MFP are joinned in our group i think its good if we interact with them giving them a few more days. My view its not about we keep them or delete them its not our thread goal also, our goal is to unite and shed our kilos, our motivation has to change there prespective. Lets be more active and make others active.
  • shawna_25
    shawna_25 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Stella made the description of this group quite clear, "nobody quits till goal is reached". If we already have quitters, that's a violation of the code! I agree, one more chance, then give inactive members the boot.
  • kimc7511
    kimc7511 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I may not have the opportunity to comment daily, but I feel encouragement and accountability leads to success. If within a two week period they can't find time to participate, maybe they should consider another group.
  • cynbet69
    cynbet69 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I agree i dont talk much this week been busy but i did put my weigh in, and lets give them one more week i wouldn't be on this the rest of the day have a wedding to attend but I will be on tomorrow thanks again for this group
  • stesig13
    Options
    That's all I need to know. It's incredibly hard to lose weight and we all struggle , and I fall off the wagon and everybody does it too, so if they are intimidated by people who will win with us this hard battle, they will never achieve their goal, it's just impossible to do it alone, intimidated or not.
    I weigh 208 lbs. , why b intimidated by that ahahahah
    I gained 4 lbs over weekend and was sharing my experience of losing it and some.
    So, whoever is reading it and is intimidated, please don't
    You an privately text me if you aren't strong enough, I will help you and u will help me!
  • mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Having been a lurker in many groups (not just weight loss related or on MFP). It is hard to discern what makes me active in one group vs inactive in another. I do know on the ones I remain a lurker on I am not sure how to jump in. I feel like such an outsider and not sure what to say. Obviously this is not one of those groups. I will say that anyone who feels that way can pm me and maybe I can help you integrate in the group more. That being said, the things I post may not resonate with you. If that is the case I am sure anyone else in the group, that you do feel like relates to you better, wouldn't mind either. We are all here to help each other and if helping you come out of your shell to get the most out of the group is what it takes then I think most, if not all, of us are up to the task. If you are not sure what to say in a message just simply state that your are in the group but have yet to feel comfortable/motivated/etc. to post as of yet. We can help you from there.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »
    Having been a lurker in many groups (not just weight loss related or on MFP). It is hard to discern what makes me active in one group vs inactive in another. I do know on the ones I remain a lurker on I am not sure how to jump in. I feel like such an outsider and not sure what to say. Obviously this is not one of those groups. I will say that anyone who feels that way can pm me and maybe I can help you integrate in the group more. That being said, the things I post may not resonate with you. If that is the case I am sure anyone else in the group, that you do feel like relates to you better, wouldn't mind either. We are all here to help each other and if helping you come out of your shell to get the most out of the group is what it takes then I think most, if not all, of us are up to the task. If you are not sure what to say in a message just simply state that your are in the group but have yet to feel comfortable/motivated/etc. to post as of yet. We can help you from there.

Good post :)
  • stesig13
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »

Good post :)

You said it so well, I kinda want to be in this amazing group too
  • Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Participation is important, for sure. I'd give everyone another week. I promise we're not scary! No one is going to bite your head off here if you slip up or disagree on anything. We got some good vibes going on here, with a variety of people who just want to help each other out!
  • Kareesdiet
    Kareesdiet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: there may be someone in our group that is really enjoying it, getting inspired by it but not quite sure how to jump in. They might not even want to jump in... Maybe they just like feeling apart of something. I believe there is a place for everyone. The problem is we share personal thoughts, triumphs, and failure in here. We feel safe doing so because we all know each other and we all have shared. No judgement just help and encouragement. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing if you are someone like I just described or just a lurker. My suggestion is contact those that you are thinking of locking out first to see what their intention is and maybe help make them feel comfortable and wanted if they want to stay and share. I don't know just a thought.
  • mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That is a good idea kareesdiet
  • kriskrossness
    kriskrossness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think that they should have a three strikes type thing and then send them a pm like Karee suggested. It would help discern between the lurkers and the shy but want to participates. :) I love this group. It's one of the biggest things that helps keep me going.
  • Kareesdiet
    Kareesdiet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love this group too! We work hard, we laugh, we act silly and we have BETSY! :p
  • stesig13
    Options
    Kareesdiet wrote: »
    I love this group too! We work hard, we laugh, we act silly and we have BETSY! :p
    We just love Betsy!!!
  • stesig13
    Options
    After this Friday I will be I inviting watchers.
    Betsy needs strong community!