Blood ketones question

zimmerem
zimmerem Posts: 28 Member
Hi all,

So I just got a blood glucose and ketone meter and am a bit confused as to what to make of my first test results. I ate a full breakfast including bacon, eggs and coffee with heavy cream. I was out all day so I didn't eat for about 6 hours or so. When I checked, my sugar was 3.3 and my ketones read as 5.3. While I gather that I need to eat, why are my ketones so high?

Replies

• Afroditaa77
    Afroditaa77 Posts: 21 Member
    I think that they are supposed to be high. You are on ketosis. That's a good thing, I think
  • zimmerem
    I read a few places that it should be between 0.5 and 3. And that people have a difficult time getting those readings at first at that. It's only been a couple weeks or so and they are super high. I thought maybe I was doing something with my diet perhaps a bit incorrectly.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Dehydration plays a huge factor in those numbers...as does the fact that you went a while before eating. I haven't used a blood ketone meter. Was the 3.3 a normal sugar number? Are you diabetic?
  • zimmerem
    I am not diabetic. It was just a random sugar throughout the day. I have since been tracking in the morning when I wake up and the numbers are a bit better. My glucose sits around 4.2 and my ketones have been 3.0 for the last couple days.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I'm not familiar with whatever measuring scale your meter is using a far as glucose, but if it's the same scale as the A1C, you should be good. That being said, here's a calculator to test your meals/day to see if the expectation of how "keto" your meal is matches your numbers.

http://www.flexibleketogenic.com/