Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building - Take 2

Options

Replies

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I ditto Isca_1 remarks!
    Unfortunately my injury is more real than I initially thought. In other words, it felt worse by end of day yesterday and even more so this morning. It's enough for me to conclude that I will not do squats or deadlifts until it's better. I iced it last night and this morning but only because I read that I should. I could maybe keep doing those lifts with the discomfort but too many people expressed that that tend to make it worse. I just really hope it's not too serious and heals quickly. I love my lifting and not yet ready for a break.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Iwhayes820 - You are doing great. I love bench presses too! I am not a fan of bent over rows because I feel like it puts a lot of pressure on my neck. I definitely need to watch my form. Keep up the great work.

DDHFree - Sorry about your injury. If it hurts, you definitely need to stop. If it's an achy kind of feel, then proceed with caution.

Everyone else - I'm loving the group comradery even though we can't all be at a gym together. Lucky for me, I take my lunch break later in the day so there aren't too many guys in the gym (grunting away -one of my pet peeves).
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Thanks Dcresider.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Since I will be leaving for NYC tomorrow, I ended up doing a SL workout minus the squats since my legs were a little sore from yesterday.

Squats: none.
    BP: 5x5 @ 85 lbs. - The sets were still hard but I managed to finish. I felt my shoulder twinge (possible rotator-cuff related) so luckily I'll have a break until next wednesday to recover.
    BRows: 5x5 @ 75 lbs. - I plan on staying on this weight since I feel my form is lacking.
    Cardio: very, very short run of 1 mile. LOL! No bicycling the past few days due to rain.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Since I will be leaving for NYC tomorrow, I ended up doing a SL workout minus the squats since my legs were a little sore from yesterday.
    That's dedication. Have a great trip!

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    I ditto Isca_1 remarks!
    Unfortunately my injury is more real than I initially thought. In other words, it felt worse by end of day yesterday and even more so this morning. It's enough for me to conclude that I will not do squats or deadlifts until it's better. I iced it last night and this morning but only because I read that I should. I could maybe keep doing those lifts with the discomfort but too many people expressed that that tend to make it worse. I just really hope it's not too serious and heals quickly. I love my lifting and not yet ready for a break.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Maybe you could up your walking while the injury heals and start doing other lifts like Bench if it is not causing any issues. Hope you recover soon!!!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 2 - Total Week: 18
    Routine: Workout A

Squats
    Skipped squats due to injury. Feel much better than yesterday so,hopefully I will have a quick recovery. After some research, I am working on strengthening the hip area since they are used in all the big lifts.

Bench Press
    62 lbs 4× 6,6,6,4

Negative Pull Ups
    4X6,6,6,0
    Could not do the last set. Negative chin ups are definitely harder than the negative pull-ups that I've been doing.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your injury. Maybe you could up your walking while the injury heals and start doing other lifts like Bench if it is not causing any issues. Hope you recover soon!!!

Thanks Sixpacklady. That's exactly what I am planning. I will bypass squats, deadlifts, and rows until I've healed. But I will continue to do the other lifts. However, I am trying to think of creative ways to work my quads if I am not healed in a week.

• 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @DDHFree, oh no! Sorry to hear about your leg, yes take it easy until it is better!
    dcresider wrote: »
    I'm loving the group comradery even though we can't all be at a gym together. Lucky for me, I take my lunch break later in the day so there aren't too many guys in the gym (grunting away -one of my pet peeves).
    Same here! I can't say enough how happy I am to have found you all!! :)
    And one more time, same here! I try and arrange my day so I can go to the gym in the mid afternoon, to avoid the bro rush, usually it works:-/

Week 2/Day 4/Total Weeks 2
    Workout: SL A

Squat: 70lbs 5x5

Bench: 60lbs 5x5

Row: 60lbs (2 x30lb DB's) 5x5

My accessories :-)

Skullcrushers: 30lbs 2x8

Shrugs: 50lbs (2x25lb DB's) 2x10

Calf Raises: 45lb 3x15
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Many of my friends are astonished by my weight loss. I have lost 7 lbs and 1.5 inches from my waist so far. Keep going ladies, we are definitely on the right track :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Good Morning! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

My injury is so much better. I decided to move my workout to Tues/Wed/Sat this week just for 1 extra day of rest. It's not 100% healed but I really feel like I could do the big lifts again. However, I might give it one more week as I am still afraid of re-injury if I don't let it heal 100%. Not sure if I need to wait. I will try to do some research and make a judgement call.

Congrats on your total loss Sixpacklady! That is so awesome! I don't remember your starting weight. Are you at 120 yet? I'm really looking forward to that point because I think all of my size 2's will fit me again. I am so with you on the message to keep going -- no matter how long it takes. I like that when I eat over my calories sometimes, there is no concept of starting over. I just keep going.

• 5minty
    Options
    Congrats @sixpacklady on your weight loss!

@DDHFree, great to hear your injury is better, good plan to not push it quite yet :-)

Week 3/Day 5/Total Weeks 3
    Workout: SL's B

Squat: 75lbs 5x5
    OHP: 55lbs 5x5
    DL: 115lbs 1x5
    Accessories:
    BB Curls: 35lbs 2x8
    Calf Raises: 45lbs 3x15
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Good Morning! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

My injury is so much better. I decided to move my workout to Tues/Wed/Sat this week just for 1 extra day of rest. It's not 100% healed but I really feel like I could do the big lifts again. However, I might give it one more week as I am still afraid of re-injury if I don't let it heal 100%. Not sure if I need to wait. I will try to do some research and make a judgement call.

Congrats on your total loss Sixpacklady! That is so awesome! I don't remember your starting weight. Are you at 120 yet? I'm really looking forward to that point because I think all of my size 2's will fit me again. I am so with you on the message to keep going -- no matter how long it takes. I like that when I eat over my calories sometimes, there is no concept of starting over. I just keep going.

Thanks @DDHFree . I am 121 now :) Hoping to reach 120 by end of May.
  • amyj000
    amyj000 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Is it okay if I join late? I'm on week 3 too, but just saw this forum. I'm doing just okay. I find the barbell row and overhead press to be difficult. My gym doesn't have 1.25 plates so I either repeat the previous weight or move up 5lbs, but I'm getting close to max on the OHP.

Week 3/Day 1/Total Weeks 3
    Workout: SL's A

Squat: 75lbs 5x5
    BP: 60lbs 5x5
    ROW: 60lbs 1x5
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Thanks @DDHFree . I am 121 now :) Hoping to reach 120 by end of May.
    Oh that is so awesome Sixpacklady! I can't wait to see what I will look at that weight. You might see a 2 pack soon if you don't already. :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 3/ Total Week:19
    Routine: Workout B

Hyperextensions Held 4 sets for 1 minute [substitue for deadlifts]
    Note: Trying to strengthening hip and and lower back and I continue to recover from injury
    Shoulder Press - 44 lbs 4 × 6
    Negative Chin Ups - 4 x 6
    Note: Able to do all 4 sets this time.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ok - catching up
    Week 2, Day 3
    Squats Warm-up 2x5 @ 45lbs
    Lift 5x5 @ 70lbs

OHP 5x5 @ 55lbs

Deadlift 5x5 @ 110lbs

A good lift day. Form was good.

Monday, Week 3 Day 1
    Squats 2x5 @ 45lbs
    Lift 5x5 @ 75lbs. Really watching my form. Tried to do a video to post. Want to make sure Im not leaning forward.

Bench 5x5 @ 60lbs. Better than the last time. Getting more comfortable with this lift - finally!

Row 5x5 @ 80lbs The last set or 2 were tough. Thinking of holding at this weight to perfect form.

Planning to start some HIIT cardio on Thursday and Sat.
  • 5minty
    Options
    @lwhayes820 I like following your posts, I think we are more or less in the same place :)

Week 3/Day 6/Total Weeks: 3
    SL's A workout

Squat: 70lbs 5x5
    BP: 70lbs 5x5
    Row: 45lbs 5x5

I struggled with my squat today, I was feeling very achy in all my joints yesterday and I think the after effects must have still been hanging around this afternoon. I am pleased with how my bench press is progressing!
    Still working on my ROW!! Decided to try it with the bar today instead of on the bench with dumbbells, I'll keep working my way up from the bar, it felt alright so maybe I finally have got it down......
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Deadlift 115 lbs - 1 X 6
    OHP 42.5 - 3 X 6
    Pullups - assisted pullups
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Great job everyone. Stay focused!

I think my injury is fully recovered now. I moved my body in various ways this morning trying to detect any discomfort. I can only say that I literally had to question if the injured side feel any different than non injured side. Because I could not determine with absolutely 100% certain, I elected to give it another day rest and skip squats & rows. Maybe I will resume for the last workout of this week.

Week: 3 Total Week:19
    Routine: Workout B

Hyperextensions- Held 4 sets for 1 minute [substitue for squats]
    Bench Press - 43 lbs 4 × 6
    Negative Chin Ups - 4 x 6 (the last couple of reps of the last set were challenging.)