My weight messes with my head so much

Options
fitmek
fitmek Posts: 277 Member
Today is my birthday, so over the weekend I indulged. HOWEVER, I was also on the treadmill for over 2 miles Saturday and almost 3 miles last night. I got on the scale this morning and it said I had gained over 2 pounds since last Thursday!
This seriously cannot be physically possible! Yes, I splurged at dinner and had dessert Saturday night and had a big breakfast and dessert yesterday for birthday activities, but there's no way I ate an extra almost 8000 calories to make me legitimately gain over 2 pounds.
I'm so over this yoyo type of situation.

Any tips? Advice? Thoughts on why the scale is showing that much of a gain?

Replies

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    --You may have eaten more than you thought.
    --People burn fewer calories than they think during exercise.
    --Water weight gain caused by salt or muscles retaining water.
    --Weight loss and gain are not linear.

I would go back to your regular regime, which I assume includes weighing and tracking everything, and weigh yourself regularly. When trying to lose weight I weigh myself every day.
  • slaunderville
    slaunderville Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always look at the scale even when I should wait it out a little longer. I agree with the other comments- and think if you wait a little longer and keep up the great work you will eventually see the results.

Happy Birthday!!!!!
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Definitely wait a bit longer before weighing in. If you indulged over the weekend, the extra carbs/salt/sugar are probably causing you to hold on to water, which can give you an inflated reading. Also extra food, regardless of the calorie content, has a certain volume and weight. On average it usually takes about 24 hours for a meal to get broken down and leave your body, so some of that extra food is probably still lingering somewhere in your digestive tract.

Don't stress. It's your birthday. You're allowed to enjoy life. There's no need to punish yourself for it :)
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This happens to me constantly. I weighed on Wednesday and was down 4.5 lbs from 2 weeks ago. I weighed this morning and it said I was back where I was. I was 200 calories over cumulatively from the 2 days between weighing. I've found that I am using how I feel and how clothing fits more of a guide to if the weight is coming off. :) I would just take a deep breath and wait a week and then re-weigh if you want to. It was your birthday and we all need to celebrate at least 1 day of the year! Good luck!
  • teruma
    teruma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The same happens to me! Then I get so upset that I just think, Hell with this, I'm going to eat everything in sight and go on a mini binge. I hate how it affects me even thought I know it's temporary, it's water weight, etc etc.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah - everything above, plus don't be too hard on yourself! An occasional overindulgence isn't going to derail your efforts unless you let it. Just go back to your plan, and if you really feel badly about it, lower your calorie goal by 100 for the next week or so.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How about this: track your weight with a trend-tracking site, such as TrendWeight or Happy Scale. These sites take into account your weight each time you enter it in and ignore the ups and downs in favor of showing you a line of how you're doing based on records and your own goals. They'll show you also that there may be a pattern to how you're doing. Mine is steady loss, plateau, wild fluctuations, steady loss, etc.
  • psychodr1
    psychodr1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am always depressed on my birthdays and tend to base my mood on how much I weigh compared to the year before which is usually depressing. I have lost 86 pounds in the last year and a half but still a daily struggle to follow my plan. I find that when I plug in the next days meal, I do much better even if I change a couple things. Good luck. Never Give up.
  • JusSlim
    JusSlim Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    fitmek wrote: »
    Today is my birthday, so over the weekend I indulged. HOWEVER, I was also on the treadmill for over 2 miles Saturday and almost 3 miles last night. I got on the scale this morning and it said I had gained over 2 pounds since last Thursday!
    This seriously cannot be physically possible! Yes, I splurged at dinner and had dessert Saturday night and had a big breakfast and dessert yesterday for birthday activities, but there's no way I ate an extra almost 8000 calories to make me legitimately gain over 2 pounds.
    I'm so over this yoyo type of situation.

Any tips? Advice? Thoughts on why the scale is showing that much of a gain?

I completely understand how you feel and for asking HOW can that happen... As women we RETAIN WATER from day to day... Back when I lost 72lbs in 2010 I kept it off by fasting weekly (not eating til dinner and eat protein only)... See I am an emotional eater so I had to find something (fasting) to keep me focused... When I ate like I use to (like a Thanksgiving dinner) the scale would say a 2-3 lbs gain... Well, I would fast that day and the next day I'll be back to my current size and sometimes I would lose ounces...I learned this from the HCG diet I tried (even though the HCG didn't work out for me)... Oh, and men do not deal with the STUFF us women deal with monthly
  • History1027
    History1027 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    teruma wrote: »
    The same happens to me! Then I get so upset that I just think, Hell with this, I'm going to eat everything in sight and go on a mini binge. I hate how it affects me even thought I know it's temporary, it's water weight, etc etc.

I do this too. Everytime I see a weight gain I get so angry and I just want to say F*#k it and go to McDonald's! I don't but man do I want to!
  • nitallica
    nitallica Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself since I was diagnosed with Diabetes in February. I was at my heaviest I've ever been in my life. I'm too afraid to do so on my own because I have a bad habit of fixating on numbers. I have a follow-up appointment with the doctor that diagnosed me, so I'm worried about how much (or little) I've actually lost since making my diet and life changes. I'm so afraid I haven't lost enough.
  • JazCopycat
    JazCopycat Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What all of us-binge people need to realize is that while we are doing that there is no weight loss. But good news is that if can endure for a month we can lose 8-10 pounds with ease. If only...
  • nitallica
    nitallica Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Looking back at my post, I hadn't known that I was about to have a really good day that day. I had an appointment about an hour afterwards. I found out that I'd lost 14lbs! I cried. The poor lady weighing me thought I was upset and was trying her best to console me, and I was like "No, you don't understand! I've lost weight!"

I know I still have a long way to go, but it was nice to see actual proof of my efforts!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    So happy for you nitallica :) this made my day a better one knowing about your progress, thanks for sharing.
  • need2move2
    need2move2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am fixed on numbers too.
    So much at one point I had 3 sets of scales in my house... the number would dictate my mood for the day.. if I was up .. BAD day.. If I was down GOOD day.... my husband thru them all out :) but one.
    I go by how my body feels in clothes... and how I look.. when you lose weight you know.

I believe there is no BAD food.. moderation is the key.
    Good luck on your journey!