Alcoholic drinks

Options
OK so I'm almost 6 months Post op..RNY. I have not " drank " for over a year and tonight is "girls night out" and I get dumping synd. super easy with lots of different foods or drinks..soooo I'm wondering what would be ok to drink? I know nothing bubbly, so anyone have any suggestions? I do NOT plan on getting "drunk"

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There's a lot to consider with respect to alcohol and Bariatric surgery. I'm 18 months post RNYGB. I also probably had my first drink at about six months. I don't enjoy the carbs in beer or mixed drinks on the sweet side, or the bubbles in beer or anything sparkling. I little wine or whiskey are my drinks of choice. I am a cheap drunk now however, I'll feel the effects within seconds, and I'll be pretty sloppy if I have more than a few ounces. Plus it's got to be hard on my liver. So I simply don't drink if there's any chance I might drive, and I only drink with close friends - at work social functions I'll get a glass of water. I will also confess that I enjoy the feeling of getting drunk more than at any point in my life (I'm 56) and I'm very aware of the potential for addiction transfer. So I'm a little concerned, frankly, and thinking about not drinking at all as I find myself wanting more than just one...
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well I did find out that I got drunk a lot faster then I ever have before, and have decided that "girls night out" will be just fine with a nice glass of ice water :-)
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Malt beverages and wine are a throwaway for me, unfortunately, which makes it easy for me to overindulge. I typically limit myself to two so I don't feel terrible the next day, but I never get full or have problems drinking them as far as dumping or carbonation are concerned, which is something I have to really make sure I exercise self-control. That said, I rarely go out into settings where there is alcohol, so that keeps it in line fairly well.
  • shannontoback3
    shannontoback3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My drink of choice is vodka and water, with either a splash of diet cranberry juice or a squirt of Mio. Or, if it's really good quality vodka, you don't need the splash of anything :)
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am over six months, and I have not had anything alcoholic yet. Doc said to wait till the one year mark, but to remind myself that a little will go a long way. He said to still stick to anything not bubbly, but like someone else said, I will become a very cheap drunk. I think that if I did, I would likely do vodka with cranberry juice. I can't drink it fast before, so don't image myself doing it now. Also, I am sure that since the tastebuds have changed, it might not even taste all that good now. I don't know, but so far since I am working my program I don't want to change it up and add that into my mix right now.

Another few months, perhaps.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    I drink whiskey or vodka straight.