Question for the gardeners here

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
This is the first year I've ever planted anything so I don't really know what I'm doing for the most part. I planted carrots, spinach and lettuce and they have started sprouting and are looking good! My question is, I know I have too many seeds growing in the space and I've been told I'll have to thin the herd. When are you supposed to thin the plants? The carrot sprouts look like grass right now, so I don't even know how many have popped up to be honest. Just curious. I'm hoping to get tomato plants and cucumbers in the other side of the bed this weekend. That's all I'm planning for this year being a newbie, but if everything works out and I love it, I'll do it again next year and maybe add a bed :)

nyxytpittjbw.png

14unm74q6mjs.png

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    that's such a good question. I haven't planted mine yet they are still sprouting and growing inside but now that I know sort of what I'm doing, I can tell I'm going to have too many plants for my beds and am not sure what to do, or how to thin them, especially the beets.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @Deena_Bean , thin the carrots when they have first or second true leaves. The ones that look like parsley rather than grass. They should be 1/2 to 1 inch apart. It always distresses me to thin carrots cause they look so sad and little when done. If you don't they will be too crowded. They will grow pretty fast after thinning . The other things should be spaced similarly. Good luck. Keep those baby's watered and weeded!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    when you say thin, does that mean you toss the ones you take out ? or do you replant them somewhere.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I toss mine. Only have room for so many to produce veggies. It's sad to kill some, but is part of the process!
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Carrots don't transplant well. They will make deformed roots, so toss those. lettuce and spinach you can thin gradually , tossing the smallest ones but when you think the next ones are large enough to eat just pull every other one for salad. Eventually ending up with them a few inches apart. As the weather gets warm the lettuce and spinach may get tall and leggy and taste bitter. Then pull them and throw. I plant a few inches of row at one to two week intervals to keep fresh lettuce coming all summer. Check out Organic Gardening website for lots of good info. Experiment, have some fun with it!
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    We never thin out seems like too much work, we plant seeds correctly, if they don't sprout then theres a space, we have an acre if needs be, we only use 100 square metres. 2 chickens only take up 1 square meter and will give 2 eggs most days :-)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I toss mine. Only have room for so many to produce veggies. It's sad to kill some, but is part of the process!

noooooooo they are my babies :(
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I have very little space because I live in a townhome...it'll be so sad to kill the lettuce, but it's the way it goes I guess. I didn't really think to cycle plant, maybe when we eat some ill plant some more. We'll see how it goes!