Options
TheOriginalBeauty
TheOriginalBeauty Posts: 25 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
Hi I am Carley.

32 years old from Australia
My starting weight was 102.5 kilos
My last weigh in was 94.5 kilos
My goal weight is not known yet. I will know when I get there.

I have pcos and fibro. I have had bulimia for 15 years, 4 years in recovery. I also had anorexia.

My goal? To be free from dieting obsession, to stop counting calories. To enjoy food. Sory for the short inro I am tired. If you would like more OMAD friends feel free to add me but please put OMAD ☺☺☺

Day 1 of OMAD complete ☺. Today I consumed 1200 calories.

Dinner: Deviled sausages. Mixed mash (potato and carrots) broccoli, onion gravy, 2 slices of bread with butter.

Dessert: 1 chocolate mint drumstick.

I am full but not too full. Bring on day 2. I am just nervous that I won't succeed at this or lose weight. I will be positive, I can do this!

Replies

• Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Carley, you can do this. Your story is not an easy one, I know. And although everyone is different, for me I've found that intermittent fasting generally, and OMAD in particular, alleviates food and diet obsession. Good luck -- don't hesitate to reach out if you need a friend.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    You will do fine -- you will just need to brave the stretch of time. As time changes things and people, it can become difficult to stay focused. Do that and you will succeed!
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    Options
    My reasons to help me stay motivated to help me lose weight

My reasons for wanting to lose weight:

I want to be as healthy as I can be.
    To help with the pcos, to prevent other issues that can happen because of pcos.
    To help with the pain from fibro.
    To have more energy.
    To be able to wear clothes from any size. (Currently a size 16/18Au or 14/16USA).
    To prevent medical issues that come with being overweight.
    I do not want to be a fat Mum.
    I want to be a good example to the girls.

My goals:
    To be a size 14AU or 12USA.
    To keep my weight around 75 kilos (165lbs).
    To stop counting calories.
    To stop yoyo dieting.

• TheOriginalBeauty
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nevadaden wrote: »
    Carley, you can do this. Your story is not an easy one, I know. And although everyone is different, for me I've found that intermittent fasting generally, and OMAD in particular, alleviates food and diet obsession. Good luck -- don't hesitate to reach out if you need a friend.

That gives me a lot of hope thankyou! To be free from dieting and food obsession would be FANTASTIC! May I ask how much you have lost and how many calories do you eat? ☺

Today is day 2...I know the first week or so are the hardest.
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    Options
    So here we are at day 2, surprisingly it wasn’t too hard. What made it easier was staying busy, I need to remember this. Hubby and I walked 70 minutes today, I’m making sure I exercise daily, I am walking more places instead of using the car. For dinner we had sausage, lentil, potato, capsicum, and carrot soup with garlic bread. For dessert we had scones, something I wouldn't eat...because I never had the calories for them.

I think for me the true battle is the mental battle not the hunger… I can make it to about 2/3pm then I need to push myself mentally. I really want to do this, I want to make this work for me. I’m currently eating 1200-1400 calories doing this. You know what I like? That I do not have to stress over calories for dinner. I’m not left wondering do I have enough calories left for this or that. It’s really no way to live! I’m not weighing myself until Monday, I wonder if there will be any change? Bring on day 3!

Carley

• TheOriginalBeauty
    Options
    Day 3 Today I have doubt if I can lose weight on OMAD. There is no reason for me to have any doubt, but I know change scares me. I know I need to stick it out, I need to believe in myself. I keep reading success stories of people who are doing OMAD which gives me a lot of hope. Then doubt sets in with what if...? But the thing that keeps me going? Knowing this WILL help me stop yoyo dieting, help me stop counting calories. It will give me my life back, freedom. I know in my heart of hearts even I do not lose weight and can maintain it is worth it because of the previous points.

Today is for sure a lot harder than yesterday, just having a headache all day, being hungry. But I’m proud of myself, I didn’t give up...I did it! I just need to make the first week and I know it will get easier from there. I can do this. I will do this. So this brings us to day 4...

• arguablysamson
    Options
    You have the right attitude. The adjustment period can be longer or shorter for many of us, but I said the same things you said in this short post I am replying to. The best advice is to recognize that the less you think about it, the better it will be. You certainly won't gain weight, and your body will lose--whether fast enough for your desires or not, you will come away better than you went in. No need to doubt yourself, although it is totally normal. You do what has to be done to get the results that must come.

Get creative with your beverages and keep them handy. It has to just become as normal as breathing air. You just do it.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi, I'm Elizabeth. I'm on day 4 and I had a bad headache on day 3 also, and have a little one this afternoon. I live in Atlantic Canada (NewBrunswick) so you have an idea of my time frame. Yesterday I had to take some Tylenol; but today, some tea is helping to ease my mild headache. Perhaps having a tea/coffee/caffeinated diet drink would help when you get a headache. I hope day four goes easier for you :). Take care, Elizabeth Maryam
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    Options
    I need to change the way I am thinking, my expectations or this will not work. I know I shouldn't have weighed myself but I did. I know it had only been 3 days, but I was hoping. Every part of me wanted to give up, to stop OMAD.  I need to be honest if I am going to be successful. The good news is that I weigh exactly what I did when I started. What is giving me hope is right now I am maintaining and not gaining. I think this would  be easier for me to accept if I were closer to goal then I am. I need to give my body time to adjust to this, changes do not happen overnight. Today is day 4 ☺

Carley
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    Options
    Hi, I'm Elizabeth. I'm on day 4 and I had a bad headache on day 3 also, and have a little one this afternoon. I live in Atlantic Canada (NewBrunswick) so you have an idea of my time frame. Yesterday I had to take some Tylenol; but today, some tea is helping to ease my mild headache. Perhaps having a tea/coffee/caffeinated diet drink would help when you get a headache. I hope day four goes easier for you :). Take care, Elizabeth Maryam

Hi I am Carley as you know now! I am from Australia ☺. At the moment I am drinking tea twice a day, water and diet cordial. For the biggest barrier is wanting to eat for the sake of eating. I hope that makes sense? For me the hardest time in the day is from 2-5pm. I know it will get easier, i need patience.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    Options

Hi I am Carley as you know now! I am from Australia ☺. At the moment I am drinking tea twice a day, water and diet cordial. For the biggest barrier is wanting to eat for the sake of eating. I hope that makes sense? For me the hardest time in the day is from 2-5pm. I know it will get easier, i need patience.

I am a bit the same. I like the taste of food... and really enjoy food; but I have had to reflect and ask myself if I am really hungry or just thinking about/wanting food. I also find I am starting to get hungry between 2-4 in particular; but I usually get a large tea and a big glass of water and it seems to help.

Everyone is different. So try not to get discouraged if the scale doesn't drop right away. Mine can go a few weeks without dropping and sometimes even goes up and then a few days later goes down what I gained and more. I'm not sure yet all the ins and outs of OMAD by any means; but I know for myself, I try to avoid high sodium things. They (as well as diet sodas... which are not high in sodium) seemed to make me retain a lot of water (edema). I also try to drink a minimum of 8 cups of water a day (including tea/coffee). It seems to help me NOT retain water. As you go along, you will find things that work for you and also the things that hinder you. With that information you can move ahead with your goals. Keep your chin up, you're doing well :)
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    Options
    Day 4!
    Today was day 4 at OMAD! Today was a lot easier then yesterday, I’m not sure why? I kept myself full of diet cordial, tea, chicken stock and water. Today was the first day I was NOT counting down to dinner, that alone felt great. I keep telling myself I will make it to a week that I can do this… Doing OMAD is really a mental game, you really need to own your game. I need to keep telling myself I can and will do this. I have no idea how long before weight loss will happen but I need to stay patient. I wonder how long for me before any weight loss? I will make it to a month…
    So this is my small entry, bring on day 5…
  • ElizabethAN2017
    Options
    Well done :)
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Day 4!
    Today was day 4 at OMAD! Today was a lot easier then yesterday, I’m not sure why? I kept myself full of diet cordial, tea, chicken stock and water. Today was the first day I was NOT counting down to dinner, that alone felt great. I keep telling myself I will make it to a week that I can do this… Doing OMAD is really a mental game, you really need to own your game. I need to keep telling myself I can and will do this. I have no idea how long before weight loss will happen but I need to stay patient. I wonder how long for me before any weight loss? I will make it to a month…
    So this is my small entry, bring on day 5…

If you have done your initial weigh-in, you know where you are starting. May be earlier or later, but you will lose. Just remember all of the other benefits. Good job!
  • shardaycota
    shardaycota Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Carley , Read Brain over Binge..it's an ED cure.
  • shardaycota
    Options
    At that point where u feel u have to push ur self , have a coffee or tea.. it's ok to feel a LITTLE bit hungry . U just gotta get used to it .
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I find eating salty stuff makes me retain water so I usually just drink water. I've read some artificial sweeteners can cause an insulin spike even though there is no glucose spike. Insulin puts on fat and inhibits fat loss. Be careful with your drinks.

I found if I make sure I eat enough protein and take my vitamins, it is much easier to fast the next day. I would be careful about the size of deficit you go for on a daily basis. Too large and I think people get discouraged. Too small and weight loss will be slow. I ate tell full each evening and fortunately was still able to lose. As I get smaller, it may be harder to be that liberal and lose.

Good luck!
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Shardaycota, thanks for recommending Binge Over Brain - I found a copy and read it from cover to cover in one sitting. I just could not put it down! I have a bunch of friends reading it now. What a fantastic read - thank you again!!
  • shardaycota
    Options
    Awww yaaay! My pleasure! That makes me so happy!