Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Skin complaint - keto related?

justawesome21
justawesome21 Posts: 8 Member
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience of keto causing a rash? I've been following this WOE since start of April, and on Saturday I came out in a horrible itchy rash - it's pretty much spots all over but worst and itchiest on my arms, neck and chest. I've not changed any products, and am going to see the nurse about it tomorrow but I wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar/is it likely to be caused by this WOE?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2016
    Have you just started low carb/keto eating.... this may be why:
    "When yeast cells are rapidly killed, a die-off (or Herxheimer reaction) occurs and metabolic by-products are released into the body. Candida yeast cells actually release 79 different toxins when they die, including ethanol and acetaldehyde."
    It can trigger hives.

sorry didn't note you started in April - this has happened to a few of my friends when they first started (within the first couple months.) One took milk thistle for relief (detox liver), and another took olive leaf extract, and one used coconut oil as a body wash to help calm the rash.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    Also, anytime you do something to disrupt the body's usual pH, which also occurs when you do a complete 180 in diet, things in the body will be thrown off-kilter, and you can have skin reactions. Losing fat also changes your hormone levels, which can affect your skin. So it's possible. But it may be something else entirely.

It should pass soon though if it is diet related.
  • justawesome21
    Thank you both - I'm hoping it does pass soon, it's driving me crazy!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    It could also be related to or further aggravated by even slight dehydration from the diuretic effect of ketosis and initial water loss.
    Check out the sticky on the main page of group to read about electrolytes and how to keep hydration balanced by supplementing sodium, magnesium and potassium if you haven't already.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    As the inflammatory effects of grain and sugars wore off, some of my allergies seemed more apparent (for instance I used to be able to eat cooked tomatoes, but was allergic to raw ones. Now even cooked ones make my mouth inflamed). I'm also intolerant to almonds, and wasn't before.

It's as if the massive inflammation from grains and sugars subsides, letting your body down-regulate your natural anti-inflammatory pathways. Then the subtleties are more easily seen.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    The strangest thing I've found related to this, @justawesome21 - is that when I burn fats, it leaves a "scalding" residue that felt like a light sweat if that, and this makes me feel like my skin is chafing and burning like my skin does with a sunburn. It took me several incidents of this to realize that it wasn't sunburn because it was strongest when I was most active and/or fasting... But, I neutralized it the same way. I used witch hazel, and the worst time i had it, I used coconut oil after it dried. But now, I generally catch it early enough that the witch hazel is enough... Definitely worth a try if you're still suffering with this.
  • MandiCole1
    MandiCole1 Posts: 31 Member
    @KnitOrMiss and I were just talking about this the other day!
  • justawesome21
    Thank you! I forgot to come back and update - after a combination of two antihistamines, anti itch and aqueous creams for a week it calmed down, thank goodness! My skin is still quite dry where the rash was worst but it's getting better. Thanks for the witch hazel tip, I will add it to my list of strategies in case it flares up again
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    I've been getting major irritation on my legs. Super, super itchy. It passes.