I didn't give in!

Options
MEG924
MEG924 Posts: 37 Member
I've been having a war in my head all week, craving a boston cream donut, deciding whether I should just get one or not. Silly, I know, but it's amazing how you can go so long without cravings then when they hit, they make up for lost time. I looked up the numbers and didn't think 37 carbs was too bad, since generally I eat less than 20 total. So on the drive to DnD I told myself I'd get it as long as I excercised immediately after. Started placing my coffee order and when they said "anything else?" I actually said no! Surprised myself for a minute, almost like it was an involuntary reaction, because I REALLY wanted that damn donut. But in the back of my head, I know I don't NEED it. I've lost 80 lbs since last year and I'm within 20 lbs of my goal weight, I haven't even been my current weight in over 10 years; I never give myself enough credit for all I've accomplished but I'm proud of saying no today. I find myself wanting to self sabatoge the way I've always done in the past, but I think I found the cure to stopping the self sabatoge is giving yourself credit and being proud for all your steps along the way, big or small. Do I still want the donut? Of course I do! But I want to be healthy more.

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! I totally get those head battles, it's tough to win against yourself sometimes even when your own arguments for eating poorly make no sense. Big win :smiley:
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV!
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That is a massive win! good on you :)
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @MEG924 Thanks for sharing & super well done
  • MEG924
    Options
    Thank you!! :smiley:
    It IS so hard to win battles with yourself, and I'm sure there will be a time I end up giving in, but I'm finally learning that it's not worth it, but if I do slip up I'm only human and just need to get right back on track. Atleast for me anyway, I find beating myself up over mistakes only makes me continue the downward spiral, so I'm trying to be easier on myself. But for now, I'll pat myself on the back for not giving into my cravings and continue making healthy choices so I can easily say no the next time too.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! Good job! :)
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    And guess what.... the Boston crème donut will not taste as good as you were imagining it would. It never does.
    WTG!!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Great achievement. Inspiring. Well done!
  • momof4girls48
    momof4girls48 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great keeping away from bad carbs !!!!!
    :)
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    That's great!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Great job! It's really hard to deal with cravings.
    I view sugar as a drug and consider myself a recovering addict. If the thought enters my head, I imagine the food to be a syringe and picture a downward spiral of cravings and addiction if I ate it.
    Using this perspective, I have been able to get so far past it that I literally don't even consider that stuff food anymore. I literally have no more desire to eat sugary stuff than I do to eat a can of dog food. It takes absolutely zero effort anymore to resist. Actually, I found that it happened within a month of adopting this way of looking at it.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Inspiring, helps me get through my cravings...."this too shall pass" (hard to believe, but it does, as your story illustrates). So much easier not to pick up the first one, than have to come back from a sugar binge (which is where the first one takes me). I'm 3 weeks back on my low carb, and starting to feel good again -- but it is hard to get back on track. And each day it gets easier, and the cravings less and less. Can't wait to be where Sunny Bunny is -- thinking of sugary food as if it were dog food!
  • MEG924
    Options
    Great job! It's really hard to deal with cravings.
    I view sugar as a drug and consider myself a recovering addict. If the thought enters my head, I imagine the food to be a syringe and picture a downward spiral of cravings and addiction if I ate it.
    Using this perspective, I have been able to get so far past it that I literally don't even consider that stuff food anymore. I literally have no more desire to eat sugary stuff than I do to eat a can of dog food. It takes absolutely zero effort anymore to resist. Actually, I found that it happened within a month of adopting this way of looking at it.

That's a great perspective!! And I envy that mindset. :) I still enjoy an occasional treat every now and again, but no longer view it as "rewarding" myself, nor do I comfort myself with junk food anymore, which was my biggest problem my entire life.

• MEG924
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    Inspiring, helps me get through my cravings...."this too shall pass" (hard to believe, but it does, as your story illustrates). So much easier not to pick up the first one, than have to come back from a sugar binge (which is where the first one takes me). I'm 3 weeks back on my low carb, and starting to feel good again -- but it is hard to get back on track. And each day it gets easier, and the cravings less and less. Can't wait to be where Sunny Bunny is -- thinking of sugary food as if it were dog food!

Congrats on getting back on track!! I've been lucky enough to never let a slip-up last longer than a weekend. I wish I could have her mindset too! But I like sugary foods every now and again and think if I decided never to have them again, it would make me want them more. I allow myself an occasional cheat, but only if I conciously do it... If I find that I just want to run to junk food because I'm feeling depressed, I know that will cause me to go out of control so I try to stop myself like I did today. Self control is definitely the key to making this lifestyle last.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!!! Hoorah!!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Good job!! Winning those mental battles is definitely a major feat. My kryptonite used to be pretzels from Wetzels Pretzels. You can always find a stand in the mall and I can NEVER walk past without getting a warm, melt in your mouth pretzel.
    Same for movie theater popcorn. Man.. I miss popcorn. But pretzels, not so much. I think fighting cravings is kinda like breaking up with someone. If you give it enough time, eventually you forget about them.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV! Well done! Thanks for sharing!

::flowerforyou::