Brand Spankin New

Options
Hi Yall! I'm brand new to Keto and a little nervous. I'm doing my research now, but seems like something a lot of people have seen results and learned how to eat better for themselves. I work out 3 times a week at a boxing gym and even though I burn a lot of calories I haven't seen a change in my body except for maybe some toning because of the way I eat. I've been gassed out midway as well and my energy is non existent during the day. I was recommended this way because I was told it's a good cleanse and teaching mechanism to healthy eating. Please feel free to add me and keep me accountable. Also any beginners tips is more than welcomed!

Replies

• RLC928
    RLC928 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. My best advice is to hang in there to get over that initial hump. A lot of people have the "keto flu" in the initial stages. I've known a few people that just given up at that point. Just remember that it's temporary and it's smooth sailing from there!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The keto flu is 100% avoidable by getting your water and sodium up (5000 mg minimum the first 12 weeks) and watching your electrolytes (magnesium and potassium).
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did not get the flu, I think it was because I drank a crazy amount of water, sometimes I did get and still do get head rushes and when that happens I just sit down with a nice warm cup of broth with a wee bit of butter. This has been the best thing that has happened to me. I am a crazy internet girl so I have read all kinds of info good and bad. But what I am doing most is listening to my own body. I did go to my DR. and get blood work done at the beginning just to be on the safe side. My dr did not have a clue about the diet and thought it was all about high protein. So I just looked at my blood work and took what I knew and carried on. I have lost 14 lbs. in 5 weeks and have never felt better. I am not a sweet eater so that is not my problem with carbs. mine is with popcorn, beets, things like that. this really is a wicked easy way of life to get use to, I wish you luck love.
  • ewunia99
    ewunia99 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm new to the group and getting ready to start a keto diet soon. I'm taking some time to do some reading and prep before I jump in.. better to be prepared! I drink 90 oz of water a day, work out regularly, and have been sticking to 1600ish to 1800 if I work out calories, and have not seen a change in my body for 4 weeks. I do have hypothyroid so I think that might be a factor.. but I've heard a LOT about LCHF diets, and so I'm going to give it a try! any tips or resources that you recommend, please let me know! thanks~
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @ewunia99 sounds like you've got a solid foundation. Tips to get started: really keep your carbs extra low for the first few weeks to ensure you get in to ketosis and cut out sugar cravings ... loose up a little on total calories a bit while you get fat adapted ... keep hydrated ... keep salt up ... once you're adapted then you can play with levels of net carbs or total carbs to see what works best for you ... buy the fatty cuts of meat ... make homemade mayo and ghee and other things that let you "sauce it up" and keep food tasty ...