As of this morning, no longer overweight!

Options
neohdiver
neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
The BMI indices happen to fit for me - so I use them. They don't for everyone, so I would never presume to judge for anyone other than myself.

As of this morning, my BMI is 24.9, formally in the "normal" weight range - 58.7 lbs lighter than I was on October 2.

Perfect timing, since I've been told I need to stop eating at a deficit to prepare my body for breast cancer surgery in a week or two.

I'm glad to have dropped into the normal range before I had to stop. Not thrilled that I have to stop 2 weeks before the end of my 8-week attempt to induce diabetic remission, since that may mean I need to pick it up for another full 8 weeks in the fall (in 6 weeks I'm down around 10 lbs, and I only have ~9 more to go to reach my goal weight. It makes me nervous to lose the last 9 that fast, but is is an inevitable consequence of the the diet that was designed to match the research out of the UK on remission).

I'll end that diet on Tuesday (right after my A1C blood draw), increase carbs to between 100 & 150 for 3 days in preparation for a DIY Oral Glucose tolerance Test to see if I made any progress toward remission. 6 weeks is enough for some people - so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Replies

• hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your milestone! I am so sorry about your illness. I pray for a safe surgery and a speedy recovery.
  • zyxy55
    zyxy55 Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What an accomplishment! And wishing you the best on your upcoming surgery.
  • OlSewNSew57
    OlSewNSew57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's tremendous progress! I wish you strength and perfect health!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! Very inspiring!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Prayers for your speedy recovery and good news all around!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's terrific...good for you! And yes, likewise wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery from same!
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    All the best to you!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success. I join others above in wishing you the best in your upcoming surgery.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I remember hitting normal BMI. I walked rounnd with a big grin telling people that I wasn't fat anymore. :) Congratulations!

Best of luck with the surgery and your recovery. I hope it all goes perfectly. And good luck with your OGTT too.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh, congratulations, and best wishes for surgery. My mum is a very vital robust 81 year old. She had breast cancer op days before her 81st, and on her birthday I said, heh mum, not too many people get to have a free boob job at 81. She was extremely fortunate, clear margins, no cancer in nodes, and the surgeon reconstructed both breasts- from size DD to size B-C. .. 2 months later, she hasn't looked so good in 15 years. So best of luck.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm sorry to hear you are ill. Best wishes for an easy and speedy recovery!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the goal. And very good luck on trying to lower fasting inulin! There has been some experimental studies about fasting before cancer treatment with some interesting results. But I understand you're very particular in your research. So there's the disclaimer it might not be up to your standards.
    I wish you speedy recovery.
  • neohdiver
    Options
    Thank you all!

@Ketogirl - you're trying to sabotage my newly achieved non-overweight body, aren't you - I'm one of the odd low carb folks who need to stay away from bacon, since it trigger cravings. (But thanks for the bouquet :D)

@FitToLead My mom's had breast cancer twice (and her mother and her father's mother). I was sort of expecting it - although a while later. I might be more excited if I was a DD, rather than an A- :) So far everything looks clean (and early, and friendly as to its markers). They may find something else out when they get in there, but I'm expecting a clean report - followed by radiation. Ugh.

@Foamroller - as long as it is well designed and thoroughly documented, I find it useful - even if it isn't quite ready for prime time yet. It's the presto-chango-hand wave that drives me nuts. I may have heard about what you are referring to - is it related to chemo? (I'm likely going to be able to avoid chemo.)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Hugs n congrats on being the healthiest you can be pre surgery. Best wishes.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on your accomplishment!! What a great feeling it must be to know that you are headed into battle with a healthier body, and ammunition to fight with! It may be a blessing that this battle is happening while you're younger too! Best of luck with every phase!!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great achievement, and all best wishes to you for your surgery and recovery! It's so good that your diligence has put you in a much healthier position to recover well.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • neohdiver
    Options
    Thanks!

The timing of my diabetes diagnosis was definitely serendipitous. Being "normal" weight - and with tight control over my BG - gives me many more surgical options, a much better prospect for complication-free recovery, and it likely helped me find the tumor early through BSE (by removing some of the fat that was likely hiding it). PSA: Everyone (male and female) should get to know their breasts through regular breast self-examination.