Insulin Load Calc

Options
wanderinjack
wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
Fascinating article about insulin load which takes into account the effect of over eating protein:
https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016/05/02/insulin-load-the-greatest-thing-since-carb-counting/

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    That's a very good blog post. I vote for a sticky. Ty for a great share!
  • kirstie1978
    kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Interesting article though I can't get the maths to work! Using his example as well I can not get 65g as an answer! Haha!
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Yeah I had to play with the formula as well. Try this (carbs-fiber)+(.56*protein)
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow, very interesting. Thanks for posting the article.

That comment about the puffy swollen face of insulin resistance people was very interesting. Just the other day (though I have only lost 7 lbs and have a total of 35 to lose) I told my husband that I was looking like myself again. That my face was not all puffy and bloated looking. My mother has that look and she has type 2 diabetes.

There are more healthy things going on in our bodies with this low carb WOE then we know.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Great article. Agree it is one for the launch pad
  • wanderinjack
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is the Dr Rosedale article that actually sent me down the rabbit hole of rethinking my protein %. It's very ironic because it was Dr Rosedale who originally sent me down the LCHF trail in the first place.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, I think they should emphasized that this is something you start as an addition to an established low carb life style.

I worry that some one starting out, already struggling with changing thier lives to eat a healthy low carb diet, will see this as one more thing to worry about.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Good point. I'm down about 70# without this information and stuck at about 10# away from my ideal weight and body fat % so I'm looking for fine tuning to the LCHF program.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had to play with the formula as well. Try this (carbs-fiber)+(.56*protein)

That IS his formula. The parentheses you added don't change anything, beyond serving as a visual reminder that middle school math rules dictate that you always multiply before you add or subtract (PEMDAS). Not all calculators understand the middle school math, so if you just entered numbers and operations from left to right, many calculators will subtract fiber and add .56, then multiply the entire sum by protein. Not mathematically correct - but that's how cheap calculators are programmed.
  • kirstie1978
    kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maths was never my forte, but it looked like a plus 0.56 on my webpage viewer which might explain why I struggled! Will revisit. Thanks!