Fell off the wagon!

Options
kristenbitz
kristenbitz Posts: 4 Member
Ugh. Ya'll. I know I can't expect everything to change overnight, but when I weighed myself today, and had gained weight (muscle, water, blah, blah, blah), I got discouraged. So at a friend's birthday dinner tonight I went ahead and had appetizers... And cocktails... And dinner... And more cocktails. Basically an entire day's worth of calories in a few hours. I mean, the drinks were delicious, and my dinner was amazing, but I find myself actually legitimately wondering if it was worth it! Ugh. Ya'll.

Replies

• kristenbitz
    kristenbitz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm definitely approaching my weight loss journey as a diet or going crazy with workouts... This time! I've done that enough to know it's not sustainable. I'm just trying to make better choices and get more active. But I just need to be careful that when I do indulge myself, I still put reasonable limits on the calories I'm consuming!
  • blackeyedone
    blackeyedone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. This is why "dieting" is counter-productive. Don't think of it as a diet. Just pay attention to what you are doing and bring that mindfulness into your every day relationship with food. You need to indulge sometimes.

What she said!

• Yabbo1138
    Yabbo1138 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can't let it stop your progress. A slip up is just that! One of my goals is way more psychological - to stop letting food control me. It's really fanatical, thinking about food all of the time. Thinking of it in a good way, thinking of it in a bad way. It's just food! Don't give it so much power! :)
  • pfeffernuesse
    pfeffernuesse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently did the same thing - working super hard for 2 weeks, getting to the gym regularly, trying new (and difficult) workouts, eating well (like, actually tracking and meeting my caloric and macro goals) and I had lost only a pound. It was discouraging and it was really easy to get mad at myself and feel hopeless about what I could do differently. BUT. I thought about it some more, trying to put a positive spin on things and realized that the workouts that were so difficult at the beginning of the 2 weeks were easier by the end of the 2 weeks (dare I say that I actually looked forward to them....?); I had accomplished so many little things in the gym and with my eating over the two weeks; and I was wearing a pair of pants that just 2 weeks ago gave me some serious muffin top (and there was just a mini muffin top after the 2 weeks). I decided then to take a break from weighing myself and focusing more on how I'm feeling - what is easier when working out at the gym? What clothes feel different? Things like that. It's only been a few days, but I haven't had the urge to weigh myself and I'm enjoying flexing in front of the mirror - I mean, observing the small changes. :smile:
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Falling off the bandwagon? Been there, lots and lots of times myself. Totally know the feeling. For me, it seems to hit after losing every 12-15lbs or so. Important part is to get back on the wagon ASAP and get back on what you are doing. Don't try to compensate for the binge but just carry on from where you left off and keep going. Sometimes eating that one "treat" could be like an avalanche. You have one bite of that donut, and before you know it, you've had the whole box. I totally get that.

Fat loss is not linear so please don't expect to drop 1 pound every week. Sometimes it's 2, sometimes it's none, sometimes you gain a few even if you are true to yourself. You will hit a plateau and you could sit on that plateau for a few weeks if not a month. The trick is to change it up. Do 2 more walks a week, evaluate your diet, did you count that cheesecake you ate?

Don't get yourself down!
  • Lovethesnow35
    Lovethesnow35 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a scale. Its different for everyone, but I am keeping myself motivated by doing the right things(eating healthier and moving more). To me it's more about how I feel when I'm walking, sitting, breathing, and getting dressed in the morning.