Simplifying My Menu

Options
Twibbly
Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
After going 'round and 'round with trying to make eating sensibly work for us, we finally figured out that I can handle planning and cooking 1 meal a day. I started doing protein shakes for breakfast and lunch back on March 1, and after about 2 weeks, ended up going outside and trying to walk more because I felt better. For now, at least, I'm sticking with my shakes.

I'm going by Mark Sisson's numbers for losing weight. I know nothing is exact in weight loss, but it gives me a good starting point. I weigh 190 and am a 5'10 female, so my BMR came out to 1650 calories, with the .55 factor for moderate activity, that gives me 2557 calories to maintain. Mark Sisson said a 932 daily calorie deficit should result in about 8 pounds weight loss monthly (yes, I know, not an exact science, depends on what you're eating, etc. and so on), so I'm looking at about 1625 calories per day. I calculated everything out, and came up with 80g protein, 100g carbs (the high end of his weight loss curve - because the shakes I'm using have 24g carbs and I want to be able to get in more veggies (and maybe a few fruits) at dinner and snacks - I may not hit that number every day) and 100g fat.

My coffee with cream (just in the morning) and shakes with peanut butter powder (I do them in a shaker cup, so I can't use fully loaded PB) added at both meals leave me with 884 calories, 48g carbs, 61g fat, and 25g protein for dinner and snacks.

I'm not worried about hitting the numbers exactly, but my brain is so far gone at this point, I can't even figure out what to cook that would be reasonable. I'm going to try to put together about 10 menu options that are pretty easy to prep and/or cook ahead of time. I'll add more as I think of them and run the macros on them later, as they'll change due to veggies and such.
  1. Kabobs - Beef or chicken with bell pepper, onions, zucchini/squash.
  2. Burgers - 'nuff said, eat with veggies
  3. Chicken thighs - Cracklin' chicken. I *NEED* to make cracklin' chicken again. En masse.
  4. Chicken Tikka Masala - I eat it over cauliflower. There's some steam-in-the-bag cauli that Walmart carries that has garlic and parsley in it and is the BOMB.
  5. Taco Meat - With veggies, cheese, guac, sour cream, etc.
  6. Chicken Parmesan - chicken coated with seasoned parmesan (and sometimes almond flour) and baked, then covered in cheese and sauce and baked some more
  7. Pork chops

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    sounds like a brilliant plan. keep it easy. most of us don't need vast arrays of different foods constantly to feel satisfied. I noticed that when I started logging everything, I basically eat the same stuff all the time, it might change slightly with the seasons but for the most part its all the same stuff.

and don't forget, bacon is a perfectly acceptable meal all on its own. I've had weeks where we had bacon for dinner twice, just because we were busy and not super hungry but hungry enough to eat something and that sounded good.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Any kind of fatty roast will make a few day's meals.

Mississippi Roast - https://www.skinnywithlisa.com/mississippi-crock-pot-roast/ (I recommend Chuck Roast - makes the best one I've made so far).

Still no eggs? Because egg bakes, scrambled eggs, scotch eggs, etc.

Crustless pizza - cheese, dotted with low carb sauce (I do homemade - could even be alfredo or something if no nightshades) spices to preference (I'm down to italian blend and garlic salt, maybe some Mrs. Dash I'm using up), top with preferred meats (I do ground beef and sometimes pepperoni)... bake 10-15 minutes at 400, until center is bubbly.

Chicken with alfredo sauce over spaghetti squash. Can just toss sauce together once have warmed squash in butter.

Pate (I like Braunschweiger) with bell pepper strips with or without cream cheese. Hot or cold.

Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup - I batch cook this and just add cream after reheating. Can use spinich or any veg in place of kale if not allowed kale. In fact, this is my lunch today! LOL http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/copycat-olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-soup-recipe-739915

Any lunch meat wrapped around slices/pieces of cheese and pickle spears.

Edited to add: Tuna melt - salt, pepper, and mayo, topped with cheese. Can use yogurt, sour cream, and/or cream cheese if still no eggs/mayo... bake or broil
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oh! Ad lib stroganoff soup.

ground beef with butter, heavy cream, sour cream, ranch mix (homemade or storebought), garlic salt, season to taste, with or without mushrooms.

Oh, and someone posted a jalapeno popper soup recently, too!

Burger in a bowl

Eggroll in a bowl

Crack slaw
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Roast! I can do roast for dinner again, because hubby decided that's when he's going to do a shake. :)

I need to try pate at some point.

Yes, eggs are still on my list of things I can eat in small amounts mixed into other things, but not straight up by themselves. You have a good memory!

I think I might just do skillet pizzas - fry a mass of cheese in the skillet, add pepperoni, veggies, and a bit of sauce. The kids can eat other stuff those nights (they don't do low carb, and since they're at their mom's a good portion of the time, I don't want to have them be waaaaaay heavy on the fats).

I need to pick up havarti and lunch meat. I saw a recipe in Maria Emmerich's latest book for Philly Cheesesteak rollups - cooked onions & peppers with cheese inside deli roast beef slices.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    sounds like a brilliant plan. keep it easy. most of us don't need vast arrays of different foods constantly to feel satisfied. I noticed that when I started logging everything, I basically eat the same stuff all the time, it might change slightly with the seasons but for the most part its all the same stuff.

and don't forget, bacon is a perfectly acceptable meal all on its own. I've had weeks where we had bacon for dinner twice, just because we were busy and not super hungry but hungry enough to eat something and that sounded good.

LOL. Bacon is a perfectly acceptable meal when the kids aren't around. They actually do need something a bit more rounded.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Twibbly - you're pretty memorable, I have to say. :) I thought you were doing more of an elimination thing and had like 8 things you could eat, ever. Is that still on?

The skillet pizza thing is great - I just dump my guy's on ciabatta or french bread and moderate the fattiest contents. He hasn't seemed to gain with it, and what kids don't love pizza.

Lazy nights - homemade ranch dip or guacamole with pork rinds.

And let me tell you, branschweiger will change your life. I made it a layered dip, with cream cheese, baked/broiled it until bubbly, with pepper strips - LIFECHANGING. It is garlicky, salty, tasty stuff. I only discovered it last year! I imagine it's good on Flackers, too, but I've never made them. I've just spread it on a cheese slice before, too.
  • dgncnc
    dgncnc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I see you posted the crustless pizza idea. have you ever made one of the cauliflower crusts? I'm checking out recipes, don't want to waste my time if they are gross.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

LOL. Bacon is a perfectly acceptable meal when the kids aren't around. They actually do need something a bit more rounded.

haha I forget some people have kids they have to feed too lol.

that Mississippi roast recipe is one of my favorites
  • dgncnc
    dgncnc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    if popa johns pizza and pop tarts had no carbs, i'd live in a perfect world. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @dgncnc My experience with cauliflower crust was not a happy one. The recipe I tried (recommended) was disgusting hot, tolerable cold, and had to be slathered with sauce to be consumed. I have not repeated the exercise. But other folks here swear by it. And I LOVE cauliflower, so I've no idea why I didn't like it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @dgncnc - I know some pizza places will make a low carb pizza with crust (just toppings). I haven't asked Papa John's if they'll do it yet, but they might. Gattitown restaurant will. Pizza hut WILL NOT...they claim it's against policy. Domino's does a gluten free crust, but it's higher carb than nothing...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh, and @Twibbly - chicken bombs (I like it without the BBQ - and my guy talked about dropping the pepper next time or using a different kind of pepper, because here, they're either less spicy than a bell pepper or habenero hot, so not fun...) @glossbones posted a recipe a while back.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you have or ever decide to buy a spiralizer, spaghetti with zucchini noodles is so so easy and so so tasty. I use Rao's spaghetti sauce, because it has the least amount of sugar and most amount of fat that I've found (it is pricey though). I don't even cook the zoodles - sauce mixed with meat warms them up just enough! :smile:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've not tried a cauliflower crust pizza but have read numerous times that the "trick" is that after you cook the cauliflower, place it in a clean kitchen towel and twist so as to squeeze as much water out of it as possible. Reportedly it then creates a nice crunchy crust that will hold together. Dunno...

ETA: and to bake the crust before adding any toppings.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've done the cauliflower crust a few times. It seemed like a lot of work and you really have to wring it out or you'll have very soggy crust. I'm a fan of the Fat Head crust or the one on ruled.me. Both equally delicious and less time consuming.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    ive done cauli crust and a zucchini one, the trick is adding lots of cheese or seasoning lol. I also used my masticating juicer to juice the cauli and get all the liquid out. it wasn't too bad but I prefer the fat head crust
  • Twibbly
    Options
    1) What's a chicken bomb?
    2) No, not cutting out everything at this point. Still avoiding too many eggs, discovered I do very well with whey protein from happy NZ cows, and I'm eating cheese and drinking cream. Still trying to avoid chemical soup products.
    3) Just got back from the store. Pork chops and mushrooms with spinach and cheese in them tonight, ground beef (maybe burgers) with veggie kabobs for tomorrow. Have to figure out how to cook the kabobs in the oven.
    4) The FatHead crust is awesome.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've not tried a cauliflower crust pizza but have read numerous times that the "trick" is that after you cook the cauliflower, place it in a clean kitchen towel and twist so as to squeeze as much water out of it as possible. Reportedly it then creates a nice crunchy crust that will hold together. Dunno...

ETA: and to bake the crust before adding any toppings.

I did both of those things, and it was crispy. The taste was just - BLECH. Like I said, tolerable with sauce dipped cold like breadsticks... But as pizza, no thank you!

I've done the cauliflower crust a few times. It seemed like a lot of work and you really have to wring it out or you'll have very soggy crust. I'm a fan of the Fat Head crust or the one on ruled.me. Both equally delicious and less time consuming.

I like the taste of this, but it triggered insulin reactions in me - I'd pass out sleepy after eating it! LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    2) No, not cutting out everything at this point. Still avoiding too many eggs, discovered I do very well with whey protein from happy NZ cows, and I'm eating cheese and drinking cream. Still trying to avoid chemical soup products.
    3) Just got back from the store. Pork chops and mushrooms with spinach and cheese in them tonight, ground beef (maybe burgers) with veggie kabobs for tomorrow. Have to figure out how to cook the kabobs in the oven.
    1. Chicken bomb is half a jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese/shredded cheese blended, put face down on a chicken breast pounded super thin, wrapped up in the chicken, then wrapped up in bacon (mine took 2-3 pieces of small bacon), then cooked on the grill and basted in sugar free barbecue sauce. We left out the sauce and just made it the rest of the way.
    2. Good to know that something in the world is okay in your system - and who in their right mind isn't trying to avoid chemical soup stuffs?
    3. If you have a baking rack, you can do that. If not, kind of accordion fold some aluminum foil so they aren't laying flat. Or just turn them every 5-10 minutes. If they are raised, you can bake at like 350-400. If turning, you can always broil, though that sets off the smoke alarms at my house.
    4. Other than it being like Valium to me, it's great.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    1. Chicken bomb is half a jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese/shredded cheese blended, put face down on a chicken breast pounded super thin, wrapped up in the chicken, then wrapped up in bacon (mine took 2-3 pieces of small bacon), then cooked on the grill and basted in sugar free barbecue sauce. We left out the sauce and just made it the rest of the way.
    2. Good to know that something in the world is okay in your system - and who in their right mind isn't trying to avoid chemical soup stuffs?
    3. If you have a baking rack, you can do that. If not, kind of accordion fold some aluminum foil so they aren't laying flat. Or just turn them every 5-10 minutes. If they are raised, you can bake at like 350-400. If turning, you can always broil, though that sets off the smoke alarms at my house.
    4. Other than it being like Valium to me, it's great.