For us K-drama fans!

Options
2»

Replies

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like seeing Dong Wook so much, but watching Bubblegum is a bit hard. It's well done but the topics are difficult and there isn't much levity, everyone is struggling. The opening credits are the cheeriest part.

I've continued with Madame Antoine on the treadmill and might pick up Witch's Romance - a noona romance with a 14 year gap.

Healer is amazing.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I am on episode 5 of Ghost and enjoying it. Maybe next will be a Dong Wook one since you like seeing him/her? Pam. I think I have 'yes' in Korean now although it seems to change a bit. Thinking perhaps formal and informal. And the word 'Chief' was finally said in Ghost and it sounds familiar because it was used so often in Oh My Venus. I am riding for half my watching time. Better than before.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    quick Korean lesson: "ye", "nay", and one that sounds like "ohn" are all yes (can be confusing because in old english nay is no). Also it doesn't actually mean yes - more like I agree. In English we might say "you don't like garlic?", with the reply "No, I don't" but in Korean they would say "Nay" meaning "I agree with that, I don't like garlic".

Also they refer to each other by their titles (sung san nim=teacher, or ajumma=lady) but the subtitles will usually use the character's name.

Now that you've seen several dramas you can go back to the link I included in a previous note for "101 pop culture words" and you'll be surprised how many you probably recognize.

I don't know that there is a drama to recommend with Dong Wook. I saw him in Blade Man, which was a bit bizarre. I liked him best seeing him in the reality series Roommates Season 1 - with a house full of actors.

I guess I would say watch Coffee Prince (aka The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince). Immediately after finishing it I ran upstairs and ordered it from amazon - I had to have it!! I didn't know that there would be anything else so captivating. Fortunately I was wrong ;)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pam. I was wondering about yes because it changed just as I thought I got it. I will have a look at your 101 post.

Unfortunately, now that I am travelling the K drama fest has stopped until I get home. Just not stable or fast enough internet and I don't want to pay the equivalent of $15 a day to get it. Sigh. Well, delayed gratification is a group up thing.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I was really into Cheese in the Trap and then it had the WORST ending! 16 episodes and #16 ruined it. I can't seem to find anything else right now. Thought I'd try the new Rain series, but the first episode lost me. Just too stupid and loud. I'll try #2 because it is Rain, but I already have my doubts.

I started Witch's Romance and Madame Antoine, but again, everything seems so silly. I am really busy right now and when I get to hop on the bike or get to watch something, I'm looking for a nice, sweet romantic comedy. Not too goofy or too loud.

Yes, I'm still here. I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll hit a few feature films. I watched one recently (don't remember what it was) but it was cute.
  • MapDancer
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I hadn't started Cheese but there was an article talking about the latter part of the show starting to fall apart and the ending was slammed. Evidently there was problems as they changed from with the ongoing webtoon, not consulting the author, and even the actors were disappointed (though they were very polite in saying so).

Healer was great even to the ending. Also Angry Mom (definately not as silly as the poster would make you think) and Dalja's Spring (great working girl drama) ... and you don't have to wait for new episodes.

There is a new drama coming to viki in April called DramaWorld. It has a great premise - "The series follows the adventures experienced by Claire Duncan, an American college student who is a big fan of Korean Dramas, after getting transported to her favorite show with a touch of magic." I can think of a few I would like to drop in on!

DH and I are watching King 2 Hearts. He's leaving Monday for a 12-day workshop in the UK so he said we have to finish it by Sunday night. Six episodes to go... shouldn't be a problem.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Viki also has a Taiwanese Aaron Yan and Joanne Tseng series starting soon. He is my favorite Taiwanese actor and I loved her in Dear Mom.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I've started High End Crush, or something like that. Short episodes. Two a stationary bike session. It's okay. I'm waiting out the Aaron Yan start!
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Today is my 2 year kdrama-versary! I have watched 95 dramas and 13 movies. I couldn't have lost weight or kept it off without them! Looking forward to finishing Witch's Romance tonight. I'm also watching Bromance from Taiwan. It really was strange to hear Chinese - almost felt like I couldn't understand the subtitles at first.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I've been watching the Taiwanese series Refresh Man with Aaron Yan and Joanne Tsing (from Dear Mom). Difficult start (but I'm into it now) and in real time, so I'm right now only watching this one when I get the time. Thinking of trying Five Children if I need a binge watch. Have you heard anything about it? It has Bang Sung Hoon (oh, my venus) and Shim Hyung Tak (Divorce Lawyers in Love and Let's Eat).
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I watched the first episode of Dramaworld an exclusive Viki original series of 10 short episodes currently showing (they are up to episode 8). It is about an American girl, hooked on K-dramas to the extent they have taken over her life. Bam, she is transported into her favorite drama. You can tell it is not a very slick production, but is a cute concept.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    I've been looking forward to this after reading the discussions online. Probably will wait till it's all up so I don't have a long wait between episodes. DH and I have started Daebak, and I'm treadmilling to Thumping Spike.

Have you seen the youtube clips of Conan O'Brian in S.Korea? I watched One More Happy Ending and enjoyed his cameo.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No, I didn't see it, now I will. I'm enjoying Refresh Man, but hate waiting for the next episode. I started Another Oh Hae Young. Starts cute. Too soon to tell. I'm back on the bike so I will be watching 1/2 hour a day.

I haven't gotten further than Episode 1 for Dramaworld. Sometimes Viki doesn't come through well at the gym. Too slow I guess.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I'm watching two dramas. Taiwanese "Refresh Man" and "Korean Oh Hae Young." Both in real time. "Refresh..." is only on once a week, but at least "...Oh Hae Young" is twice. Really into both of them. As with so many though, it took me some time to get into them.

If you want some good laughs though, "Another Oh Hae Young" really has me laughing out loud at times.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Because I haven't subscribed to viki yet I can't get Dramaworld on my roku, but I can watch it on my computer and it's without commercials. It's been fun. I don't think of it as an introduction to kdramas because I doubt that a non-kdrama fan would get all the memes.

I recommended Splash Splash Love today to former folkdancer that use to watch Korean dramas on PBS decades ago. I can't imagine what they were showing at that time. She said it was historical - "you know, there was a king and someone else wanted the throne, and there was sword play..." and that pretty much describes them all!

I finished "Thumping Spike" yesterday - my sister said it needed to be watched to see 'Killer Kim' from "Two Weeks" in a sweet role. I was considering what to start watching tonight on the treadmill and I will take up your suggestion of "Another Oh Hae Young".
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Just had the largest gathering of kdrama fans in Cecil County! My sister, DH,folkdance friend and I had dinner and watched the entire Dramaworld. There is something extra nice when a group is laughing and shouting at the show together!