I need to pick a fitness tracker...suggestions wanted.

Options
nakeddog
nakeddog Posts: 79 Member
The program requires I track my steps. Saying I did exercise is not enough, I have to prove it. So I've spent the last couple days trying to research.

I live in Canada., so hopefully if you suggest one, I can find it here.

Fitbit...seems to lead the majority, but I find just as many unhappy people as happy. I am open to all brands., but prefer to keep within a budget aiming for $80-100, or on sale if it's higher up...max $150.

I'm not interested in all the bells and whistles. I don't need the heartrate, or the sleep functions...but if it comes with, that's fine...likely won't bother.

I would like it to know that I am doing stairs. I want to be able to connect to my laptop, and print out a report., to bring in said proof. Most of all I want it to be accurate. I was thinking I'd prefer a clip, but am open to wristband.

Tell me about yours, would you recommend it yes or no. Thanks :)

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm a FitBit fan. I had the Charge HR but you could get the Charge without the heart rate monitor and it's less expensive. I recently upgraded to the FitBit Blaze, but only because I got it for a steal - through the company wellness program my discounted price was $113, but we also get $100 a year wellness reimbursement so it was only $13. That said, I would have paid more for it, it does have bells and whistles, but I really like it. When you have extra features you realize that they can be pretty handy. It does detect stairs, and different exercises as well, like weights, yoga, etc. I have it synced to the FitBit App on my phone. I have it synced with MFP, and I have it synced to the website of my company's wellness program so that my wellness coach can see what I am up to. I have been totally happy with my FitBit products.
  • nakeddog
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wonder if hubby can claim it on his wellness program at work too...never even considered it. Thanks Garber6th :)

well...hubby hasn't paid into it this yr, and the company cut back on the benefits, so unfortunately this won't be an option...but good idea to think about for next year.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    I can get a Garmin Vivo Fit2...which is very comparable according to online reviews to the FitBit Charge HR...on sale $90...and some reviews say it is better. Any experiences with the Garmin?
  • nakeddog
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am leaning also to the Fitbit Zip or fitbit One...simple, no need to charge battery in zip...but I am curious BestBuy has a shoe pouch to put the tracker inside, compatible with fitbit...I'm thinking this will solve the accidental loss people experience when out. At home I can keep it on my waist...it has a very good track record for being accurate.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit Charge and really like it. The challenges with fitbit friends are fun and motivational!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and it does everything I need it to. I like the clip and have it on my keyring, tranferring to my belt when I don't have my keys with me (mostly when walking the golf course). Good battery life, plenty of reports to show progress, etc. I like the clip versus the band. My wife also uses hers and clips it to her bra.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am another fitbit fan. I have the Flex, but I'm saving my points/dollars from my company's wellness program (Virgin Pulse) to get the Blaze as well. The key element for me about the Flex was that it goes on my wrist. I've also used the Virgin trackers but honestly, I was not impressed with those. They're easy to "fake" (some coworkers used to swing them around to "get in their steps") and incredibly easy to lose.

Any of the fitbit products are great because the real star is their online dashboard, which has all the information you need. Their smartphone app is pretty great, too.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Fitbit One here! Stairs don't work on stair machines, it's a change in air pressure. Honestly, the stair tracker is a joke. Walk on a windy day and get over 100 flights! WOO! I do love the One because I don't like bracelets, so clipping it to my waist is great. I do find the steps to be accurate, the distance not so much.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    thanks everyone...one more question about the differences between the two I didn't consider at first. I tend to walk with my 3 dogs on leash...so my arms are not necessarily swinging, or I walk while shopping which my arms are pushing the cart.

I am not sure on the mechanics of the wrist band...but I am thinking it needs me to pump/swing my arms as I walk? If that is the case, would the clip be a better fit?
  • SmokeRising
    SmokeRising Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have 2 fitbits (Charge & Flex) and a garmin. I like the fitbit the best because of the integration with challenges. There are also so many apps that connect with it such as MFP. It is the most flexible. The downside is fitbit isn't pretty. The garmin is much much prettier but not as flexible for me.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    Fitbit has definitely been a favorite among people that I've asked. I have also read up on Misfit, and it seems pretty flexible as to where I wear it...wrist, side, bra, shoe, and I like that it is a watch battery. It has been recommended by quite a few as well.

I do like the Garmin, people seem to give it really good reviews...but with the dogs, I just don't want to worry it's not tracking correctly if my arms are not moving. If the Garmin Vivofit could only be a side clip. :(
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    nakeddog wrote: »
    thanks everyone...one more question about the differences between the two I didn't consider at first. I tend to walk with my 3 dogs on leash...so my arms are not necessarily swinging, or I walk while shopping which my arms are pushing the cart.

I am not sure on the mechanics of the wrist band...but I am thinking it needs me to pump/swing my arms as I walk? If that is the case, would the clip be a better fit?

Not necessarily. It'll pick up arm swings, but mostly, it depends on knee strikes.
  • nakeddog
    Options
    After reading the comments here, on the main forum, friends, family...the majority loves their Fitbit. I had it narrowed to two clip styles...Misfit Shine and Fitbit One.

I chose Fitbit One. I really did like the Misfit for flexibility of how to wear it, waterproof, the battery and overall look...but I need to see the #'s displayed, and I do a lot of stairs at home, so I want it to count.

If Misfit can make a display of my steps so I can look at it, rather than rely on dots...it would have won me over.

• BStruble2
    BStruble2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've tried the fitbit flex and charge and I don't like wearing them on my arm. I've stuck with my original fitbit one. I clip it to my bra and haven't lost it yet!