250 Steps an Hour Challenge

Options
grandmothercharlie
grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
I have set a 10-hour challenge for myself. I think 10 hours makes a nice, round 2500 steps. I set mine between 7 a.m and 5 p.m. as I work 7:30 to 4:30. Set your 10 consecutive hours for whatever times you want. Set an alarm if you have to. Walk in place if you want! Track them and see how many times you do it in a 10-hour period. (You don't even need a pedometer. Easy enough to count them. I find when I count though, I actually count every other step so I just count to 50 twice and 25 once!) 250 Steps only takes a minute!

We can adjust on weekends. I'll count 10 hours from the time I get up. My weekends are Sunday/Monday.

Do you want to report on Fridays. We will make the week Friday through Thursday. So, our first official day will be this Friday the 13th!

Let's have fun with this!
animated-walking-image-0001.gif

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Great idea, Charlie!

I got up over 4000 steps today but not quite distributed through the day!

starting for real tomorrow. thanks for starting this. It should be good.

Being retired, I ignored your timing anyway. It always is 'from when I get up" :) Walking nine holes on a golf course tomorrow so should get in some good exercise.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Well you have a couple of days to start. I've been stuck at my desk all day today. I keep forgetting to get up. I did do the 250 for 10 consecutive hours yesterday. First time I did every hour! I had a busy day anyway, had almost 15,000 total. It is noon and I only have 3572 today. Only have remembered to walk three hours. Missed 9-10 and 10-11. That alone would have brought me over 4000. I need to find something to look at or examine this afternoon.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Off to the mail box. 100 short if I don't and it will fix the next hour too. Three cabinets painted. Put back together tomorrow and then onward to next cabinets.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Well, some success and some not. Yesterday, I was up to 14,000 steps and then the step counter went to zero! Don't know what I hit because I was golfing at the time.

Today, lots of movement but without the counter, don't know if I made the hourly requirement. Still working on it.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Today has been a bust for me. I'm working on a certification to be a Columbus Goodwill Ambassador and requires a lot of reading and homework before my one class and final test. Just got the materials and totally forgot I was supposed to be getting up! :s
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I am definitely having trouble with this challenge.

Being retired, I don't HAVE to sit alot. And I apparently, don't. I move around each hour to the tune of 250 steps, quite naturally. Even at night, when watching TV, I do the kitchen clean during commercials and that gets to the 250 mark quite easily.

But I find it difficult to keep tabs on the hours and forget to check. So there is some math and fudging involved during the day.

But it does tell me that I am not moving nearly enough. Golf days are in the 10,000 steps. Outside chore days are in the 5,000 - 6,000 range. Inside days, more 3,000 to 4,000 so interesting data. I have to move more in general. Even my short walks help.

So I am going to concentrate on upping the step count. 500 more steps a day, each day, I think will help build it. (I am going to exclude golf days since they are so high). I want this to be a build fitness exercise.

Thanks for starting this Charlie. Good idea and I am a data girl.