Take up running they said, it's a cheap form of exercise they said!!

Options
TavistockToad
TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
Yeah right...

Just spent £207 on 2 pairs of new running shoes because I couldnt decide which I preferred!

Did get 10% off though! :laugh:

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Lol!

Running *can* be an expensive sport...but it doesn't have to be!

2-3 pairs of running shoes a year (at $150 ish a pair) is under $450 for the year...which is $37.50 a month. Not bad (though I can get a gym membership for 1/4 that!).

But if your anything like me...you end up buying new clothes regularly (even though you don't *NEED* them :) )...race entries...the inevitable items for (hopefully only minor) injuries like KT tape or neoprene sleeves...and pretty soon its a REALLY expensive sport.

Still less expensive to start running that it is to say, start biking (initial cost of the bike) or monthly memberships to more expensive gyms (like crossfit...those seem to be $75-$100 a month in my area!).

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I track my budget/spending, and for 2015 for all race gear, race fees, and travel related to races, I somehow blew damn near $5k :open_mouth:
    At least I made a runcation out of the travel, so it wasn't TOTALLY just for the race.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Running is WAAAAY cheaper than cycling.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Boston is expensive, but I don't even want to think about how much it's costing one of my buddies to do Kona.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can make some of the money back. I won £200 and a fruitcake last year.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Sometimes you can make some of the money back. I won £200 and a fruitcake last year.

I remember the cake! Good prize!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »
    Still cheaper than therapy and prescription drugs :D

Very true!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

A Fruitcake? Did you finish last to get that? :)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

I love fruitcake! You had to choose between a yummy homemade cake or a bottle of wine, and the cake seemed like the better option (crap supermarket wine). I was first female, and also won a medal made of gingerbread. Though it was actually very slightly disappointing as the year before I also won the race and the prize was a giant Victoria sponge cake with buttercream icing and a jelly baby on top running under a banner that said 'winner' on it. Which was better, but hard to get home on my bike.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love internet discount sites for cheap gear. Last years models and non brand name work for me.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options

I love fruitcake! You had to choose between a yummy homemade cake or a bottle of wine, and the cake seemed like the better option (crap supermarket wine). I was first female, and also won a medal made of gingerbread. Though it was actually very slightly disappointing as the year before I also won the race and the prize was a giant Victoria sponge cake with buttercream icing and a jelly baby on top running under a banner that said 'winner' on it. Which was better, but hard to get home on my bike.

Clearly I am running the wrong races. None of my events have come with baked goods, and I'd much rather have an edible medal than another chunk of metal to store!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    alikonda wrote: »
    Clearly I am running the wrong races. None of my events have come with baked goods, and I'd much rather have an edible medal than another chunk of metal to store!
    If I were faster, I'd have a chance at winning pie at my 10k in June
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I got a jar of peanut butter for winning the age group at my last half marathon. Last 15K, it was a box of envelopes of sunflower seed butter. The half also had a couple chunks of metal (finisher's medal, 2nd piece of a 4-part series medal), and the 15K had a curved glass plaque for the age group win. I can always put lesser medals in a drawer; curved glass plaques are a nuisance to store and I have too many of them. I'm working myself up to discarding some of them, but so far I can't bring myself to do that.

Last 5 mile race I ran, I got a bottle of wine in addition to the age group winner's medal. Gave the wine to my daughter, because I don't do alcohol and she had a use for it.

I haven't seen a local race with baked goods, but that would be better than alcohol as far as I'm concerned.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options

I mean, clearly you're real winner with that fruit cake.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

A couple years ago I won a 5 pack of socks for an AG podium finish! It was awesome!!!!! They were decent NB socks, not some of the fancy socks some people run in, but they work good for me :D
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love this thread - LOL! I have no hope of ever winning, so the best I get is a pie at the end of a Thanksgiving 10K :)

To the point of the post, I try to stock up of previous year model running shoes. It saves a few dollars and keeps my feet happy since companies change the design and upgrades are not always a good thing.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yeah right...

Just spent £207 on 2 pairs of new running shoes because I couldnt decide which I preferred!

Did get 10% off though! :laugh:

I now buy my shoes from brick and mortar shops that price match against their own web sites.
    Sweatshop give 20% discount to sweatshop running community(2×weekly run groups from their shops) and also on production of a park run barcode.
    Starttraining.co.uk are a local firm with a price match guarantee against other web sites too.
    Brooks gylcerin where £90 in sale(model 12 versus new release 13) plus a 10% running ckub discount.
    Sweatshop web then had gylcerin 12 at £46.50.
    Brooks launch in shop reduced to £44, with 20% off as above.
    Shopping in real shops can pay dividends,and they have 30 day replacement guarantee too if you dont get on with that model.
    Happy shopping.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Let's see...if I add up my race fees...oh and the 11 pairs of shoes...and the shirts, shorts, pants, socks, underwear, hats, gloves...and a few or so dozen books...and maybe even the Gatorade and GU...and other training related costs...

It's only cost me about $5 million dollars over the last two years. That's not so bad. I think I saved a couple hundred thousand by signing up early, getting discounts, etc. So really I'm way ahead all things considered. Especially since I don't even make 6 figures.

The bananas are always free though. I can't remember the last time I paid for a banana after a race. :smiley:

ETA>> DAMN! I forgot to account for the tech costs, like HRM's, apps, new phones that are waterproof, that Garmin FR 630.....

Geez, I guess I spent $10 million. :open_mouth: I guess this is a problem!!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wait, do laundry costs count?