some questions

Options
bmarw_
bmarw_ Posts: 8 Member
1. am i right in thinking that the human body doesn't share our sense of time? the body cares about keeping the system running and being nourished but how long does it take for the body to realise it's being overfed or underfed? with the underfeeding, the body doesn't want to starve and shut down so they hold on to the fat stores, yeah? what's the time span here?
2. when i log my food on MFP i usually log the food accordingly, eg) i ate something just after midnight of 11th may so i log it for that day, not on the 10th may log. i guess this question goes hand in hand with the first question. does it make a difference what time the foods are logged? because how does the body know how many calories were consumed on a certain day?
3. my BMR and TDEE are 1986/2483 but i'm reeeeally struggling to meet the BMR so i'm basically undereating! any tips for upping my calories? i can't seem to go over 1700 usually and i've even resorted to taking a big spoonful of biscuit spread. yum! but it's still not enough and i'd rather eat foods that are healthy. i don't want to rely on junk food. in my other post you'll see that i struggle with eating enough due to migraines. i drink full fat coke sometimes but like i said, i don't wanna rely on junk.
4. how can i increase my protein intake? the keto* thread on reddit wasn't very helpful when i asked so i thought i'd try you guys. i already eat tuna and eggs but i try to limit them because i worry about mercury poisoning and eating a lot of eggs gets me backed up. i also have casein protein shake to drink before bed but i get fed up of it. my daily protein intake seems to vary between 20 and 80g.

thanks in advance for any answers and suggestions! :-)

*i tried keto/low carb for a few weeks but it wasn't for me.

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I log all of my food during waking hours on one day. Its just easier. The body does do a lot to finish breaking down foods at night and starting with a clean slate.

Do you eat meat? It really is the most efficient way to get protein in. Chicken packs the most protein in per calorie. But if you need to up your calories and your protein I would eat beef because it is slightly fattier. As for your protein shakes, add other stuff in to make it more delicious and mix it up! Also this adds calories. My favorite is: frozen bananas and peanut butter. Or try strawberry banana.

Once you get your protein up, work on the fibef, which will help you stay regular.
  • bmarw_
    bmarw_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @saranharm / my waking hours vary because my sleep patterns have been effed up for the last 5 years. sometimes i sleep from 8pm til 3am, sometimes it's 6am until 5pm. i do eat meat aye but i don't cook food much because of the migraines and lack of sleep. i get meat slices from the deli but i just get bored of it sometimes. thanks for the tips :-)
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You can get a rotisserie chicken from the deli. Or, if you have a good day, throw some chicken in the crock pot and freeze in small portions.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    1 - Exactly, midnight is a useless measure really for the body - it's convenience for us, or perhaps not.
    Studies have shown that with outright fasting, metabolism speeds up in first 24-48 hrs - it then takes a nose-dive after about 72 hrs. Your daily activity from lack of calories could make you slow down massively though in that first 72 hrs and daily burn takes a nose-dive pretty quick. Studies done on religious fasting - so not much activity anyway to worry about.
    Overeating has shown metabolism increase in first 24-48 hrs, but then that settles back down to normal and surplus is just stored as fat - well, and before that too, just not as much was surplus. But if that gives you extra energy and you have means of moving more, that may compensate - to a degree. Look at average winter weight gain though - it doesn't enough.
    The time span for body actually holding on to fat - in other words changing the normal energy source to NOT use fat - is many days if not eating. By then the normal process of not using your muscles as much causes them not to be rebuilt - so there's extra amino acids from normal daily breakdown to use for energy source. Then carbs normally stored in muscles are available so less fat again.

2 - I find it easier to log the "day" as wake up to sleep time. That almost always carries over past midnight - that final snack meal can add up sometimes. That way the macros make more sense - because like it's the protein your body will be using while you sleep that matters, and the carbs you took in that will be sent to muscles, ect. I don't let midnight be the dividing line.

3 - Peanut butter is healthy, and calorie loaded. Almonds are full of fat. Otherwise, no low or non-fat items - get the full fat version. Fats are needed in diet, and they don't make you fat.

4 - Protein in chicken as mentioned lets you control the fat more, that amount of fish sounds about recommended exactly because of mercury, unless you get frozen other varieties and pan cook it. There are several Bird's Eye Protein Blend varieties, that while perhaps not high protein, are at least decent for a frozen bag with vegetables in it.
    And it may tell you what of those items you could get on their on, like bean and lentils, ect.
    https://www.birdseye.com/vegetable-products/birdseye-steamfresh/birds-eye-steamfresh-protein-blends
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and baked beans, those next to some of your deli meat and a few chips make a good lunch. You could take refried beans, spread on a tortilla, add a little cheese, top with another tortilla and pan fry for a quesadilla. Yogurt also for protein. Buy some protein powder and you can add it to the yogurt for some more protein.

Second Heybales suggestion of peanut butter or any nut butter for that matter. So peanut butter and jelly sammy's would work. I like heating a few ounces of peanut butter in the microwave, tossing a banana on top, and topping with a little whipped cream.

Protein bars- I like Clif Builders.

If you like tex mex you can take both a can of black beans and a can of refried beans, heat them up (even add taco seasoning to the black beans). Put that on top of either rice or lettuce. Top with onion, tomato, salsa, and some sour cream. If you need some crunch add a few tortilla chips.

That's all my brain is able to come up with right now lol.

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    1. Im assuming you are asking how long this journey takes? How long your metabolism catches up and starts burning fat? I wish I had an answer for you. It varies person to person, journey to journey. A lot will depend on how long you have "dieted" in the past, how low your calorie levels were before EM2WL and many other factors. Right now, the key is just to increase cals up so your metabolism can start kicking in. Based on your answer further down your post, you arent yet eating at your BMR, which means your body is holding on to everything it has and likely wont let go of fat.
    If you are asking based on a 24 hour clock, I honestly dont think it matters what time of day, you eat, or when its calculated. General rule of thumb, if you are still awake, its your current day.. If you go to sleep for the "night" then you begin the next day upon wakeup. If I have something after midnight, then its calculated for that night, not the next day.

2. I think I answered this above:
    3./4. Starting to increase cals can be overwhelming and daunting. I remember having to increase over 1000 cals a day when I began and felt sick to my stomach about how much more food that was! Start off slowly, especially since you say you arent hitting your BMR yet. That is your first goal. Pick high cal, low density foods, such as seeds and nuts.. spreads like peanut butter, sunflower butter etc.. get rid of any "light/diet" products in your house and choose full fat everything, cheese, butter, oils, sauces, etc. Concentrate on protein. Increase your protein amount by an ounce or two each serving.. so if you are only eating say 3oz of chicken at dinner, increase that to 4oz.. then 5oz.. Make this your priority in your food chocies.. Protein first, then fill in with carbs, veg.fruit etc. Greek yogurt, Milk, Cheese, any dairy product can be a nice way to get in more protein daily. If you like protein powders, get another shake in a day.. get that protein up. To be honest, that might help allieviate some of your migraine/sleep problems. Your body could likely be reacting to the low cal amounts which when undereating, can cause headaches/migraines.

Start slowly.. work one meal at a time if you have to, but you CAN do it. just trust the process, have faith, breathe and let go. :)