Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    And as for "one a day" pills, did you realize how many things compete/interfere with absorption? Like taking A and D together essentially negates them both? etc.

Ulp... Another obstacle in the steeplechase!

A question, if I might..... How do you time & dose your vitamins & minerals?

Thanks.

@RalfLott For me, it's still a work in progress. I am using a lot of the info I absorbed in those summits to just try to keep things in check. Like, no calcium within 2-4 hours either side of my thyroid medication. D in the morning, A at night. NO COPPER. Don't take zinc with folic acid/folate - they form an insoluble bond that means neither absorbs. No Cobalt with B1 or B Complex. No sugar with Vitamin C, Calcium, or Magnesium, as it blocks absorption. Look for vitamin names with a d-in front of them, not a dL- DL means it's synthetic formulation, D-means its a natural formulation. K needs to be in the body when calcium arrives. Magnesium, Zinc, calcium compete. Zinc and Copper compete for receptors, as do Lutein and Beta-Carotene. Copper reduces B5. No B5 & B7 in same dose.

I'm sure there are more... Those are the ones I found my notes on readily.

I am starting to question the value of Multi Vitamins based on this info?

@GaleHawkins Yes, I haven't taken a multi in a long time. I'd rather buy separate ones of quality.

Powder/liquids absorb better. Some folks can't digest cellulose pills or tablet coatings. Some folks don't have food/pills stay in the body long enough to get absorbed, etc.

Multis were started because people started seeing the values of vites - so dumped them together to do a once and done. At the very least there should be an AM and a PM formula, to split up the conflicting/fighting for absorption ones. I used to do an expensive one, but it didn't have all I needed - and had stuff I didn't need. I've done the liquid ones before, but they were disgusting beyond belief. I've considered trying the nutrience, but I don't have hundreds of $$ sitting around unused. Once I was sure it worked, I might be able to do the multi-month to get the monthly cost down to reasonable levels...

In the morning, I do Rx meds for thyroid and allergies. With breakfast I do D3/K2 and B-Complex. Around 9 (after giving the others time to absorb), I do C, Lysine, and fish oil. after my workout/with lunch I do magnesium. In the evening I do A, Magx3, Lysine, C, and Fish Oil. Still working out details on adjusting anything else...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    And as for "one a day" pills, did you realize how many things compete/interfere with absorption? Like taking A and D together essentially negates them both? etc.

Thanks.

@RalfLott For me, it's still a work in progress. I am using a lot of the info I absorbed in those summits to just try to keep things in check. Like, no calcium within 2-4 hours either side of my thyroid medication. D in the morning, A at night. NO COPPER. Don't take zinc with folic acid/folate - they form an insoluble bond that means neither absorbs. No Cobalt with B1 or B Complex. No sugar with Vitamin C, Calcium, or Magnesium, as it blocks absorption. Look for vitamin names with a d-in front of them, not a dL- DL means it's synthetic formulation, D-means its a natural formulation. K needs to be in the body when calcium arrives. Magnesium, Zinc, calcium compete. Zinc and Copper compete for receptors, as do Lutein and Beta-Carotene. Copper reduces B5. No B5 & B7 in same dose.

In the morning, I do Rx meds for thyroid and allergies. With breakfast I do D3/K2 and B-Complex. Around 9 (after giving the others time to absorb), I do C, Lysine, and fish oil. after my workout/with lunch I do magnesium. In the evening I do A, Magx3, Lysine, C, and Fish Oil. Still working out details on adjusting anything else...

Thanks!

Do any of these tend to create digestive problems?

• KnitOrMiss
    Options

Thanks.

Thanks!

Do any of these tend to create digestive problems?

@RalfLott The only things that cause a digestive thing for me are the magnesium, which I hope you're well acquainted with - and the Fish Oil - if I don't have enough stomach acid going on, I have to add some ACV, or I'll get the burps and extra gassy feeling.

The Lysine I take because of a separate thing I've got going on - the others I'd recommend to most everyone!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I seem to be able to tolerate magnesium if I take it with my last meal (when I also take my last Metformin). Between the two (and eating limited calories on LCHF), my morning BG and night leg cramps are pretty much under control.

Taking ACV would make sense for meds that require the acidity to be absorbed properly. Wish I had a complete list!

Thanks.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just saw my PCP today to discuss labs and my A1C was coming down nicely, even after I stopped insulin without permission... but my Triglycerides and cholesterol skyrocketed, after i stopped my statin, also without permission. So i agreed to go back on statin for the next 4 months until next labs to see if that corrects anything. I am NOT happy about it, but the numbers were scary high. When I asked about the LDL, VLDL numbers that were missing from the report, I was told that the Triglycerides were too high to make those cholesterol breakouts valid.

Not sure enough of my grasp of all these lab values to ask for specific testing, although I did ask for thyroid tests and she said that there is no indication that that test was necessary. HA! Just all the symptoms.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks.

Powder/liquids absorb better. Some folks can't digest cellulose pills or tablet coatings. Some folks don't have food/pills stay in the body long enough to get absorbed, etc.

So true!!! My sister is an x-ray technician and she once told me they frequently see elder people who have their large intestines backed up with undigested cheap vitamins and those one-a-days. You know those hard cake-like horse pills? Yep, those. There is a reason they say they contain doses like "1000% of RDA", as at most you will only absorb 10% of the pill. It is assumed that people will just eliminate them, but clearly not everyone can do it easily.

So everyone - make sure you get liquid, powder, chewable, sub-lingual...etc. where and when you can, and research any actual pills for best bio-availability. Plant based vitamins are generally high in bio-availability. Brands like MegaFood and Garden of Life have some great choices. And if you don't like the taste of a powder, you can buy empty gel capsules of different sizes. Some liquid options even taste great. My one-a-days tastes great (LIQUID reViva Multivitamin), and my vitamin D drop has a light citrus flavor.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    Just saw my PCP today to discuss labs and my A1C was coming down nicely, even after I stopped insulin without permission... but my Triglycerides and cholesterol skyrocketed, after i stopped my statin, also without permission.

How are your fasting and post-meal BG readings without insulin? Would be great if your diet lowered your resistance enough that you no longer need it!

There are strong "statins-are-evil" undercurrents in many forums, but some people tolerate them pretty well, and many docs (including my drug-hostile endocrinologist) still recommend that statin-tolerant T2Ds stay on at least a low dose, unless both BG and lipids are pretty well under control without it.
  • kmn118
    Options
    @RalfLott my BG readings are coming down from very high while Dr. kept upping the dose of insulin. When I began LCHF, my legs and feet were so swollen that I could barely walk up the stairs and after watching Dr. Fung, I decided to ditch the insulin and see what happened to BG. Ha! With the lower carbs and metformin, my readings came down down down. Yay! So she agreed that insulin was off the board for now.

I don't think i am tolerating the statins that well, as the joint pain began to get pretty bad, but I am willing to try again to bring down the triglycerides. Trial and error. She was very pleased about the weight loss of 21 lbs in 6 weeks. :smiley:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My dad was on two statins, and three different medicines to help control his type 2 diabetes (metformin, Januvia, and glypizide) and couldn't get his blood sugars under 200. After reading "Cholesterol Clarity" I learned that there can be interactions that the statins prevent the diabetes medication from working properly. My dad's A1C was 8.9, and the doctor wanted him on insulin, but he refused. He took a leap of faith, and dropped the statins back in November. His blood sugars began to drop to normal range within a couple of days without dietary changes! In April his A1C was 5.5! The doctor just scratches her head! And his cholesterol lab work is within normal limits too!

Just know that medication can work against you sometimes!

Personally, I wouldn't take a statin if my cholesterol was high. I would insist on the doctor finding the cause, which is inflammation somewhere, and treat that! The side effects of statins can be detrimental to one's health! I believe my father in laws dementia is a side effect from taking them! Be informed, because knowledge is power!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott my BG readings are coming down from very high while Dr. kept upping the dose of insulin. When I began LCHF, my legs and feet were so swollen that I could barely walk up the stairs and after watching Dr. Fung, I decided to ditch the insulin and see what happened to BG. Ha! With the lower carbs and metformin, my readings came down down down. Yay! So she agreed that insulin was off the board for now.

I don't think i am tolerating the statins that well, as the joint pain began to get pretty bad, but I am willing to try again to bring down the triglycerides. Trial and error. She was very pleased about the weight loss of 21 lbs in 6 weeks. :smiley:

Congrats!

Even on LCHF, I have to fast for at least 12 hours before my triglycerides come down all the way, though fish oil seems to help (if you can tolerate it!), and magnesium has helped with cramps. Also, I got my doc to tell my insurance company that due to cramps, I need to be on Crestor instead of the others. The lower effective dose of Crestor may have helped, too.

But I would really like to ditch all my meds for a couple months to see how I feel, but I'm not quite there just yet.....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    My dad was on two statins, and three different medicines to help control his type 2 diabetes (metformin, Januvia, and glypizide) and couldn't get his blood sugars under 200. After reading "Cholesterol Clarity" I learned that there can be interactions that the statins prevent the diabetes medication from working properly. My dad's A1C was 8.9, and the doctor wanted him on insulin, but he refused. He took a leap of faith, and dropped the statins back in November. His blood sugars began to drop to normal range within a couple of days without dietary changes! In April his A1C was 5.5! The doctor just scratches her head! And his cholesterol lab work is within normal limits too!

Just know that medication can work against you sometimes!

Personally, I wouldn't take a statin if my cholesterol was high. I would insist on the doctor finding the cause, which is inflammation somewhere, and treat that! The side effects of statins can be detrimental to one's health! I believe my father in laws dementia is a side effect from taking them! Be informed, because knowledge is power!

@Karlottap - Now I'm curious: was Metformin one of the drugs that statins are supposed to interfere with?

My BG and lipid profile (higher, but still low HDL, especially) seem to be better when I'm on both Metformin and a statin. I haven't yet perceived bad interactions in my case (after self-experimentation - but before I switched from LCHP to LCHF....) once the cramps went away, which happened after I switched to Crestor and started taking magnesium. But I do plan to try ditching the statin after I hit my target weight!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

@kmn118 - the swelling, and crazy high trigs are a huge giant screaming waving red flags of thyroid disorder. Have you had a full mock up including the antibodies test?? That would be my go to now, as I learn more and more about all this. TSH is not sufficient if you have anything else going on! Did the doc test that by any chance?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sorry @RalfLott , I don't recall! I believe the mention was an umbrella type statement about the inability to control blood sugars with medication while also on statins.
  • kmn118
    Options
    Wouldn't losing 21 pounds in 6 weeks explain why trygs were high?

I was wondering about the effect of all the changes I made and didn't have the knowledge to discuss it with her... I am learning, but have a poor grasp of the effects of LCHF, etc on lab results. Plus, they just do a surface scan; it's a rural health center.
  • kmn118
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I asked if she tested thyroid function and she said she did not, as she didn't think it was indicated. As I said, a rural health center.
  • kmn118
    Options
    I found this section in Livestrong.com (http://www.livestrong.com/article/500114-can-losing-weight-raise-your-cholesterol-temporarily/)

Weight Loss May Raise Cholesterol Temporarily
    Although research indicates that weight loss will lower cholesterol, some people may experience a rise in cholesterol as they lose weight, because as weight is lost, fat stores shrink. The fat and cholesterol normally stored in fatty tissue have nowhere to go but the bloodstream, causing a rise in cholesterol. This effect is not permanent and cholesterol levels will drop as your weight stabilizes. Medications used to to treat high cholesterol, such as Z-hydroxy-Z-Coa reductase inhibitors, are not effective in controlling cholesterol when it comes from fatty tissue stores.

So going back on statins won't improve my cholesterol labs until I have begun maintenance? That's my take away from this.
  • Afroditaa77
    Afroditaa77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes lots of good info. I did take the meds last week but will stop tomorrow, I read too many side effects. I'm feeling great with this diet. Lots of energy, clear head and have lost 14 lbs in 17 days now