Searching for low carb support

WV_Fit
WV_Fit Posts: 14 Member
I've lost 50lbs so far by watching my carb intake but lately my eating habits have been chaotic. I'm trying to get back into the swing of it, but it's hard when my husband and kids keep eating junk food and I'm just supposed to ignore it lol.

A bit of background on me: Married mother of 3 and stepmother to 1. My youngest is just 4 months old and we are still breastfeeding. I work from home and live in an area I'm not happy with so I don't get out much. Diagnosed with PCOS with insulin resistance, so carbs are literally the enemy...

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    You can add me as a friend. I am very anti-carb. They are the enemy.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Is it possible breast feeding mothers shouldn't plan diets so strictly? Not saying not eat lower carb, but it may be that your body needs a different nutrition base to keep you feeling 'normal', for producing milk, estrogens, etc...there must be research on this.

try searching for info on this and if it shows up as OK to do, then keep getting support here, keep a cupboard of foods you can have, or reach for when tempted with their foods.

I sure understand drifting off, being influenced by carbs driving me to consume more and find ways to have them. Best of luck
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    WV_Fit wrote: »
    I've lost 50lbs so far by watching my carb intake ...

Well done, how cool. Funny how if you were an alcoholic, the people in your family might remove alcohol for a long time form the house, just to make life easier as you shift gears. Well done on losing 50.. Go girl.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Is it possible breast feeding mothers shouldn't plan diets so strictly? Not saying not eat lower carb, but it may be that your body needs a different nutrition base to keep you feeling 'normal', for producing milk, estrogens, etc...there must be research on this.

try searching for info on this and if it shows up as OK to do, then keep getting support here, keep a cupboard of foods you can have, or reach for when tempted with their foods.

I sure understand drifting off, being influenced by carbs driving me to consume more and find ways to have them. Best of luck

I'm breastfeeding too and the info I found was about consuming additional calories. Around 500 extra per day pre-weaning. I'm sure I read somewhere that breast milk is about 80% fat and 20% protein (I think) so babies are naturally on a keto diet! Think it may have been in 'keto adapted by Maria emmerich'? Anyway the crux was that low carb is fine whilst breastfeeding.

• LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    My husband and I have 3 kiddos. I am lc (not the past few months due to gallbladder issues) but nobody in my family is. It was hard in the early years of my family when I was waffling from diet to diet. I would start lc and have an amazing first few days and then my husband would bring home my favorite doughnuts or potato chips!!! It is hard making things for the kids and husband that I don't eat but I find if I am eating right (lchf) it doesn't bother me much.

Lately I have over eaten, fought and lost to horrible cravings, had bad skin, and other not so nice issues I never have on lc. I am ready to get back to normal!!

Please feel free to add me. None of my friends even get on regularly anymore. I log daily bad or good.
  • WV_Fit

I appreciate your concern! I've already checked with a breastfeeding nutritionist through the WIC office and I'm fine as long I don't completely eliminate carbs. :)
  • WV_Fit
    FitToLead wrote: »
    WV_Fit wrote: »
    I've lost 50lbs so far by watching my carb intake ...

Well done, how cool. Funny how if you were an alcoholic, the people in your family might remove alcohol for a long time form the house, just to make life easier as you shift gears. Well done on losing 50.. Go girl.

I think it's more of an ignorance thing... My husband doesn't seem to understand basic nutrition. He'll ask me if something has carbs in it all the time lol
  • WV_Fit
    becwana wrote: »

I'm breastfeeding too and the info I found was about consuming additional calories. Around 500 extra per day pre-weaning. I'm sure I read somewhere that breast milk is about 80% fat and 20% protein (I think) so babies are naturally on a keto diet! Think it may have been in 'keto adapted by Maria emmerich'? Anyway the crux was that low carb is fine whilst breastfeeding.

Yes, this is what the nutritionist told me. She said to eat between 300-500 additional calories per day to maintain breastfeeding. I was doing 500 extra but I have been "stuck" for a few week so I just dropped to 400 extra to see what happens. My little guy and I are well established so we should be good. If not I'll up my calories again and just maintain my weight until he's weaned.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    I sent you a friend request. :)
    This group itself is great support. I read pretty much every thread even if I don't think it has anything to do with me and I find a LOT of information and support.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,423 Member
    You can add me as a friend...anyone can...just mention LCHF or Keto! :)
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Carbs smarbs... I can take 'em or leave 'em but
    I do much better when I leave 'em!!! :D

>:) or o:)
  • Sandee_Bee
    Sandee_Bee Posts: 21 Member
    Sent you a request :)
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Breastmilk has a decent quantity of carbs as well (lactose specifically). I found I had a supply drop when I first started low carb, but it coincided with my period so who knows. I do produce less if I don't drink enough or intake enough sodium, but my baby is also 15 months old and drinks water & whole milk so I'm not fussed about that. It bounces back when I drink more.
  • AmazaLash
    AmazaLash Posts: 5 Member
    I am looking for support too... Anyone can feel free to add me!