So far off track

Options
RebeccaMaunder
RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
Hey everyone,

So it's been a while since I have been in here. I think my shame has kept me away. I was doing well in the fall with following LCHF. I was losing weight and feeling pretty good. Over Christmas/New years I made some choices that derailed me a little and from there it just got worse. I lost the support of some people and that didn't help. I really did see a difference before but I am having a heck of a time starting again. I just feel like we can't afford to do this, though health wise I can't afford not to. I am finding that where I live there is not a lot of options to help along the path.

So I guess I have a couple of questions...

1. Is it normal that on days that I work I want to eat more carbs? I work at Planet Fitness and so I am moving and going for 8 ish hours a day. On the days that I work I find that I am starving when I have tried to stick to 20g of carbs. Do you have suggestions for this?
2. Is there some suggestions for easy and quick foods that I can use for snacks/lunches cause I am finding that to be a struggle. I know that when I am home in the mornings I can eat breakfast, most of the time but I find that there are days I just don't know what to make at any given time to make food fast and easy as well as have snacks for on the go or at work so that I am not dipping into hours and hours of not eating?
3. What are some other good tips for keeping going? I am also training to do some 5k/mud runs and stuff so I want to make sure that I am getting proper nutrition for all of that.

Thank you all for your kindness and support

Becca

Replies

• RebeccaMaunder
    Options
    Thank you both. That helps a little.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. That helps a little.

Also you can still be low carb without being full keto? Maybe you need to up your carb limit a little?

I am working with a little under 100g of carbs most days and it's just perfect for me to still be able to manage life and focus on wellness.

Could you add more carbs without it derailing you completely? Or would a little carbs turn into all the carbs?

I chose a higher carb limit to keep myself from the binge - restrict cycle. It's working in that I am still loosing, but I still have weeks of carb crazy before I pull it in again. It's been 7 months for me so far.

• RebeccaMaunder
    Options
    I've thought of that I just wasn't sure if above 20g would give me the same benefits. I have pcos and everything I've read suggests low carb is the best and most people are doing the keto version... Maybe that is the best way is to up the carb amount...
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    We've all been there! Don't feel the need to hide in shame, there's no place for shame here, we're all struggling with food issues and aren't here to judge.

When I've either intentionally or unintentionally consumed more carbs than I would prefer and have triggered cravings, I try to do a bit of a carb detox and focus on the fatty foods I love the most, even if they're not all what I consider the ideal food choice, I use them as a crutch to get rid of the cravings. I turn to eggs, bacon, cheese and Italian meats. Those are all things I enjoy as much as I'd enjoy a slice of bread.

Are there any LCHF foods that you really enjoy that you can use as a crutch during this time? And if you count calories too, I'd recommend not worrying about the calories while you're dealing with the cravings. Eat what you need, don't fight the hunger, just try to keep it LCHF, you'll find that as the cravings pass, the hunger will fall too.
  • justawesome21
    justawesome21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting back on track! My first couple of weeks I batch cooked some recipes from caveman keto, I've tried his chilli and also the chorizo breakfast casserole - both freeze really well and I've often had the breakfast casserole for lunch at work. What I would say is be sure to scan the actual ingredients you used into the recipe on MFP, mine often come out lower calorie than his - although that may be because I'm in the uk.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

2. Is there some suggestions for easy and quick foods that I can use for snacks/lunches cause I am finding that to be a struggle. I know that when I am home in the mornings I can eat breakfast, most of the time but I find that there are days I just don't know what to make at any given time to make food fast and easy as well as have snacks for on the go or at work so that I am not dipping into hours and hours of not eating?

Have you seen the Linda's Low Carb site? I've given you the link that ties to one of her sections with quiche recipes. Quiche can be frozen. Bake a quiche (I bake two at a time), let it cool completely, then cut it into portions and lay them separately on something to put them in the freezer. I spread mine out on a tupperware cake carrier. When they are frozen you can put the servings in a plastic freezer bag to save space and since they were frozen separately they will not freeze together and you can take out one at a time. It will be easy to grab one to take to work and it will be thawed by lunch time ready to pop into a microwave to heat. She has other casseroles and goodies that can also be frozen in single portions.

No, this isn't fast, but it is efficient. You can spend a day cooking and baking quiches, casseroles, chicken, pork chops, hamburger, etc., and freeze it all that night and the next day. While two quiche are in the oven, mix together a couple of casseroles to go in when the quiche come out. While the casseroles are in the oven, thaw and prepare Tillapia to go in when the casseroles come out. Then bake some chicken or pork chops. Since you're in the kitchen anyway, hard boil a couple dozen eggs for use in tuna salad or just eating out of hand. Make sure to use your Crock Pot for something, too. Depending on how much you actually make, you will have the next couple of weeks with little or no need to do any cooking.

If anyone does try to cook and freeze like this, please don't wash your dishes. If you mix up a quiche in a mixing bowl and use a spatula to scrape it all into your baking dish, the mixing bowl and spatula don't really need to be washed before you use them to mix up a casserole. Really!

• RebeccaMaunder
    Options
    Thank you all this is actually really helpful!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    No big deal on falling off the wagon. It happens to us all!

I agree to up the fat until you get over carb cravings! I usually bring leftovers for lunch but in a pinch I get a bunless burger out somewhere. I like to buy these Frigo beef and cheddar sticks in the cheese aisle for when random hunger strikes. I also drink coffee with heavy cream and that seems to stave off hunger. Tea with heavy cream is good too!

My first couple of weeks keto I didn't even worry about calories. I just ate whenever I was hungry as long as it fit into my carbs! Now that I'm used to the diet I have a lot of days where I am just not hungry or I'm not uncomfortably hungry at least.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. Self kindness n patience with initially more achievable goals may help. 20g carb might be better for pcos but doing 80 consistently would be better than giving up and doing a standard high carb diet. Could you do a slow ramp down to 20? For me, cold turkey worked best but find what works for you. If I eat carbs I crave them so I dodge them. If hungry I do like folk above suggest.

I also accepted that whilst my mum is here I will allow myself to comfort eat and that is a conscious choice. Not proud of that choice but on balance it is one of the better ones available to me. Good luck.
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I too have fallen off the wagon. I was doing really well for about a month. I did not lose a lot of weight but I felt better less bloated and my clothes fit better. I had a graduation over the weekend and I went off plan and drank beer also. I now feel horrible I am bloated my pants are tight and I am so fatigued, I am trying to get back on track and I do good part of the day and by dinner I am off the rails. I am reading all the posts and that seems to help motivate me. thank you all for all support.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    @RebeccaMaunder - we all fall off the waggon from time to time, this group of people have been a lifesaver to me many times.

no one will judge, all they offer is friendship & helpful advice. Just keep going one small step at a time.

on the advice of others my current go to foods are cubes of cheese, sliced lunchmeats & I pre boil eggs by the dozen!

just keep going, slow & steady wins the race,

as I was told - its took you years to get where you are , you need to understand it may take a while to get to where you want to be!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I regularly fall off the wagon. But I dust myself off and climb right back up.
    Welcome back. :+1:
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Amazingly supportive to read all your posts. I tend toward about 50-60 gms carbs a day, much less than that can be a challenge to my wellness.. Then there are days (when I want to drink hot rice milk and cacao) when I head up to 70-80 gms, and others, I'm down around 30. I'm not trying for keto at this stage, it makes me unwell.. over 100 carbs leads me to cravings, so I suppose its like Goldilocks and the three bears - trying to get the balance just right:) even if just right changes with activity too little sleep etc.:)

Good luck Rebecca, we are all here, we all know what it is like, we are all learning how to be our own best friends, how to eat and move like we love ourselves, and how to speak to ourselves like we love ourselves - especially when our eating and habits take us 'off track'
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It's great that you've come back. :) Many wouldn't and would just continue on with what wasn't working... Good for you!

I'm another who likes batch cooking. I always make extra for leftovers. When I make burgers, my family will only eat about 4 at a meal so I make 7 so I have some fast lunches. If I want a salmon patty for breakfast I'll cook 2 or 3 so I have food for a snack or lunch tomorrow. The same goes for all dinners. Leftovers are my friends. ;)

I also keep cheese, nuts, and pepperoni on hand for snacking but I can overeat on those so I try not to use them too much. Try being the key word there. LOL

Just keep at it. Some weeks I eat more and some I eat less, as long as the scale trend is good, I go with it.

Welcome back. :)
  • Rose_Oh
    Rose_Oh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I understand completely! I am new to LCHF but I did good for a month, losing weight and feeling great. Our family of 8 just returned from vacation...no logging and eating lots of carbs....today I am back to logging and counting carbs. Yes, I am fighting the hunger and cravings but I am determined to get back on track.
  • Wakey618
    Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the wagon and eaten every sweet thing in sight while down. Had at least 6 cookies today and 2 candy bars. :s You are not alone.

I'm single & don't like to cook much, so quick & simple is always my goal. For snacks I have almonds (carefully counted out), beef sticks, string cheese, & sometimes an Atkins bar.

One of my easiest meals is a low-carb tortilla, spread cream cheese & seasonings on it, and set a cucumber onto it which has been halved lengthwise. Roll it up and eat. I may have something else small with it, but I'm more of a grazer and don't eat big meals.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are back, making the choice to plug back in here is awesome! Give yourself a big hug for that! Great to see you dear!
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon quite badly for a month and gained back 10 of the 35lbs that it took me a year to lose :-(. But like the OP I've been struggling off and on since Christmas/New year when I made a conscious decision to have a month off. I'm classing myself as officially back on track even though I have only been back for 4-5 days ;-), I'm 7lbs down since Saturday and haven't had any nastiness like keto flu (yet).

Keep at it, the first few days are always the hardest as you get the carbs out of your system. I think we need a sticky 'fallen off the wagon' thread ;-)