• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    duplicate post...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    These looks so good! I must try them soon!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    What a dummy, I missed step #2... I thought to myself boy that would be crunchy. :/
    I'm guessing minced is about the same as ground.

>:) or o:)
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Never had!! Will try it
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Pack of sausage is thawing and eggs are boiling. I'd never heard of Scotch eggs before so thanks for posting.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Would pork sausage have the a similar consistency to pork mince (ground pork)?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    Pack of sausage is thawing and eggs are boiling. I'd never heard of Scotch eggs before so thanks for posting.

cheers!
    Our favorite local Irish Pub has a pretty authentic scotch eggs, and I must admit, I do partake from time to time! Amazing with a really strong seedy mustard.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Would pork sausage have the a similar consistency to pork mince (ground pork)?

Sausage meat is what's traditionally used for Scotch eggs, it's then coated in breadcrumbs before frying or baking. Using plain mince and skipping the breadcrumbs will reduce the carbs. Really just depends on your carb goals as to which option to use. If you can spare the carbs, go with the sausage, it will taste better and will be easier to prepare. Ground pork on its own is often too moist to be easily molded.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Sounds fantastic and very rich and filling! Definitely on the list
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm making them tomorrow
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!!

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Never heard of "pork mince", what's that? Can you buy it at a store? Or is it pork that you mince (cut up)? If so, what kind of pork and how finely do you chop it?

Thank you,

Dan
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Apparently, "pork mince" is not American, looks like something you get in the UK. Sounds yummy though....

Dan
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan mince meat is the same as ground meat in America. It's meat that has gone through a grinder. Minced pork / ground pork it's the same :smile:

The only thing that is tricky here is mincemeat pies (often just labelled mince pies) it's actually chopped up pieces of dried fruit in a thick spiced sauce, inside a pie, served around xmas. It confused me so much as a child, I was convinced there was meat in there and i didn't want to eat it mixed with fruit lol.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan mince meat is the same as ground meat in America. It's meat that has gone through a grinder. Minced pork / ground pork it's the same :smile:

The only thing that is tricky here is mincemeat pies (often just labelled mince pies) it's actually chopped up pieces of dried fruit in a thick spiced sauce, inside a pie, served around xmas. It confused me so much as a child, I was convinced there was meat in there and i didn't want to eat it mixed with fruit lol.

I went through the same thing as a kid -- didn't actually eat a mince tart till I was in my 30s, I recall. Now love them, but they are waaaay too carby to consume on LCHF! :(
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    just took a roll of sausage out of the freezer, lunch today is sorted lol!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've made them using ground sausage here in the US. Time to make them again! Thanks Sabine!
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Folks here in Maine used to make mince meat pies with venison or beef. Plus the dried fruit, usually currents and raisins. My mother used a vegetarian recipe that used green tomatoes in place of the meat with raisins. It's the spices that make it so yummy.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I make Scotch eggs with ground turkey wrapped around the eggs, less shrinkage when cooking.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    oh wow, I must make these on my next day off....

do they freeze ok?