Gallbladder Issues With High Fat?

Options
plumwd
plumwd Posts: 161 Member
Have any of you had issues with your gallbladder as a result of eating this way? I had to visit Urgent Care on Saturday and they're going to do some further testing tomorrow. The Dr. thinks I have gallstones as a result of eating so much fat

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I believe this is another widely accepted misguided view that eating fat causes gall stones.
    More likely, it's eating low fat and the fact that bile tends to sit and solidify in the inactive gallbladder that causes them. Suddenly eating higher fat appears to be the cause because your now suddenly active gallbladder has to deal with the previously formed stones...
    So the stones were there before eating high fat and it only became known upon your gallbladder becoming more active.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

"Patients with kidney stones get better advice. They are told to drink a lot of fluid, increasing the production of urine, so that stones do not have time to develop. If you already have kidney stones this advice could give you a painful kidney stone attack initially – but you are still advised to drink a lot.

The reason why we give the opposite advice when it comes to gallstones might be the obsolete fear of fat. If we were afraid of water instead patients with kidney stones might have been advised to avoid drinking to avoid kidney stone attacks. If they did not improve their kidneys would be surgically removed."
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten low fat though, even before switching to LCHF, fat is not something I ever took into account. I've been eating LCHF for more than a year religiously. They haven't confirmed the presence of gallstones yet, that test is tomorrow. It appears that I am have a gallbladder attack though. I have blood and bilirubin in my urine and a persistent ache just under my ribs on the right side. No fun at all.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I have eaten this way for 8 mo now and no problems with gallbladder. Feel better soon!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I have eaten this way for 8 mo and no gallbladder problems... Feel better soon!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    There is a link between losing weight and gallbladder issues. My gallbladder stopped functioning (no stones) after I lost 50 pounds on a low fat/low calorie diet.

I hope you feel better soon. Gallbladder attacks are no fun!
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have gallstones. Since eating this WOE have triggered an attack twice (I've had attacks before the WOE just did not know what it was previously). Although the 2nd time was very mild, more just general uncomfortableness then a sharp stabbing pain. I try to eat very low carb. I think the attacks come when I eat too high of a carb with high fat (not sure about the ratio and am not willingly to test out my threshold). The other thing I do is I drink ACV 2-3 times a day. ACV is suppose to reduce gallstones. So far it has been working and that 2nd attack I believe was not as bad because of the ACV. And I drank ACV during the attack which helped lessen any pain. I am trying not to have my gallbaldder removed. It may or may not work for you. Good luck with your gallbladder. It definitely no fun.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My gallbladder stopped functioning correctly after I lost 50ish pounds as well. No stones, just very low function. It's being removed this week.

Good luck to you. I hope all is figured out for you soon. I never had blood in my urine so I am glad you are being seen by someone. Please let us know how you are doing!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You probably ate low enough fat though... Mostly everyone used vegetable based oils and drank and ate reduced fat dairy products and such. And used margarine instead of butter... All of those items exist for the sole purpose of reducing dietary fat. So even without making any effort to eat low fat, it's very likely you ate kinda low fat.
    I had my gallbladder out when I was 16 years old due to over 100 stones! I certainly didn't eat low fat. I had gallbladder pain since I was about 11 years old but they could never figure out what was wrong with me. It was so bad that my parents started to think I was faking to miss school! I grew up on Mexican food and almost daily food from my parents pizza restaurant. But, that was late 1980's early 1990's and all the cheese was low fat and our milk was skim and everything my mom cooked was low fat versions using margarine and such things.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    As the others said, I'm more likely to believe that low functioning gallbladder may be more of an issue - that or possibly low stomach acid complicating the whole shootin' match. I actually, in retrospect, believe that to be what contributed to my gallstones and gallbladder removal 15.5 years ago, too, as I had many of the same reactions that have recently resurfaced. So I 1000x agree with @hakamruth - add ACV up to 20 minutes prior to meals (I can't take it that early without stomach distress), with, or immediately after meals. It might help. There are some online quizzes that can tell you if low stomach acid contributes.

Recent related threads:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10385680/low-stomach-acid-indigestion-nutrient-absorption-issues#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10388945/low-functioning-gallbladder#latest
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - So I went on a few sites to see if I have low stomach acid. And it looks like I do. I probably need to be more consistent with my ACV. I always take it first thing in the morning, but not so consistent throughout the day. Do you take a probiotic as well? I have been toying with the idea for a few months.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    hakamruth wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss - So I went on a few sites to see if I have low stomach acid. And it looks like I do. I probably need to be more consistent with my ACV. I always take it first thing in the morning, but not so consistent throughout the day. Do you take a probiotic as well? I have been toying with the idea for a few months.

@hakamruth I was drinking Kombucha daily, but no matter how strong I made it or how long I brewed it, the sugars got me, so I stopped (made me have postprandial somnolence - narcing out after drinking it - jumping insulin, stopping fat burning). I do barrel-cured sauerkraut sometimes, but I can't afford the overly good stuff on a regular basis. @baconslave and @karlottap recently posted about fermented cabbage juice and how to make it, but I haven't braved that yet.

But I am starting to add nutritional yeast... Not the best probiotic, but one I can afford. @DittoDan has also been doing tons of probiotic experiments lately.

That being said, I take it with or before a meal (not generally more than 10 minutes, as it causes me to get crampy tummy if I take it too early), and I try to do it with each meal (1-3 tsp per meal with water), and a 4th time if it's super early when I finish dinner and take my PM supplements later. 95% of the stomach distress is GONE.

Debating the HCL enzymes to take for at least part of my day's meals, as I'm exhausted drinking tons of ACV....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OXKHC

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M4CD2C/
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with a gall bladder problem and multiple stones. I too have lost weight (about 50 lbs); some via lower fat, CICO and more recently via LCHF. I'm curious as to what my doctor is going to recommend when I see her next week. I don't want surgery. I'm still recovering from an emergency appendectomy last week, which is when the gall bladder issues where found.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If the gallbladder isn't giving you pain it can remain in place. If you begin to have pain from it, it would need to be removed. Many people live with stones, and don't realize it. But once they cause pain, you'll want it out.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    If the gallbladder isn't giving you pain it can remain in place. If you begin to have pain from it, it would need to be removed. Many people live with stones, and don't realize it. But once they cause pain, you'll want it out.

Thanks, Karlottap! I've been doing a bit of reading today that confirms what you said. My mother had a problem hers MANY years ago and she was in agony. Of course, they removed it. Hopefully, I won't have an issue. Barbara
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I haven't noticed any gallbladder problems, but this week I suspect I have some kidney stones. Lower right side back pain/cramps that come and go. It's not the agony described by many people with kidney stones, so I am pushing water and hoping that I pulled a muscle. :smile:

BTW, my mother had her gallbladder removed laparoscopically with very little pain or recovery time.