What inspires you?

KetoGirl83
KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
You know. When temptation knocks, what inspires you to resist?

Me, it has been so many things. Mostly health related. But now that I've accepted that the health stuff will right itself given time, I find myself revisiting goals that I had previously archived for another life.

Mainly this. Dresses. Cute, vintage, girlie dresses. I've always loved the 50's but except for a very brief period in my early twenties I never had the body to wear vintage.

It's been 20 years since I've last worn a dress and many years since I started hiding my arms under increasingly longer sleeves. My swollen legs and fat arms are not fit to be displayed. But they're - very sloooowly - becoming less big. So I've added this to my goals: I want to wear a vintage dress and look good in it.

What about you? Any non scale goals and inspiration?
4ibbtwknxsjp.png

::flowerforyou::

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    That dress is so pretty! I love the vintage style.

My current big inspiration is an instagram account called Girls Who Power Lift. Seeing those women lift weights twice their body weight is hella inspiring and if I can get even as half as strong as them, I would be on cloud nine.

https://www.girlswhopowerlift.com/
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Like the dress but...
    I'd wear a shirt with that pattern :)

>:) or o:)
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    @samanthaluangphixay wow, great site, inspiring indeed.

@KenSmith108 well, why not? Male fashion is very boring, lol.

::flowerforyou::
  • Wakey618
    Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
    I want to be a Tough Mudder some day!! I would be happy to do a "Half Tough Mudder" this year, and am considering making it a goal. Not sure if it's physically possible or not...

I also want to hike in the Grand Canyon, and take other hiking trips. And bicycling trips. And go kayaking (which I'm supposed to do in 2 wks if my ribs heal :-) ). So many other active things - I want to have an active lifestyle.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I mainly want health and ease of movement. It's hard to play with extra weight, especially once you are arthritic.

I like wearing cuter clothes, but I'm not much of a fashion plate... or even know fashion to be honest. Looking good in jeans and a fitted top makes me happy though. :) I like being able to wear some of my polyester from yesteryear too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    What inspires me is fiesty old ladies! Lol
    I want to be the 80 year old grandma that kicks *kitten* at life!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    ok 2 things... 1) someone pretty pretty please tell me what the *kitten* thing is all about - I've seen it in half a dozen posts in other forums and it always seems to be the **** for different things and I can't piece together if it is just the current <insert for random "MFP-unacceptable word"> or if it actually means something specific or if that's what MFP puts in for cusses now or what

2) I'm not sure I have an inspiration right now, which may be why it is so hard for me to stay or get back on track. I have a goal, but it is running-related and I'm not sure yet if I'll even be able to run again let alone in time to train for the event I have had in mind for the last year, so it is almost as much a demotivation as it is an inspiration - "if I can't do this thing then I just quit everything" kind of deal.

I think I need to find an inspiration. I also think I need to give myself some more time... i am only 1 week out of surgery, today. But between now, TODAY, and June 20 (which will be the full 6-weeks recovery mark), I need to find something to make it worthwhile to get/stay on track with my eating. I'm kind of in a funk right now.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    edited May 2016
    KITTEN is "Woman who dates older men", taken from internetslang.com. But I'm not sure that is the only use of the word since it doesn't make sense sometimes.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Kitten is used to replace unacceptable words in MFP forums.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    @KetoGirl83 I love that dress. One of my good friends is very into the vintage pin-up thing and she's got the cutest clothes!

@DorkothyParker The Cure is one of my most favorite bands! Have fun!

My inspiration is mostly reduction in arthritis pain and being able to exercise again. I would really, really like to get a little more muscle but my RA makes it very hard to lift heavy. Sadly while I love buying cute clothes I have a lot of not so terrific looking tattoos and I'm crazy short so things never look as cute on me as I'd like...I usually end up stepping on even the petite pants! haha
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Phrick wrote: »
    ok 2 things... 1) someone pretty pretty please tell me what the *kitten* thing is all about - I've seen it in half a dozen posts in other forums and it always seems to be the **** for different things and I can't piece together if it is just the current <insert for random "MFP-unacceptable word"> or if it actually means something specific or if that's what MFP puts in for cusses now or what

2) I'm not sure I have an inspiration right now, which may be why it is so hard for me to stay or get back on track. I have a goal, but it is running-related and I'm not sure yet if I'll even be able to run again let alone in time to train for the event I have had in mind for the last year, so it is almost as much a demotivation as it is an inspiration - "if I can't do this thing then I just quit everything" kind of deal.

I think I need to find an inspiration. I also think I need to give myself some more time... i am only 1 week out of surgery, today. But between now, TODAY, and June 20 (which will be the full 6-weeks recovery mark), I need to find something to make it worthwhile to get/stay on track with my eating. I'm kind of in a funk right now.

Any bad word you try use gets replaced with kitten.
    I said I want to kick a s s at life. But MFP wants me to kick kittens! Lol
    Any "bad word" I would've tried to use would've ended up as kitten, so you just have to figure out which naughty word makes sense.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    My inspiration has been the health I have gained from eating this way! After being unable to work for ten years because of the constant fibromyalgia pain, and returning to work last November after beginning this woe in April, 2015!! Keto has given me a life back that I didn't even dream about anymore! I'm NOT giving it back to carbage! Keeps me out of the doughnuts someone brings to work, or the employee appreciation ice cream treat! I have no desire to return to the pain I used to suffer!
  • Wakey618
    I said I want to kick a s s at life. But MFP wants me to kick kittens! Lol

ROFL!!! You meanie - kicking kittens *smh*
  • Wakey618
    baconslave wrote: »
    Being able to do all those things now is just amazing, let me tell you. I weighed 255lb in 2014. I didn't take more than 300 steps all day and going up and down stairs was a hassle. Now I can hike all day, bike all day, give my 13 year-old h3ll in soccer, shoot mad hoops, walk with my 45lb 5-year-old on my shoulders...life is so much more fun now.
    That is so awesome how far you have come and I'm so glad you're living life fully now - CONGRATS!!! I used to be athletic and in shape for a period (2005-2010ish), but let myself go. I'm only halfway to my weight loss goal but am already thrilled with the increased energy!

• Wakey618

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. What kind of surgery did you have? Be sure not to go too light on the eating right now, as your body is working hard just to recover from the surgery and needs the fuel. And be kind to yourself if you indulge a bit. Recovery is tough and some "low" moods are common (aka your "funk"). I hope you're feeling better soon.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Wakey618 wrote: »

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. What kind of surgery did you have? Be sure not to go too light on the eating right now, as your body is working hard just to recover from the surgery and needs the fuel. And be kind to yourself if you indulge a bit. Recovery is tough and some "low" moods are common (aka your "funk"). I hope you're feeling better soon.

@Wakey618 - I had laparoscopic, robotic hysterectomy on May 9. I am struggling to eat enough - well, I guess what I'm struggling with is that I can't seem to get in as much as I was eating prior to surgery. I was eating 1850 and losing very slowly, which was fine but the last week I've been coming in around 1350-1450 a day and it scares me a little, it feels so low haha! I KNOW I need to eat well to recover well but I have so little appetite, ugh.