Stunted weight loss??? :( (Kind of a rant...)

Options
So, I'm super bummed today. I was weighed for the first time in 2 weeks. (My Dr's office was closed all last week for independence day.) I only lost 1 POUND IN TWO WEEKS!!!! :( This is devastating considering I've been losing a steady 4-5 pounds a week for the past 2 months. On top of that, while this is insignificant, I didn't get to see my favorite doctor today. She explains things really well to me. But the lady I saw today just said "Your ketones are way too big, you need to eat more carbs." I know they were huge because I saw that little ketostick get darker and darker until it was almost black. But why is that? I've been literally doing nothing different! I eat between 18-23 carbs a day just like I've been doing for 2 months now. Why all of a sudden is it not working? :( Did I do something wrong? The lady told me I needed to eat 30 a day now. The thing is, I'm still super overweight. Why would raising my carbs help me? Ughhhh.... I also think I have a ovarian cyst because I've been in horrible pain the past few days. Could that prevent my weight loss? I'm waiting on a call back from my OB. I was in so much pain last night that I was *this* close to going to the ER. I'm sorry this was all over the place I'm just suuuper bummed today. :( Any advice/words of encouragement?

Replies

• MzSmythe
    MzSmythe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on your weight lost to date! 4-5lbs a week is a massive achievement! However, it's likely that your body is just catching up with itself. That's a lot of weight to drop so fast (not a judgement I hasten to add!) so your body will be desperately trying to rebalance itself and adjust. That said, still losing a pound is losing a pound - though I can appreciate it's disappointing after the initial big numbers. You'll find that your weight loss will fluctuate naturally, and after a stall, lots of people tend to find they have a tendency for a 'whoosh' where another big number drops off.

I tend to stay the same weight for a couple of weeks at a time, then overnight I'll have lost 3-4lbs the next morning. V. Frustrating, but keeping track of my patterns has helped me see that in the end, I'm losing on average!

Re: the ovarian cyst - I'm not a doctor, but cysts can do some random stuff to your hormones. So it is possible it could be affecting your weight loss, but I'm of a mind it's more likely to be the recalibration effect at the moment.

Hope you're feeling better soon :flowerforyou:
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? Concentrated urine can cause high ketone levels. Aim for 96oz a day.
    Are you taking measurements? They are a better indicator of your fat loss than a number on a scale. You were also losing crazy fast and that just can't continue to happen all the time. I lost my firs 40lbs quickly and then slowed down to 4lbs a month. Just remember that it's not a race and this is a lifestyle change.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You may be be taking dietary ketosis too far. I'm not sure if you can cause ketoacidosis but your test strips going so dark, suggests your level is outside of typical dieting range. I do not believe it is a safe level.

4-5 pounds per week is extreme.
  • af1973
    af1973 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have lost 19 lbs in 1 month too so about 4.5 or so per week. My problem is just I have no appetite since kicking the carbs
  • Cidalia_LC
    Cidalia_LC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lots of potential reasons. Weight loss slows as you get slimmer because your caloric needs get smaller. Make sure you're drinking enough fluids / water-rich foods. Make sure your protein intake is not too high -- enough, but not too high. Protein can be converted into glucose by the body.

On the other hand, it's perfectly okay to only lose one pound a week. It's still a loss, and it takes time to tweak our diet, not only for weight loss, but eventually for maintenance. It's really not a race. It's a lifestyle change. Enjoy all the little and big changes that come with it. Eating healthier, moving more, getting control of appetite, etc.
  • MoniqueCoulas
    MoniqueCoulas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I heard that when you are not showing as big a loss on the scale, you should measure yourself. Usually you are losing inches ,the scale shouldn't be our only guide to encourage us. I wasn't showing as much as I thought on the scale either, but boy the inches were melting off. I wished it would have shown on the scale also, but my clothes were telling the true story.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's normal for ketones not to show in urine after a while, even while you're still in ketosis. It's actually a good sign. Here's a good link to why it stops showing up, as well as why it's normal to have weight loss stalls.

https://m.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • freidaws
    freidaws Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I began my KETO diet on May 16, 2016. It has been 108 days and I've lost 41.2 pounds. The first week I lost 8 pounds alone. Then I would lose 4 to 5 pounds a week until week 6. Now, I will go a week and not lose anything, and due to the water fluctuation, my weigh-in day might just be the day I'm holding water. I last weighed 12 days ago and had lost a little over a pound in a week & recorded my loss. I weighed 7 days later after the pound loss and gained that pound, was really bummed cause I knew I had not cheat one morsel! But I stayed the course, and this morning I've lost 3.8 pounds. There's no rhyme or reason. I've learned now that I will not weigh but about every 14 days - or at least I'll try. In the past when I'd gain (with no obvious reason) I'd throw up my hands and just forget it. I'm learning patience. The Keto diet is not a diet that one can "cheat" and expect to lose weight. It takes the body days to readjust for weight loss mode. So, now, I just keep going and know it will release. The body can't hold on to it forever!
  • awisdom309
    awisdom309 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am four days now on keto diet, I have been eating correct, I think and drinking like 101 oz of pure water, I can't wait to get on my scale next Tuesday . I would like to see a difference.