New to group

Options
Mgirgis12345
Mgirgis12345 Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
Spent a large part of my day reading up with on this concept. I was aware of bmr but not tdee. After many years of not eating enough I recently uped my calories...after reading this today it seems I'm still not eating enough. Will up my calories a bit tom and see how it goes. Hopefully it budges my weight plateau!

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Feel free to ask any questions as you navigate around and get a feel for things. increasing your cals up is a great starting point and I hope you continue to up them until you reach your TDEE. Awesome work!

Feel free to join us at www.eatmore2weighless.com as well where there is a great forum there with more helpful advice and people:)
    Lots of great information there.

• Mgirgis12345
    Options
    Thanx so much. I am really concerned however about putting on weight right now since I'm not able to techically workout to my full capacity. Right now walking is all I am doing. Tdee minus 15 percent for a sendentaey person with my stats says I should be eating 1500 a day. It calculated my TDee to be 1700. Should I be warimg 1500 or 1700?
  • Mgirgis12345
    Options
    Eating sorry not warimg
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If you are consistently walking, you are not sedentary anymore, which means your TDEE will go up. Walking is a great way to start until you are ready for different workouts. Plus it relieves stress. You can always begin with a more modest cut on calories and see what happens. If later you need to cut more, you will have room to decrease a little more. The idea is to lose fat eating as much as you can
  • Mgirgis12345
    Options
    Thanx...ibam so glad I found this group. I recwntly read the what to expect post in the group... It's gonna be gradual but well worth it for the long term. Thank again
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Exactly, it's not a quick fix, but it's a long term solution, it's a lifestyle.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanx so much. I am really concerned however about putting on weight right now since I'm not able to techically workout to my full capacity. Right now walking is all I am doing. Tdee minus 15 percent for a sendentaey person with my stats says I should be eating 1500 a day. It calculated my TDee to be 1700. Should I be warimg 1500 or 1700?

Only because I sense a mixing of ideas together. Weight gain, or loss, and workouts.

Putting on or losing weight is determined by the amount you eat, compared to the amount you burn in total.
    So as you attempted to do - picking appropriate activity level for what you are doing right now.

The workouts merely determine what is lost or gained depending on eating more or less or maintenance.
    And increasing the amount you burn by those workouts - merely means you get to eat more - which may help with adherence.

Eat less with no workouts - likely could include some muscle mass with fat loss - unless deficit is very reasonable and minor.
    Eat more with no workouts - you'll add fat.

So even if you were working out to your full capacity, and current eating level was causing no weight change - eating more by a big amount will cause fat gain - but if right workouts (strength) some muscle too.
    Until such time as your body sped up your TDEE to potential, rather than current suppressed.

I'd agree too that Sedentary is rarely correct - especially on those rough 5 level TDEE tables based on 1919 study - it's only 20% more than BMR. On my big sedentary day with work sitting all day, and 3 hrs later, and not much between - I do more the 25% over BMR, which more recent study that MFP uses too, considers sedentary.
    You throw a kid in there or pets, or cooking for family, and tad active after work - you are lightly active easily.
    Depending on time walking, maybe half-way between lightly active and moderate.
    Or use the Just TDEE spreadsheet on my profile page to include that planned walking and your daily activity together.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sedentary is definitely not you, if you are walking around:) Sedentary really should be listed as immobile persons. Basically, unless you are bedridden, or literally spend every waking minute in a sitting position, you are not sedentary:)
    I would at least choose lightly active as your level and increase your cals based on that to begin. If your walks are quite long, or many walks in a day/week, then Id increase to moderate and see what happens.