Carb lite food?? Suggestions please.

Options
Shrinkydink1977
Shrinkydink1977 Posts: 197 Member
I had a bad weekend.. my mother's birthday and stress ate.. I'm up almost 2 pounds.. cutting out soda this week and really watching my carbs and calories.. I'm hoping to lose it by weigh in on Friday.. if I gain then I deserved it.

Anyone have any suggestions for me. I went to my primary dr on 4/4 he said the only way I would lose weight is to have gastric bypass. In the meantime eat 1200-1400 calories (I'm 5 ft 9 and 288-290 pounds.. I was 302 at the time he said that). For personal reasons that is not the way I want to go. So I contacted a new primary dr who also specializes in weight loss (kill 2 birds with one stone right?) THIS dr said to eat 1600 calories but stay under 80-90 carbs and eventually he'd lower it to 60 carbs. I'm staying in my carb range. I'm eating fairly healthy. No bread, an occasional potato, no popcorn.. but I can't seem to eat more than 1300 calories a day without going over carbs. Any ideas on carb lite foods with more calories that aren't high in fat since I'm watching that too?

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Cook cauliflower really well, puree with splash of milk, butter and garlic seasoning, sprinkle with a low fat cheese of your liking, oven bake chicken with low sodium taco seasoning and serve with some salsa (very low carb meal i love) cauliflower has some carbs but it is high in fibre so its a balance, there isnt much to add from the butter and milk
  • Deem114
    Deem114 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give solid suggestions because then you fall into the "too high sodium" trap that I'm experiencing :neutral: I'm pretty strict on my carb intake, usually staying between 20-30g while staying pretty high on protein. I'm sure without a lot of the shortcuts I take I could control my salt intake better though!

Thing is, the examples I have don't really fit the higher calories that you're looking for other than maybe the burger I had last night at Fuddruckers (which was awesome by the way!). That was a 1/2lb Elk burger, no bun Swiss Melt style (swiss cheese, grilled onions, mushrooms) with a fried egg on top. That comes out to 555 calories, 15g carbs, 19g fat, 46g protein.

I do alot of "zoodles", zucchini/squash noodles, stir fried with Olive Oil Pam spray, and a package of Foster Farms Southwest Chicken strips (sigh, there's that insane sodium again) and a couple teaspoons of parmesan/romano cheese. A huge pile of that (2 zukes/1 squash) comes out to 311 calories, 12g carbs, 8g fat, 50g protein but a whopping 1473mg sodium.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I follow a low-carb diet (although I had to liberalize it a bit for the next few weeks for medical reasons). I've found that it's best to focus on your proteins first, then your veggies, and eating fat to satiety. If you're able to cook from scratch, it helps a lot. Keeping meals simple are easiest for me-- i.e., meat, veggies, and oils to cook or an avocado for a snack if I need additional fat. Low-carb substitute foods don't work for me-- artificial sweeteners tend to cause cravings for me, and I have many allergies to nuts, soy, etc. But that's me, so if they work for you, go for it!

My diary is open to my friends, if you want to look at it. However, for the past week I had to increase my carbs, and had a day of over-eating carbs and a few less-than-optimal food choices as I transitioned to the higher carb level and felt with some of the resulting cravings.

Here's a website that helped tremendously to set up my Macro goals in MFP:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Low-carb and low-fat will be challenging, and you will likely be hungry. You might want to talk to your doc about your actual macro needs, or maybe take your results from the Keto-calculator site and discuss them. For instance, my current goals are 120gm protein (depends on your height, weight, and activity level), 100gm carbs (I chose that level, increased it from 50gm last week), and to fill in calories I can eat up to 97gm fat. This is set up for a total calorie goal of 1750 kcal/ day.

But, to answer your request for lower-carb foods:
    Sweet potatoes, yams, and winter squash have fewer carbs (and are more nutrient dense) than white potatoes.

Spaghetti squash, or juilliened zucchini make decent noodle substitutes. But watch out for the carb content of your sauces.

Berries tend to be lower carb than other fruits.

Cauliflower can be "riced" just google it for the many ways to do it.

Any veggie other than corn, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams are mostly low-carb. Maybe beets are mid-carb, and other root veggies, but they'd easily fit into 80-90 gm/day if you want them.

You might want to use a kitchen scale, it's easier to track carbs when you can weight things out accurately.
  • Cheesy567
    Options
    And congrats on your 12-14lb loss so far!! Don't beat yourself up over a small gain, they happen! Stay the course, and they'll fall away again! You've already proven you can do it!
  • Shrinkydink1977
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'll have to try some new foods. I love broccoli but I've never been interested in cauliflower. I love cucumber. Never been interested in squash. I'll have to change my thinking and be more open minded.
  • Cheesy567
    Options
    Here's a veggie list I used when I was on an allergy elimination diet and needed ideas :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Asparagus, arugula, artichoke, avocado, artichoke hearts, brussels sprouts, basil, beet, beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, burdock, bok choy, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, celeriac, chard, collard greens, chard, cucumber, daikon radish, dandelion greens, fennel root, green cabbage, green beans, jicama, Jerusalem artichoke, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mustard greens, Napa cabbage, okra, onions, red cabbage, radish, shallot, scallion, spinach, summer squash, turnips, water chestnuts, watercress, and zucchini.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    @Shrinkydink1977.... since we seem to live so close, PM me your number I have a couple low carb cook books you could look through.
  • Shrinkydink1977
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Here's a veggie list I used when I was on an allergy elimination diet and needed ideas :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Asparagus, arugula, artichoke, avocado, artichoke hearts, brussels sprouts, basil, beet, beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, burdock, bok choy, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, celeriac, chard, collard greens, chard, cucumber, daikon radish, dandelion greens, fennel root, green cabbage, green beans, jicama, Jerusalem artichoke, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mustard greens, Napa cabbage, okra, onions, red cabbage, radish, shallot, scallion, spinach, summer squash, turnips, water chestnuts, watercress, and zucchini.

Ok YUM to: Asparagus, artichoke, avocado, brussels sprouts, brocolli, cucumber, green beans, leeks, lettuce (especially romaine), onions (especially red), red cabbage (omg red cabbage salad.. wonder how bad that is), scallions, spinach.

Alot of the others I havent tried. I need to learn to like squash but I never have for some reason.
  • pnece
    pnece Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to boost your calorie count, you may need to up your protein. Adding more veggies -- while always a good idea -- won't add many calories. Are you also limiting fruits? They're carbs, but different than the pasta-carb variety. My other suggestion is to check out my buddy Shelly's website at: theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com. She's a weight loss surgery patient turned health blogger. She's got tons of low-carb yummy recipes. I use them too!
  • pnece
    pnece Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    BTW, congrats on making the decision to find a new doc -- and one that specializes in weight management!