Anyone else feel this way...need to make this happen this time.

Options
aowens1785
aowens1785 Posts: 13 Member
I only want to lose 10lbs.

I did 21 day fix and it was a great tool for portion control and I think I lost 2-3 lbs but I didn't stick with it because I got tired of worrying about what I was going to eat every day (planning) so I kinda fell off the bandwagon and ate what I wanted for a couple of weeks but I knew that couldn't last because I do really want to lose weight and feel great for my wedding/honeymoon.

So, I started tracking again and I've had two or three days in a row of at a time where I am at or just below my calorie goal, even staying within my nutrition guidelines for carbs and such.

The anxiety of figuring out what to eat gets to me so I started meal replacement shakes (Shakeology).

Even still I go through the day and do fine until I get home and there are more choices and I'm tired and I feel like I just want to break the rules and do what I want and eat what I want and I'm gonna mess up anyway because I always do (negative thoughts, ugh) so I give in and I blow my hard work for the day and go over my calorie goal.

I've gotten to the point where I don't keep food in my house anymore- food that I want to eat anyway. If I have to spend money and make a trip to get it I usually don't so I can keep myself from overeating that way.

But then there's my mom...I love her dearly but she is a food pusher and she is persistent. My parents' house is a wonderful place-full of relaxation, just hanging out, watching T.V. and taking it easy and food, lots of food, everything that I struggle not to eat- cake, cupcakes, ice cream, bread, lasagna, pizza, fried chicken, Chinese takeout...and no one else is practicing portion control so... you get the idea. I had to decide to reduce my visits to my parents' house- I generally only go once a week with my fiance who is wonderful, knows my struggles, and has good eating habits and self-discipline and helps me stay in check.

I struggle to be consistent in my workouts. I run 3 miles on the treadmill (just 10mph, I'm no athlete) at least one day a week, but some days I do better and get up to 3 or four workouts in.

I tried the 21 day fix workout dvd/plan...burpees and pushups are a struggle for me. The resistance band moves are dangerous for me...I snapped myself and left marks a few times and I kept getting all twisted up in the stupid thing. Plus, I'm pretty sure I was doing all the moves wrong which seems to me a waste of time.

Running is simple though and effective. So, I stick to that mostly. Though I do like to do the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred video (20 minute circuit training with 5 lb hand weights). It's also simple and effective. (You may be getting the gist that I'm not a very coordinated girl and I like to get things done and not waste time.)

The problem is this...I need to be consistent for the next two months to get to my goal. I suck at being consistent. I self-sabotage and I don't know why. Am I secretly afraid to reach my goal? Why? And if so, how do I get fix it? I'm running out of time.

Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• Writer714
    Writer714 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you're already ahead of me. I can't even get in the habit of regular exercise (I think the last time I did any kind of workout was 3 weeks ago), and am not that great at tracking what I eat so I have no idea where I am at the end of the day - if I am over, under, or at my calorie goal.
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am doing well now. I fell off the weight wagon around the holidays and it took me until March to get back on. Every day except Monday I currently work out. Starting to track my nutrition (seriously) again. We will get there.
  • NutritionHealth4Life
    NutritionHealth4Life Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello, I eat in a way that is something that taste good, gives me enough energy, and is a way of life. I am just letting the body fat loss follow. I've spent many years being on restrictive diets to make the scale become a number. I've competed in numerous bikini competitions while eating in that restricted way. I truly became exhausted with restricted eating to make the scale become a number. I feel much happier just eating healthy while exercising and letting my body show me how it wants to look. I eat about 200-250 g carbs per day, 40-60 g healthy fat per day, around 90-120 G protein per day. I'm 5' 10". So, maybe find a way of eating that you can live with instead of hurrying to lose weight. Also, on my page I wrote a daily eating & exercise commitment I could live with. Have a great day girl!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I have felt that way before. I don't now. Here's some of how I got past it:

1) I chose an appropriate calorie goal. I'd bet 90% of the users on this site are set at 1200 calories, and for most people, that's just too low. I do so much better on 1400-1500 calories. I have more energy, my cravings for foods that don't meet my goals are reduced, and my workouts are better.

2) I got on a workout program. I lift 4 days a week and run 2 days a week. That's what I have to do for the program to work, so that's what I do. It's a lot harder to stay committed to exercise if you don't have structure or a goal. You like running, so what if you started training for a 10K?

3) I plan for splurges. One to two days a week, I eat at maintenance (~1900 calories for me). If I go to my in-laws' house, I know I'm going to eat more than I would at home, so I just do it. I still log it, and I'm fine as long as I don't go over 1900. Same deal if I go out to eat with friends.

4) I don't keep tempting foods in the house. If they're not around, I can't eat when I'm bored. I don't think there's anything wrong with avoiding trouble foods.

5) I stopped drinking shakes. They weren't filling me up, and I'd be cranky and hangry an hour later. I have a protein bar and a piece of fruit instead, and the solid food makes a big difference for keeping me full.

6) I stopped worrying about the rate the weight came off at. I know you want to feel great for your wedding and honeymoon, so there is a schedule there. But if you only lose 5 lbs, it's better than not losing anything at all. You'll still be beautiful even if you don't lose anything, and I think not gaining is a respectable goal - you're planning a wedding! There will be stress and emotions and showers and parties and all the food. And hey, if your weight doesn't change, you don't have to worry about last minute alterations. (A girl on my wedding forum switched meds and dropped 30 lbs in the month before her wedding. They did everything they could with the dress, but it didn't fit well at all. Imagine THAT nightmare.)

Don't stress so much. Do the best you can. And go enjoy the whole getting-married thing - that's the really important part!
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You know when you have extra cash to go buy a new shirt or something and when you get to the store you can't find anything you want/like, but when your flat broke you see all these cute things you would love to buy but can't?! Diets are like this too, when you're on one you see all the food you shouldn't eat!!
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ladies try a high protein diet! I can only stay low cal that way it works 3 eggs with chopped onions and red peppers with 1 serving of cheese(breakfast) then 4 hot dogs, Hebrew national 97% reduced fat with an apple (lunch) then for dinner light chicken noodle soup and salad with a little extra chicken breast chopped in it if you drain some of the broth it evens out in calories. Eat that for a day you'll be fuller and you should be 1400 daily calories when you start exercising because you aren't sedientary any more and need the extra energy to work it out and reach that goal. Sometimes cutting calories like using egg whites just isn't as healthy protein builds up muscles and curbs hunger. And salt lovers pour salt into your hand and sprinkle it using your thumb and forefinger you'll use less and thoroughly enjoy it so much more. Also colorful foods help you feel full faster, red plates make you eat less. smaller plates lower your portions and help you feel fuller. Eat bag salad like chips and drink a big cup of water before each meal then an apple after and I swear you will see serious results. I'm starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred within the next week but have lost 2 dress sizes using these tricks be mindful to drink at least 2 liters of water a day it's really the only way to cut drinking your calories.
  • aowens1785
    Options
    Ladies try a high protein diet! I can only stay low cal that way it works 3 eggs with chopped onions and red peppers with 1 serving of cheese(breakfast) then 4 hot dogs, Hebrew national 97% reduced fat with an apple (lunch) then for dinner light chicken noodle soup and salad with a little extra chicken breast chopped in it if you drain some of the broth it evens out in calories. Eat that for a day you'll be fuller and you should be 1400 daily calories when you start exercising because you aren't sedientary any more and need the extra energy to work it out and reach that goal. Sometimes cutting calories like using egg whites just isn't as healthy protein builds up muscles and curbs hunger. And salt lovers pour salt into your hand and sprinkle it using your thumb and forefinger you'll use less and thoroughly enjoy it so much more. Also colorful foods help you feel full faster, red plates make you eat less. smaller plates lower your portions and help you feel fuller. Eat bag salad like chips and drink a big cup of water before each meal then an apple after and I swear you will see serious results. I'm starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred within the next week but have lost 2 dress sizes using these tricks be mindful to drink at least 2 liters of water a day it's really the only way to cut drinking your calories.

Have you started the 30 day shred yet? Maybe we can start at the same time and communicate each day to keep each other accountable!
  • aowens1785
    Options
    I have felt that way before. I don't now. Here's some of how I got past it:

1) I chose an appropriate calorie goal. I'd bet 90% of the users on this site are set at 1200 calories, and for most people, that's just too low. I do so much better on 1400-1500 calories. I have more energy, my cravings for foods that don't meet my goals are reduced, and my workouts are better.

2) I got on a workout program. I lift 4 days a week and run 2 days a week. That's what I have to do for the program to work, so that's what I do. It's a lot harder to stay committed to exercise if you don't have structure or a goal. You like running, so what if you started training for a 10K?

3) I plan for splurges. One to two days a week, I eat at maintenance (~1900 calories for me). If I go to my in-laws' house, I know I'm going to eat more than I would at home, so I just do it. I still log it, and I'm fine as long as I don't go over 1900. Same deal if I go out to eat with friends.

4) I don't keep tempting foods in the house. If they're not around, I can't eat when I'm bored. I don't think there's anything wrong with avoiding trouble foods.

5) I stopped drinking shakes. They weren't filling me up, and I'd be cranky and hangry an hour later. I have a protein bar and a piece of fruit instead, and the solid food makes a big difference for keeping me full.

6) I stopped worrying about the rate the weight came off at. I know you want to feel great for your wedding and honeymoon, so there is a schedule there. But if you only lose 5 lbs, it's better than not losing anything at all. You'll still be beautiful even if you don't lose anything, and I think not gaining is a respectable goal - you're planning a wedding! There will be stress and emotions and showers and parties and all the food. And hey, if your weight doesn't change, you don't have to worry about last minute alterations. (A girl on my wedding forum switched meds and dropped 30 lbs in the month before her wedding. They did everything they could with the dress, but it didn't fit well at all. Imagine THAT nightmare.)

Don't stress so much. Do the best you can. And go enjoy the whole getting-married thing - that's the really important part!

Thank you so much for the tips and support. I see what you mean about keeping it in perspective. I definitely don't want to lose 30 lbs before my wedding, which is a great thing to be able to say because so many struggle with more than just an annoying 10 lbs. I'll just keep keepin' on. I have done a 10k before. Actually I think there is one around here on the 4th of July so I might do that one to keep me on track. Great advice. Thanks so much:)
  • kea9f
    kea9f Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, but I realized recently talking to my sister, it's shocking how far I've come in 3 years since I joined MFP. I eat so much better, and I really think I'm much healthier. I think I've lost something like 10 pounds in all those years, but I don't get headaches every day at 3pm anymore, I don't have any nutrient deficiencies, my skin looks better, my metabolism is way better (I eat sooo much more food now then I did when I was heavier)...I think the key with only being a little over your goal is incremental progress.

For the gym I'm in the same boat. Every time I start to make progress, I stop working out. I have no idea why. My new plan is joining a gym and taking classes. I really have a problem with failing, and I the worst thing in the world for me is people staring at me and judging me, so I never work out in public. BUT when I do, it turns out I push much much harder to try and keep up. At home I don't push myself the same. So I signed up for a group personal training class, which I didn't even know was I thing. I'm hoping since I paid for it, and the people in class will know if I quit, that I'll be able to stick with it this time. Could you maybe try classes at the gym? If it was new and different, that might be better motivation.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do, I hope you find something that works!!!