Gout

Options
vilenski193
vilenski193 Posts: 49 Member
Hey! My friend who is doing this with me has gotten gout? Ugh does this diet cause it? What should he take ? A supplement ? Help

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ouch. It's not common, but if he's prone to gout attacks, it can trigger it.

Keto causes uric acid levels to rise in the blood. Eating carbs causes it to drop back down. Supposedly, it's the change in level that acts as a trigger, so consistency in carb intake might be the best defense.

It can take months for levels to drop down to normal.

Phinney-Ketoadaptation-Uric-Acid.005.jpg
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    If you have Gout, following this WO can aggravate the condition because of the amount of protein those on a LCHF WOE eat. Gout is caused by too much Uric Acid in the blood. Uric Acid is a substance that normally forms when the body breaks down Purines, a chemical found in many foods. When Uric Acid levels in your blood are too high, the Uric Acid often forms hard crystals in the joints. Foods that contain high levels of Purines should be avoided. Here is a link to a list of foods showing those highest in Purine content, moderately high in Purine, and those lower in Purine:

http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm

Hope this info helps your friend. You can also find out a lot about gout / Uric Acid / Purines just by Googling and doing some research.
  • wabmester
    Options
    @ladipoet, keto is a special case. Not so much because of the protein consumed, but more due to ketones competing with uric acid in the kidney's control of acid-base balance. Blame the ketones.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My coworker who's gone keto with me has found that this WOE actually PREVENTS his gout flare ups, so it's different for each person.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    my SO gets gout, I can't remember why, I just know that it sucks, he just had a flare up, it's not fun. I guess some people are just more prone to it than others.
  • vilenski193
    vilenski193 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys !
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You may want to drink ACV. My husband has gout. Being on this WOE caused a big flare up. So right now he has cut back on the amount of protein and upped his carb (mainly from veggies and fruit). he rarely eats bread, pasta, etc... He is not on low carb, but lower carb. He takes ACV 2-3 times a day and it really helps. He also takes medication for the gout as well. But if wasn't taking the ACV, the medication alone was not enough to prevent gout flare up every once in awhile. Our family are big meat eaters and it is difficult to avoid during big family gatherings.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    A related question, a while back I tripped up some stairs, badly, completely ripped off my toenail, the whole nine yards. After a while it was still hurting so I went to a podiatrist. He decided I had gout (which I rather incredulously asked how tripping up stairs could cause my kidneys to malfunction) and did a blood test and said 'yes I've decided you have gout from your bloodwork'. Is it possible for a low carb diet to cause a false positive reading in bloodwork for gout? Since I ignored him and just rested the foot till it healed, I've had zero additional problems, and never believed it was gout since pressure on the joint actually relieved the pain, where I read that with gout, even the slightest touch on the inflamed joint is excruciating.
  • wabmester
    Options
    If he's just going on levels of uric acid in your blood, then yeah, that's just a keto thing.

If he tested the fluid in your joint for uric acid *crystals*, then that would suggest gout.
  • BogQueen1
    Options
    Just blood work. He didn't test the joint fluid. He just assumed since I was overweight and my toe hurt I had gout.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just blood work. He didn't test the joint fluid. He just assumed since I was overweight and my toe hurt I had gout.

@Aschindler412 I want a frowny face or angry face next to those "like" and "awesome" buttons for this one. GRR.
  • BogQueen1
    Options
    Heh. Yeah this was probably a year or so ago. Later, after I had dropped off keto for a while, my PCP ordered some bloodwork before putting me on Metformin testing kidney function and it all came back normal. I assumed it was the low carb, but wasn't sure. I mean I suppose when you are a doctor, and someone comes in presenting symptoms, you would naturally go with '90% of the people who come in presenting the same symptoms have X, so I'm going to put you in with the X group'. Unfortunately this leads to weight being blamed for a very wide variety of problems.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Heh. Yeah this was probably a year or so ago. Later, after I had dropped off keto for a while, my PCP ordered some bloodwork before putting me on Metformin testing kidney function and it all came back normal. I assumed it was the low carb, but wasn't sure. I mean I suppose when you are a doctor, and someone comes in presenting symptoms, you would naturally go with '90% of the people who come in presenting the same symptoms have X, so I'm going to put you in with the X group'. Unfortunately this leads to weight being blamed for a very wide variety of problems.

Sadly because of those assumptions they also mis diagnose people who don't fit all those criteria. My SO was treated for a year with cortisone shots shoe inserts and a boot because of his pain. Stupid Dr never even tested him, he went to a new Dr and as soon add she looked at his foot said, oh you have gout. Wtf. His skinny muscular active etc so they didn't put him in that category like they do over weight people. F'ers