Weight loss on LCHF and Maintenance calories

Options
Adi4Fitness
Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
Are the maintenance calories less than an average person at your goal weight? ... metabolic adaptation and such...

If so how do we prevent it.

To illustrate ... say a 150 pound inactive person burns 1950 calories....
If you lose weight on LCHF and reach 150 pounds do you also burn 1950 calories or is it something like 1450 ...

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Are the maintenance calories less than an average person at your goal weight? ... metabolic adaptation and such...

If so how do we prevent it.

To illustrate ... say a 150 pound inactive person burns 1950 calories....
    If you lose weight on LCHF and reach 150 pounds do you also burn 1950 calories or is it something like 1450 ...

It should be around the same. I don't see why it would be any worse for LCHF than any other diet. It might be less due to the likelihood that we are eating more protein. Some believe LCHF induces a metabolic advantage though studies don't seem to confirm that to a great extent.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Different for everybody. Experiment with your intake and find out what works for you.

I've been in maintenance for about 9 months now and just eat to satiety. No calorie counting, no carb counting, just lowish carb and appetite-driven. Weight has been stable.

No idea if I've undergone any "metabolic adaptation," but my appetite regulation seems fine, and isn't that what matters?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    yeah no clue, I maintain 148-150 on like 1990 calories, I have no clue what I was eating when I weighed 150 before I gained and then lost weight so I couldn't say if its any different
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I find that my maintenance point is about 1100 calories. If I eat more than that I gain. I have gone from 228 to 148 over the last 6 years. I hope to loose 20 more lbs over the next year or so. I have no idea what my maintenance level will be then. I'll remain low carb the rest of my life.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @Jan93L - a maintenance level of 1100 calories is kind of low. Are you losing on more calories then or lower?

• Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If I eat 1100 calls a day my weight loss stalls. I'm not tall(5'2") and my thyroid is borderline low normal. Not low enough for them to prescribe anything but low enough to slow metabolism. Plus I'm fairly sedentary due to a foot issue. I hope I can have more calories during maintenance, but won't know for six months or a year. I still have 25 to 30 lbs to loose.