Debilitating Tiredness

Options
ClarissaCLD
ClarissaCLD Posts: 212 Member
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the best board to post on, but it's somewhere to start.

I know with being extremely overweight and having diabetes that isn't under great control, I am going to be more tired than most. It goes with the territory!

But these last few months I would go as far as to say it is debilitating.

I have been eating really healthy, doing aquafit twice a week and had really good levels with my diabetes. However, I am still sat at my desk literally falling asleep. I am so tired I just want to cry. It is affecting my work, my home, everything.

I know the best answer is to lose weight and have good control of my diabetes, but that is a long slow process. I am so tired, I don't have the energy to do what I need to do to lose weight.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Any advice anyone can offer will be soooooooo welcome. I can't carry on like this.

Many thanks

Claire

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, I have. It was always extreme tiredness to the point of falling asleep sitting up at my desk because I couldn't stay awake. One time my coworkers had my boss come by and check to see if I was alive.

It happened at home in the evening also ... I was so 'tired' I'd need a nap and then still slept at my normal time that night.

I finally tracked it down to having had a meal within the previous couple of hours. And, I think it was related to the amount of carb I had in relation to fat and protein ... that doesn't mean the meal was high calorie, just carb heavy.

PS ... I think it had to do with my blood glucose being too high because of the inbalance of the macros. Get your diabeties blood glucose numbers under control ... it will take time to do so ... and those symptoms should improve. Also ... have you mentioned this to your doctor? Please do.

If you don't have a glood glucose monitor, try to get one ... your doc can give you a script for the testing strips ... so check with his/her office as to which meter they prefer or with your insurance as to which meter is covered. Then work on getting that under better control ... and add a short walk to your schedule for after lunch and dinner. The walk helps to move that sugar out of your blood and into your cells where it belongs. Even 5 minutes will help.
  • ClarissaCLD
    Options
    Hi Nikion901
    I am in the UK, so don't need to worry about insurance. I have a metre and test regularly as I am on insulin. I agree I do feel the worst post meals and feel my best pre meal. If only I could stop eating!
    I am getting much better control of my levels, to the point I have had a couple of hypos.
    But it is every day at work and is really affecting my productivity and quality.
    I have also significantly reduced my carbs as that means I can take less insulin.
    I guess it might just be a case of waiting until I have lost more weight and had good control for longer. But is just awful. Makes everything else seem 10 times worse.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old you are, but have you asked your doctor about your iron levels? Sometimes, it's not always about the diabetes. I was so anemic for awhile, I wasn't allowed to donate blood anymore, and once I was, the doctor said only twice a year instead of 4. I started taking iron pills, and was much better.
    The exercising suggestion isn't a bad idea either. Even if you only take a 5 minute walk around your workplace after lunch, it can make a difference.
    Good luck.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    When I started lowering my carbs I felt so tired to the point where I would be exhausted walking a few feet, so my experience was around the way I ate. I ultimately upped my carbs (via veggies) and felt the energy come back. Your issue could be a number of things though, so your Doc may be able to provide more insight. Hope you feel better :)
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about it again last night.
    Dehydration can also be the culprit. I've noticed on those days when I don't drink enough water, I feel lethargic. A few glasses of water, and, excuse the pun, I am right as rain.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You may want to ask your doctor to check your thyroid and hormone levels.
  • ClarissaCLD
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »
    You may want to ask your doctor to check your thyroid and hormone levels.

Had blood tests yesterday.
  • ClarissaCLD
    Options
    Thyroid is normal. My full blood count came back abnormal, so the nurse has asked them to also check B12 and Ferritin. I will get those results next Thursday.
  • cdebracy
    Options
    Thyroid is normal. My full blood count came back abnormal, so the nurse has asked them to also check B12 and Ferritin. I will get those results next Thursday.

Good luck. Hopefully they can help.
  • cdebracy
    Options
    My wife just had a blood test to see if she had one or both of the gene mutations that make it difficult to absorb B12.

Turns out she has both mutations. If you're still tired and your hormone levels look good, that may be a test worth running.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Do you check your blood sugar levels when this tiredness comes on? Before I was diagnosed I found myself extremely tired after carb heavy meals. Once I got my blood sugar under control the symptoms disappeared
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
  • aquamomma
    aquamomma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Could it be sleep apnea? I used to be that way but the Cpap helps. I second the B12 tests, and also vitamin D. Hope you get it straightened out.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    are you taking metformin? this leaches B12 out of the body plus other nutrients