Question for you bone broth makers

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
Are rotisserie chicken bones worth making broth out of? I've only tried making it once but I'm on a rotisserie chicken kick right now and planning on buying them more often. Can I get good quality gelatin broth from them or am I just making chicken flavored water?

Replies

• Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    They always worked fine for me. I simmer them for several hours to extract as much flavor and gelatin as possible.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I use them and they work fine. :)
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I usually simmer mine 24 hours. Rotisserie bones are fine. Don't forget the tbsp, or two, of Apple cider vinegar added to the pot. Supposed to help pull the minerals from the bones!

Thank you! I remember now doing them in the crock pot for 24 hrs. Thanks for the reminder! I had totally forgotten that part.

Thank you all for your input!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/bone-broth-broth-can-cure-cold-idm-6-2/
    I used 2 rotisserie chicken carcasses with this recipe. It worked well :)
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ok, winter is here in Australia, and having never been a broth fan, I reckon its time I try. In addition to
    kmn118 wrote: »
    post - thank you, do you guys have favourite sites for me to find good bone broth recipes.. I reckon using the crock pot is a great idea, I'd like to make some soups to eat when i come home on cold nights.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    I think I may buy 3 or 4 rotisserie chickens tomorrow. Pick all the meat for the week then make broth. My son is so hungry these days, he comes home from school ravenous and loves his dark meat chicken. Good snack plus broth for me.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hey @FitToLead, long list of recipe sites in the Launch Pad!

@nicsflyingcircus, I've begun using the bones right away, too, instead of collecting them in the freezer (taking up space!). I purchased whole chickens for 49 cents a pound, and love using the whole carcass for broth!

I love the smell of the broth simmering, but some will use the crock pot in their garage because they don't care for the smell. We are all different, in so many ways! :blush:
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Hey @FitToLead, long list of recipe sites in the Launch Pad!
    Thanks so much. .. I don;t use facebook, or other forms of social media, it is taking me a while to find my way around this huge landscape of info.. Checking the Launch pad was obvious- well, like most obvious things, obvious when you know..

So thanks muchly.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    You're welcome very muchly! :smiley:
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate calories and macros for bone broth?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate calories and macros for bone broth?
    It's damn near impossible! I just go with a store bought one that's already in the database and cross my fingers that it's close enough. So far it hasn't hurt anything. For chicken I use Broth Bliss's Chicken Bone Broth entry
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I haven't logged my food since I began making it, so, I can't really advise on that one! @Phrick's idea sounds good enough to me. :)