intermittent fasting

Options
arkansasteriann
arkansasteriann Posts: 22 Member
does anyone else do intermittent fasting or every other day fasting?

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Yes, quite a crew here who do. Bullet proof coffee is also part of a fasting routine for some, including me. Early dinner, late lunch and a BPC for breakfast (butter and coconut oil or brain octance / high mct oil plus black coffee blended rigourously). Interesting to explore what works for each of us :) any specific query?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've done it daily having BPC for a year now. Only rarely do I eat an actual breakfast.
    I don't really watch the clock though... I just don't eat after dinner (with rare exceptions) then have coffee in the morning and lunch around 2pm every day. Based completely off my hunger.
  • arkansasteriann
    arkansasteriann Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    recently starting doing every other day with 500 calories and wondered if anyone here has had success with it as opposed to a specific window of eating each day. thanks for responding.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I had been doing it until I had surgery on May 9 but opted out for a few weeks as I wasn't getting in sufficient calories (imo) for recovery. I definitely plan to go back to it though!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Daily 1p-9p window, full fast (i.e. no BPC)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Daily, 4-8p window, partial fast as I have 3oz Fairlife in my morning coffee.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Daily window ranging from 12 (noon) to 10 pm. Typically I start eating at 4-5 pm. I don't count the hours, but tailor it to my schedule. Sometimes I throw in longer semi fasts (2-3 days with 1 small meal per day).

IME, I can maintain on daily eating window as long as I keep my calories within reasonable limits, but to lose scale weight I have to do very low calorie days, similar to ADF or 5:2. But we're all different... Curiously, I'm less hungry on fasting days than full 3 meals/day.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I do fasting when it's convenient for my schedule. My breakfast is always coffee with HWC, so it isn't the true fast though. On really busy days, it's easy to skip lunch and then just eat dinner. I don't go crazy with calories at dinner. Fasting can really make things easier when you don't have to stop and cook and eat! I like the idea of keeping my insulin low for extended periods of time - I think that can really be beneficial. I'd say I do lunch skipping 2 or 3 days per week.

I agree with @Foamroller - on days I eat more, I'm hungrier! :smiley:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    And just to throw it out there for OP or anyone else reading, IF isn't meant to be calorie restriction necessarily. It's important not to create too big of a deficit, and especially when combined with LCHF you may find you are not eating enough.
    It can be easy to crash and burn and blame IF when it just might be your deficit. IF tells you when to eat ... LCHF tells you what to eat ... neither protocol tells you how much to eat. Something to keep in mind.

Very good point. It's best not to force yourself into too low calorie eating, especially as an every day thing.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    OP, ty for the message. Here is an overview article which is fairly good.
    http://burnfatnotsugar.com/intermittent-fasting.html

...and if you really wanna delve into a more detailed blog post, there's lots of goodies at leangains.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html?m=1
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Daily. 18:6 with an occasional 23:1 or 22:2 about once or twice a week. Nothing but black coffee or water until I break the fast then I try to get my full calories in (1200-1400) but that's hard on the 23:1 days.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Foamroller Thank you for posting the burnfatnotsugar link. Although I have gathered this information from various other sources, I bookmarked it so that I may reread to reinforce and motivate myself. :)
    The IF protocols list and the LCHF pyramid are excellent.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    IF isn't meant to be calorie restriction necessarily. It's important not to create too big of a deficit, and especially when combined with LCHF you may find you are not eating enough.
    IF tells you when to eat ... LCHF tells you what to eat ... neither protocol tells you how much to eat. Something to keep in mind.

Yes, thank you for the reminder. I can end up on too few calories given my tendency to eat 2 meals a day most days because, like
    Foamroller wrote: »
    to lose scale weight I have to do very low calorie days, similar to ADF or 5:2. ... and I'm less hungry on fasting days than full 3 meals/day.