Idiot Needs Guide to Macros??!!

Options
sas1uk
sas1uk Posts: 37 Member
:o Hi All,

This is my first visit to this board after losing 55lbs and lurking.........(!)

Despite being of average intelligence, I'm still unsure how to set up macros to my best advantage. Is there a formula??

I still have 50lbs to lose and the LC approach works for me so can anyone advise please?

Many thanks
Sas

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Try this:http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Use it to adjust macros to desired levels, then plug those numbers into your food diary here on mfp!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!! :smiley:
  • sas1uk
    Options
    Thanks SO much for getting back, I'll try that now!
    Sas
  • sas1uk
    Options
    Woo hoo!
    Wish I'd asked earlier now. Just what I need. Thanks again Karlottap!
    Sas
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Btw: remove the "idiot" from your thoughts! :smiley: Think kind words about yourself! You're a "learner". Our brains tend to believe what we think, and when we think negatively (we all do it! :neutral: )it affects how we think about ourselves! Work on changing the thought processes, you deserve to be kind to yourself! :blush: It takes a while to develop this habit, but we all deserve self love, and that begins with positive self talk! Hugs!
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Grats on your loss so far, that is a great loss!
    I understand the lurker bit, I was a lurker on the main boards for a couple years, hardly ever posted. I joined this board a few months ago and I do post a lot more, it's just a comfortable and friendly space! ^_^
    Feel free to ask questions, I've always gotten helpful replies on this board, no one here has made me feel uncomfortable or stupid for asking anything.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the OP for asking and then to Karlottap for responding with the link to the calculator. It's been about two months and 14 pounds since I ran the numbers and needed to run them again to check. I've set up a reminder to do this monthly so I can adjust my goals based on my newer and (hopefully) lower weights. New mantra for me is, "Can't become complacent, can't become complacent, can't become complacent."
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Kellryn wrote: »
    Grats on your loss so far, that is a great loss!
    I understand the lurker bit, I was a lurker on the main boards for a couple years, hardly ever posted. I joined this board a few months ago and I do post a lot more, it's just a comfortable and friendly space! ^_^
    Feel free to ask questions, I've always gotten helpful replies on this board, no one here has made me feel uncomfortable or stupid for asking anything.

VERY comfortable and friendly!! Love it here!!
  • sas1uk
    Options
    Thanks All!
    I'm delighted with my weight loss and think I've figured out the best Atkins modifications for me. I've still to figure out my max carb count before gaining though.
    Each week, the variables change as I'm trying different types and frequencies of exercise to see what suits.
    MFP has been a godsend for me. Over 50 and discovered it 5 years ago. It really has " rescued" me, as has low carb!

Thanks again everyone.
    Perhaps I'll be braver and post more often now.
    Sas :-)
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I tried the calculator and it said 25 g of carbs and _g of fat and the same for protein? ?? Did I do something wrong or do I just not understand. I have desk job and weigh 275 and am 5'7" can someone help me please I'm so confused.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I tried the calculator and it said 25 g of carbs and _g of fat and the same for protein? ?? Did I do something wrong or do I just not understand. I have desk job and weigh 275 and am 5'7" can someone help me please I'm so confused.

It provides you with a guide on how to select your protein amount. It also offers a suggested amount of carbs (it assumes net carbs, which is carbs minus fiber, but you can put in a higher number if you just count all carbs, regardless of source). Once you fill in carbs and protein, the calculator will fill in the fat.
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    OK thanks I'm not sure why I can't wrap my head around this. Low fat was drilled into my head for so many years it's hard to retrain the brain...how do you know how much protein to put in?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    OK thanks I'm not sure why I can't wrap my head around this. Low fat was drilled into my head for so many years it's hard to retrain the brain...how do you know how much protein to put in?

Aim for .8g per pound of body weight. For you that would be about 120g of protein. Don't stress hitting it or the fat amount exactly. Any given day just aim to be between 100 and 140, for example. Some days can be lower while other days are higher that way you don't feel like you absolutely must eat exactly the right amount every day. It's not that extremely big of a deal.
  • treehugnmama
    Options
    Thanks so much. That helped a lot!!